Author Topic: i need more feeding advice  (Read 8697 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
i need more feeding advice
« on: April 04, 2007, 06:24:53 am »
ok, i feed diesel once in the morning and once in the afternoon.  usually about 9-10am and then again at about 4pm and we'll take him out hourly until 12 midnight.  here's the problem.  the past week diesel hasn't been able to hold it all night   ???  he wakes us up every 2 hours even after his midnight potty break (to the minute) and he'll give you two warnings, first he'll whine quietly and then he'll bark right in your ear.  if you don't RUN to the door, he has an accident.  you can tell he's really trying to hold it because he's squatting the whole time he's walking, he just can't do it.  how often is it ok to feed dogs?  could i feed him at 9-10am and then again at lunch time, or would his body just everything right through him?  he still needs some weight on him, so i don't want to go down to feeding him once a day  :-\
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 06:25:59 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Anakalia

Re: i need more feeding advice
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 06:28:14 am »
Is he wanting to do the #1 or #2 every two hours?  If it's just a pee thing then you could try putting up the water a couple hours before bedtime. 

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 06:31:10 am »
he poops, it's so nasty, it's the last thing i wanna clean up at 2am in the morning lol
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 06:31:45 am »
I just want to say I sympathize, I can't imagine still doing those potty runs at 10 mos? Oh lord, what have I gotten myself into. :-X Shouldn't he be able to hold it longer than every hour at that age? Gosh, I was hoping so. :-\

I'm sure you'll get some great advice. Ours get fed bright and early at around 6-6:30 am and then I usually don't feed them again until 3. I'm trying to work out a better schedule too. If I feed them sooner than 3 they didn't seem hungry but once 3 is their last meal, I'm sure they're hungry again.. I just don't know. Maybe I need to throw another meal in there in the early evening.. well I'm just talking out loud. I'll be interested to hear what advice you get.

Anakalia

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 06:35:54 am »
Hmmmm, Koby goes about twice a day (in the morning and before bed). I feed him at 8:30am then again between 8-9pm.  I started feeding him so late last summer, it was soooo hot out and he wouldn't get an appetite until the sun went down, he got on a schedule and we just stuck with it.  Sometimes I'll give him some food around lunchtime if he's giving me that "Mom I'm starving" look. lol Good luck, cleaning up poo at 2am does NOT sound fun at all!

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 06:45:12 am »
Hmmmm, Koby goes about twice a day (in the morning and before bed). I feed him at 8:30am then again between 8-9pm.  I started feeding him so late last summer, it was soooo hot out and he wouldn't get an appetite until the sun went down, he got on a schedule and we just stuck with it.  Sometimes I'll give him some food around lunchtime if he's giving me that "Mom I'm starving" look. lol Good luck, cleaning up poo at 2am does NOT sound fun at all!

Twice a day??!! Man, I'll trade you mine for Koby ;D That would be heaven

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 06:46:56 am »
diesel is usually REALLY good about holding it all night.  as a matter of fact, he usually won't go potty after about 7 and holds it until 6 in the morning.  he just started this, i'm not sure why.  there's nothing wrong with him, so i figure maybe it's just his schedule.  since he's starting to gain weight maybe his body isn't sucking as much up as it used to so he has to go potty more now   ???  i'm not sure how stuff like that works.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 06:52:54 am »
Gosh, I hope you can figure it out..that kinda clean up would be awful. Ours don't do #2 past like late afternoon either, only have pee accidents. Maybe try moving his last meal back a little and see? If the accidents appear normal that's what I would try.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 07:00:41 am »
do you mean moving it back later?  that's a death warrant.  tried that, that's why we're feeding at 4 now ha ha.  if you feed him after 5 he jumps on the back door all night and screams horribly loud, regardless of how many times he's been out.  at least now he isn't jumping on the door and waking the whole house up ha ha.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 09:01:16 am »
do you mean moving it back later?  that's a death warrant.  tried that, that's why we're feeding at 4 now ha ha.  if you feed him after 5 he jumps on the back door all night and screams horribly loud, regardless of how many times he's been out.  at least now he isn't jumping on the door and waking the whole house up ha ha.

No I meant push it back a little- feed a little earlier, and make sure he goes the last time he's out before bed (easier said than done I know). You say he's waking up now every 2 hours at night, is that to go #2? or both? That's a heck of a lot of poo if that's the case. :o
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 09:37:25 am by mama23+pyrs2 »

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 09:02:03 am »
Anything at all new in his diet? It just seems very odd

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 09:32:23 am »
I haven't always been on enough to remember if Diesel has any specific food issues... but it seems strange to me that he would need to poo every 2 hours.  You said it's nasty? Like loosey-goosey? I wonder if he has a "bug" in his track, or a metabolism issue or something.

Bella goes two-three times a day, usually once in the morning, once in the evening and sometimes on our walk at the park.  She gets fed similar to Koby; once about 7:00 am and then again at 7:00pm. I guess I don't know Diesel's whole story, but it seems like things are "moving" too fast in his system, ya know?
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 09:40:29 am »
he does go poop and pee every time at night, although the pee i think is more out of habit.  this just recently started, he usually only goes like 3 times a day.  he doesn't usually have any tummy issues or anything, but right now it's odd b/c he either has diahhrea from "h*ll-o" or he is constipated but this is only at night, during the day he's fine (or maybe his system is just empty)  ???  no new foods or stressors in his life.  maybe he does have a tummy virus, but then wouldn't some of our other dogs be acting like this since most virus' are contagious or at least wouldn't he act like this all day too?  during the day he doesn't ask to go potty, he doesn't have diahhrea (his poop is normal), nothing.  it just starts right after i go to bed.  he sleeps in the room with us, so i know it's not anxiety (unless he's suddenly anxious that i'm asleep?)  also, we haven't switched out bed time routine at all.  nothing new there. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 09:41:55 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 09:42:51 am »
we have had a fecal done, and nothing there.  not a single type of worm (we had him wormed for every worm imaginable a few months back b/c the vet couldn't get a poop sample)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 09:43:13 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 09:47:08 am »
nothing (which confirmed that he wasn't gaining weight at first purely b/c he was upset)  the second time we went and he wasn't gaining weight still, the vet tested for everything under the sun.  twice.  diesel wasn't as tight butted that trip.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)