Author Topic: Poison Control  (Read 3306 times)

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Poison Control
« on: April 06, 2007, 04:53:50 pm »
Of course it is Good Friday today, the day Phelan picked to go into my gym bag and chew on a bottle of Advil until the cap came off and some came out (he had been sleeping on the bed, the little monkey). So we had to call the Emergency vet who redirected us to ASPCA Poison control (didn't know it exsisted). He's fine, we induced vomiting just to be on the safe side as we were told two advil (the amount i thought he got) wouldn't be much harm to a 90lb dog. He threw up and no pills were seen but some liquid advil was present. So because I didn't know it exsisted I am letting everyone know the phone # 1 888 426 4435 so you can add it too your records, be warned it is a $55 US charge and you need to give your credit card up front but any follow up calls are included (They definately should be for $55)

Offline gerty647

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Poison Control
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 07:05:37 pm »
MeandPhelan,
So glad to hear he's doing better,Did they tell you to induce vomiting with peroxide or did they suggest someting else?I was just curious because in my vet claas we were told to use 3% hydrogen peroxide.
I guess theres a need to make pill bottles doggie proof.
Jackie
Annabelle-Otterhound mix
Ruffles-Kitty

Michigan

Offline DogGuideDan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Dog Guide
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 01:12:35 am »
I'm glad Paelan is ok!  Peroxide is a very effective way to induce vomiting.  (recently I had a neighbor call in a panic after her dog ingested a half a bottle of triple sec that the cat had knocked off the counter....I should charge for house calls!!).

Just a FYI Kansas State University offers a FREE Poison Control Hotline - further info can be found here: http://www.mediarelations.k-state.edu/Web/News/NewsReleases/listhotline82406.html
-Dan
Reef- 6yo APBT
Lucian - Dogue De Bordeaux Puppy
www.dogguide.n et

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 01:53:57 am »
I am glad Phelan is ok  :-* -----stop trying to scare your mommy like,Phelan ;)
Farley did a similar thing with baby tylenol ::) We always keep peroxide handy now--especially with dumb and dumber around here :-\

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 03:14:39 am »
The magic mixture for the vomiting was:
1/4 slice of bread
3 tbsp of peroxide (seemed like a lot to me)
1/4 tbsp of ice cream (or milk)

He add the concoction all by himself and then started throwing up about 5-10 minutes later. I had just made him his first batch of Frozen Paws the day before and now he wont eat it...

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 03:29:53 am »
Aww that's so sad. I've never had to induce vomiting in anyone, human or animal (thank God!). Poor little stinker, they're worse than kids sometimes! So glad he's okay.