Author Topic: i need more feeding advice  (Read 8516 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: i need more feeding advice
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 09:51:35 am »
tonight i'll have to "pretend" to be asleep and see if something is upsetting him.  nothing has changed though.  i guess i'll do that and push his supper to lunch and cut down on amounts.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 01:25:30 pm »
Wow this is weird, my papillon merlin just had the SAME THING. he is 2 years old and he is usually crated at night next to the bed, well three days ago at like 1am he started screaming so i let him out and he pooped, loose like you described, then went back to bed, then again at 3 am the same, and at 5am, and then i had to go to work!
during the day he was fine!

Usually with this i would recommend holding his food for 24 hours and let his system settle a little, i cant do that with merlin cos he is so small and they can get hypoglycemic if not fed.
So I took him to the vet yesturday and he doesnt have any "friends", but is on an intestinal antibiotic and was fine last night.

I would hold his food for one day and give him a couple of spoonfuls of non fat plain yogurt with active bacteria in the morning and at night, and let him have access to water. Let his insides rest and then go back to normal feedings the next day, and see what happens. If it does start again go to the vet cos he may have a bad bug in his tummy.

The good news is none of the other dogs got it. But if he is consistantly good and then this starts to happen, it usually is a medical problem.

GOOD LUCK!
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 02:29:20 pm »
Huh, that is interesting.  gunther went thru a similar thing, but only for about a week or so.  Luckily he would come to wake me up if he had to go (Keiko does not do that).  It cleared up on it's own right as I was thinking about making a vet appt.

Have you upped the food level at all?  Gunther normally goes 2-3 times day and gets fed at 11am, 5pm, and 9pm........whi ch will have to change once we move again and I don't have my dad to feed everyone midday.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2007, 02:16:37 am »
nope, i haven't changed how much he eats, or anything.  everything is the same as always here.  i'm super big on schedules ha ha.  the only thing i can think of is peanut usually sleeps on my pillow and recently he started sleeping at the foot of the bed under the blanket.  with diesel being so "attached" to him, could it upset him super bad if he can't reach to check on his "little nut man" at night?  (the foot of the bed is towards the corner where diesel can't get in between).  that's the only thing i can think of, because during the day time peanut is attached to diesel's feet.

p.s.-  peanut got the nn "little nut man" because he looks like a peanut, and because he has a stuffie that if you throw on the floor the second it hits he runs to it and starts humping it eweeeeeeeeeee.  sick nn i know, but it fits him ha ha.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Anakalia

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 02:21:39 am »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA A!!! Little Nut Man is too funny!  Maybe Diesel gets nervous when he doesn't know where LNM is?   I know if Koby's nervous it makes him have to "go". 

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 02:24:12 am »
that's the ONLY thing i can think of.  i asked hubby he said he couldn't think of anything so i stayed up until about 1 or 2 and that seemed to upset diesel some?   ???
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2007, 03:32:21 am »
that's the ONLY thing i can think of.  i asked hubby he said he couldn't think of anything so i stayed up until about 1 or 2 and that seemed to upset diesel some?   ???

So he was up again every 2 hours? Gosh I hope something as simple as the dog changing where he sleeps wouldn't upset him to that degree. Is he super sensitive about everything else?

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2007, 03:38:35 am »
diesel is very *mental* sometimes.  we got him from a horrible breeder, and he's still messed up in his head (he was 4 months old and weighed about 20 something lbs, had sores on almost every joint on his body, missing hair, and was terrified of everything.  we put him out in the yard not realizing how freaky his was and he almost impaled himself on a stick b/c he got scared of who knows what).  we don't think he'll ever be 100% right.  we've had him almost 6 months and still can't take him out in public without worrying about him spazzing out with his eyes rolling in the back of his head, etc.  we adopted another dane in january i think and it caused him to stop gaining weight and he got really bad looking for a while again, the day she left he was fine.  he is extremely sensitive to his environment.  the slightest change in something will cause him not to eat, and be very skiddish again.  guess it's a good thing we're such a stickler on schedules ha ha.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 03:39:59 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2007, 03:48:03 am »
Oh my goodness, I had no idea. Well I suppose something minor like that could upset him that much then, wow, he sounds like a lot of work, bless you! Poor guy :( I hope he eventually grows out of most of that, I guess it hasn't been that long in actuality since he's been out of the bad enviroment.

I wish I had more ideas, that one sounds complicated considering his history.. :-\ That's a tough one.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 03:48:43 am by mama23+pyrs2 »