Author Topic: Who else has Psychotic Family members  (Read 4312 times)

Offline morph's mom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Morpheus
    • View Profile
Who else has Psychotic Family members
« on: March 31, 2007, 03:20:24 pm »
I was just thinking ( I know it can be dangerous ) but anyway....  Since I have noticed that I am not the only one with PSYCHOTIC family memebers on here.  I have a question for you all. 

How many of you had dogs when you were growing up, but now everytime your families come to your house they complain about your dogs??

I have had dogs my whole life.. My dad used to raise German Shepards and we ALWAYS had dogs around our farm.  But now as most of you know he is crazy and hates MY dogs but, he still has two of his own and they are of course perfect dogs and mine could never be a good as his.

Has this or something like it happened to anyone else???
Morpheus Mastidane 1 yr

A. J. Keeshound  3 yr

Dogs are really people with short legs in fur coats

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person." - Andrew A. Rooney

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
Re: Who else has Psychotic Family members
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 03:28:23 pm »
Well yes I think there are probally a few of us on here that have or come from psychotic familes.

And along those lines yours doesn't sound any worse than any others.

In my family I was the *animal kid* the *animal person*
Of course I was the one who fed, cleaned,and trained,
so if they *the animals in question* were doing something correct someone else always took credit,and if they got hurt, dirty,or otherwise in trouble it was all my fault.

And in a house with 9 kids and 2 parents I am sure you can imagine some of the resulting stories.

The ANIMALS what they happen to be at the time.or combination of ANIMALS at the time to say the least kept me sane.And now at 53 I know they are my angels always there for me and no judgements.jus t lots of unconditional love and support.

So says the middle child of a huge family.

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 02:22:10 pm »
Well of course they are like that.  No one ever wants to admit their own animals misbehave, but when someone else's does, they are the first to point it out.

It is even worse when, in may case I am extended temporarily living with my parents and 4 of the 5 dogs there are mine.  We are having huge issues right now with dogs marking in the house, one is mine (he is under extreme supervision now) and the other is my sister's angel, who would NEVER do such things if my INTACT male wasn't around.  yeah, right (he is under no supervision btw).  yes, this angel who has put large gashes in Gunther's side and who plays super rough with my rat terrier to the point he yelps in pain.

I am counting the days/months until I can get out of here.  It is causing bad habits galore in all my dogs.

But I digress......l ol.  What was this topic about again?  Oh yeah.  We had one dog growing up which we didn't get til I was in the 7th grade and she lived outside.  My dad prefers dogs outside but has softened up over the years.  My mom has never had a problem with dogs in the house until I moved back in and is now even saying she wants to get rid of the cats.  But until I added 3 more dogs, my first dog in their eyes was perfect in every way:  well behaved, listened well, nice looking, friendly.  Her only downside is she sheds tremendously.  My parents are embarrassed of all the dogs I have and will only tell people how many I have if they ask..........o therwise they say I have a dog.

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 11:13:25 am »
I think that it is amazing how people ask how many you have and then act shocked or amazed, when you tell them, especially coworkers- so now my standard answer when I am asked how many I really have, is always 47.My mother and my in-laws now both have more than one dog and they would not know what to do with out thier babies- thankfully they dont judge us. As far as the rest, usually 47 shuts them up.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 01:22:31 pm »
My parents and father-in-laws' families love Bear and welcome him with open arms but my crazy mother-in-law hates Bear even though she has 2 dogs herself. Her main issue, besides being whacko, is that she wanted a Newf all her life and I got one. Her jealousy kills her. :(
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 01:39:13 pm »
yeah...  i always hear about having so many big paws.  in fact, my mom told me i could only bring a dog to stay at her house if i got a chihuahua, well now she can't say anything! 

we didn't have many permanent dogs growing up, but a lot of "foster strays" i brought home wanting to keep.  actually, in my entire 18 years of living at home, i only had one schnauzer and after he passed we got the two chihuahuas my mom still has now.  we also had 5 cats throughout the years, two of which she still has.  my dad on the other hand (they're divorced) gets a new dog every year, and gives them away at the same rate, same with my sister (the immature side of my family).  i always get chastised about having so many animals, esp. by my in laws though.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 02:49:11 pm »
I hear ya.  Everyone always sounds so shocked when they find out how many I have.  Frankly, I really don't think 4 is all that much, although it's all I can handle right now.  People are amazed that yes, I do fit them all in the car and yes, they are all allowed on the bed (although Gunther usually doesn't fit unless soemone leaves), and yes, I can walk them all at the same time if I so choose (I usually don't, I get more exercise when I walk 2 at a time then switch up)

And yes, it does cost alot to feed/vet them all but its not like I didn't know that already.  And no I don't have a big house/yard.  And yes, they all get along (why do people always ask that?)  Sheesh, you'd think people have never seen someone with more than 2 dogs before.  Almost as if it is an unheard of concept.

dohertyswissy

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 07:06:52 am »
You know what really ticks me off?  If people were to ask me how many kids I had, and I were to answer "four" I would hear something like "Oh how nice!  A big family!"  But suddenly when those four kids are four-legged kids I'm the crazy dog lady.  ::)

Uh... Jenn....you ARE the crazy dog lady.  ;)

My parents are great with Ranger.  Initially they were a little shocked that I got "such a big dog," but once they realized what a love bug and how great and gentle he is, they were smitten.  In fact, my Dad now told my Mom that he wants to get a "real dog like Ranger."  :D

I am concerned if I decide to ever settle down how my s.o. family will react.  It has already been a concern with the BF and his mother.  Don't even GET me started on that one. 

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 07:56:34 am »
You know what really ticks me off?  If people were to ask me how many kids I had, and I were to answer "four" I would hear something like "Oh how nice!  A big family!"  But suddenly when those four kids are four-legged kids I'm the crazy dog lady.  ::)

Ha, now it's just the opposite for me, people act like I have a herd of kids when they find out I have 3, 3!!?? I get the looks from people and family makes their comments as if we shouldn't be having anymore. The animals on the other hand, they could care less about. My inlaws (previous hubby) thought it was great that we got 2 Pyrs, eventhough it was a secret until my daughter spilled the beans,  I thought they'd think I was nuts but they thought it was better than 1! And she just adores them. Chris' parents though, they aren't dog people and never was Chris either, they're cat people so they don't have positive stuff to say about the dogs or even ask about them. Our last dog they never even touched when they came out to visit.

I guess one good thing about not having much family to speak of and what we do have is far away or doesn't come by often. My mom does love the dogs though.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 12:35:35 pm »
I am just so glad that my dog family here understands and goes thru the same things as I do.

When I try to "talk dog" with any of my family or "normal" friends, I can see their eyes start to glaze over.

I wish I lived near some real dog people, not just the wannabes around here.  We'll see what I find when I finally get to Chicago.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 12:55:10 pm »
ha ha ha i have to laugh at you julie.  we got the same comment when we walked around with four dogs.  amazingly, though, when people come to our house, we always get "i can't even tell you have ONE dog!"  everyone non related to us says that, but our family (esp. my mom) swears our house smells like dog or always criticizes our house.  i think it's just in their heads, though, because i make a big habit out of keeping out house clean and smell-free.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]