Author Topic: Dog doors....  (Read 11955 times)

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
Re: Dog doors....
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2005, 10:25:20 pm »
I thought long and hard about a dog door, but then decided that I may as well just leave the back door standing wide open, because a dog door for the three I have will accommodate a burglar any day.  So, I opted not to install a dog door at all.  I try to take short trips away and there is always someone here, but I realize that is not a viable option for everyone.

I'm being sarcastic, of course, but wouldn't it be so neat if we gave up all of our electronic crap and material possessions so we could live without worrying about thieves...then we could just leave the door open all the time and throw a can of tear gas inside each time we come home...in case there are any lunatics hiding out waiting for us.   ;D
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2005, 10:29:45 pm »
Actually, on a more serious note, most of the people I've spoken to who have been burglarized were hit by people they knew.  I am fortunate to have never known anyone like that, but whenever I ask that is usually the case and it amazes me.

About eight years ago my mother left her home in the care of a friend she'd known for several years.  That so-called friend loaded a UHaul with my mother's stuff...a lot of antiques and irreplaceable family heirlooms.  When my mother came home...well... you can imagine.

There are a lot of strangers who will not bother a house with dogs.  In fact, they will go for a house with a security system before they bother the dogs.  But, if it is someone the dogs are familiar with, then they may let them right in.  And the culprit could be anyone...the big brother of our child's best friend, for example.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 12:55:16 pm »
About eight years ago my mother left her home in the care of a friend she'd known for several years.  That so-called friend loaded a UHaul with my mother's stuff...a lot of antiques and irreplaceable family heirlooms.  When my mother came home...well... you can imagine.

There are a lot of strangers who will not bother a house with dogs.  In fact, they will go for a house with a security system before they bother the dogs.  But, if it is someone the dogs are familiar with, then they may let them right in.  And the culprit could be anyone...the big brother of our child's best friend, for example.

:o That is a terrible story! I feel so bad for your mom.

I know that when we come home zoey is quiet and starts wagging her tail as soon as she confirms it is us. But when we are home and someone comes to the door, zoey barks like a madwoman because she knows it can't be us. Sometimes I wonder is she barks when we aren't home and someone comes to the door, I think she does but I am not sure. I think the sight of my barking 100+lb dog would probably put off most burgulars. But I also think that if they weren't intimidated and gave her some cheese she would want to be their friend instead of protect the homestead.

I saw this show on discovery channel or something called 'it takes a theif' that have a fake burgalur break into peoples home to show them how unsafe they were being about protecting their house. anyways, the episode i saw the people thought their two med-large dogs would fight the burgalur, but instead they just followed him around sniffing him.

RIP former BPO

Offline slickerk

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2005, 10:00:00 am »
That is a terrible story... but it is true in most cases. MY grandmother's house was burglarized too, by none other than her neighbor. But yeah, I can't see anyone trying to come through a dog door when they don't know what is waiting for them on the other side. I knew a couple of thieves in my younger days, known of them were that dumb.

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2005, 10:21:22 am »
No has mentioned the reason why we decided not to get a dog door. We had the door open one day cause it was a great day and I fell asleep on the couch when I woke up it looked like I had been put out. There was so much stuff out in the back yard from couch pillows to towels from the bathroom to socks and underwear and shoes. NEVER again will I make that mistake plus what someone said about the cats bringing in things, well I don't have cats but my dogs something catch things and bring them on the porch but if I came home and found a dead animal in my house I'd freak

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2005, 10:33:59 am »
never thought about that maybe thats what they were doing

Offline Lucysdad

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2005, 12:22:56 am »
The first time I brought Lucy over to Nikki's house (when we first started dating) Mutt met Lucy and I at the front door, they sniffed and said hello, then Mutt went off on his own. We, Nikki and I, walked Lucy around the house a bit and ended up in the kitchen next to the back door.

Suddenly there's this whirring sound and as Lucy turns to investigate,  Mutt comes popping out through this little mechanical door. Lucy stood and stared and sniffed and waited very patiently, she thought she found the "Doggy Dispenser" and was eager to see what kind of pup might come out next.......... .........

Since then Mutt's electronic dog door is known "round here as the "Doggy Dispenser"
Lucy's Dad (Gene)

Outside a Dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a Dog it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2005, 01:04:05 am »
LMAO re> the doggie dispenser..... lolollololol  too funny

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2005, 08:49:07 am »
\Suddenly there's this whirring sound and as Lucy turns to investigate, Mutt comes popping out through this little mechanical door. Lucy stood and stared and sniffed and waited very patiently, she thought she found the "Doggy Dispenser" and was eager to see what kind of pup might come out next.......... .........

lol :D
RIP former BPO

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2005, 08:50:40 am »
Would that be like the PEZ dispenser? 

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2005, 09:35:48 am »
 :)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2005, 10:59:18 am »
only you moon!  only you! 
 ;D

Offline Lucysdad

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2005, 01:35:23 am »
Damn, those must be really small doggies!
Lucy's Dad (Gene)

Outside a Dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a Dog it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Offline fcsantos

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2005, 07:00:50 pm »
I am thinking about installing commercial sliding glass doors that open on movement. This seems like the only thing that may work for my beast. Anyone think this is a good idea?