Author Topic: Things to do in summer months  (Read 10605 times)

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Things to do in summer months
« on: July 11, 2005, 06:29:15 pm »
Are you guys having a hard time this summer keeping you dogs busy? We went hiking last weekend and swimming yesterday. It has been so hard since the humidity here has been horrible. Tonka like swimming in the lake until the waves came then she was done. We can't walk until late at night or early in the morning due to the heat and humidity. Any suggestions?

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
Re: Things to do in summer months
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 07:05:31 pm »
I have the same issue. I don't want to take them in the car if it's too hot, nor do I want to take them for a run in the park if it's too hot..so we end up sitting inside in the AC house...I don't have AC in the car:(  They are bored!!! I'd love to hear the suggestions too.

Vicki

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 07:15:06 pm »
We have a hard time with the heat too. The other day I took Zoey to a dog park I found in the area and I thought she would have so much fun.... But less than 10 minutes after we got their she was already panting, slurping up water, and lounging around in the shade. It's frustrating because I want to take her out fun places, but pretty much all of the options involve the outdoors which is just too hot.
RIP former BPO

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 07:33:10 pm »
Even in the mountains it is too hot and we leave early in the morning before it is suppose to be the hottest part of the day. She has a pool, but as soon as she gets out of water her coat is pretty much dry and panting all over again. I want to see some SNOW!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 08:54:24 pm »
If you want snow go the most northern part of CA. and off road it to the snow..although it still isn't cold there. We have the same issue with Bear and all I can add is water, water and water. We will hike and take long walks as long as there is a source of water that Bear can either swim in or be hosed off by. Summers are yucky everywhere I think.

By the way, where did you get your backpack for Tonka? We need a new one for Bear and are busy searching. Prime camping/hiking season here is in the fall/early winter.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 09:20:48 pm »
We sit in the a/c alot too...today we went for what i thought was a short walk & it was nice & breezy when we left...2 blocks from home on the way back I thought Samson was going to refuse to go on!...Never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-[ :(...Samson has a backpack also...I got it from my friend where she works selling pet supplies...I'll ask her where she ordered it tomorrow & let ya' know...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 06:34:33 am by GYPSY JAZMINE »

ann

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 06:29:34 am »

i get up extra early and run my dogs and i run them at night but in the middle we go outside for short peiods on time amd they get new toys and treats..

ann

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 06:35:26 am »
We go for evening walks and they play outside for 15 minutes intervals all evening.  We are about to be hit with the rains from Hurricane Dennis, so it is going to be mass destruction in my house from them running from one end to the other, jumping on the bed or against the wall, turning around and running the other way.

Maybe we will make a couple trips to petsmart, or imagine this, work on obediance.

Wish me luck, I will definately need it.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 07:53:01 am »
Lady has a backpack too.  She likes it.

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 05:32:59 pm »
Talking about hurricane dennis, you must live near us. We need the rain.

With the backpack we bought it at Jesse Brown Outdoors. It is made by Mountain Smith called Dog Pack II they have a variety of sizes for all dogs.  Also Great Outdoor Provisions has them. If you can't find one I can give you the number here to order it or we could work something out. It is wonderful, and she loves it.

Offline Kristen

• Ankle Biter
  • Tyrone and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 12:41:31 pm »
I feel awful for Kallie. She's perfectly fine in winter, but in summer it gets to the point where she's almost hyperventilati ng if we take a short walk in 60 degrees.
Luckily, the Alaskans do fine in this heat. Sher has taken to sunbathing on top of his house and swimming when we go to Sand Lake (it's about 2 blocks from our place).
Kristen & The Dog Gang
Sled dogs rule!

Sherwen- Alaskan husky
Tyrone- Alaskan husky
Kaltag "Kallie"- Canadian Inuit dog/Malamute
Jacques- Bichon frise

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 12:52:30 pm »
We just stay in the a/c here in vegas...Nobody goes anywhere in the heat of the day.  We do all of your stuff in the evening or at night...good ting Vegas is a 24 hr town

Offline Kristen

• Ankle Biter
  • Tyrone and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 01:29:53 am »
While I was looking around at different online mushing stores, I found a jacket for dogs that reflects heat. I might look into getting her one for next summer (we'll be living in Talkeetna then, and their summers are way hotter than Anchorage's). It'd be worth it if it works. I'll let you guys know if it works.

http://www.shopworks.com/adanac/index.cfm?action=product&prodid=0003D7EE-315A-10AE-AE1D01150A0AD036&userid=000D5D38-53B0-123E-B67600017F00E026
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 01:31:58 am by Kristen »
Kristen & The Dog Gang
Sled dogs rule!

Sherwen- Alaskan husky
Tyrone- Alaskan husky
Kaltag "Kallie"- Canadian Inuit dog/Malamute
Jacques- Bichon frise