Author Topic: Garlic and Dogs  (Read 7536 times)

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
Garlic and Dogs
« on: April 11, 2007, 06:26:11 am »
Hi,

So how much Garlic is enough to repel mosquito's and ticks but not too much to harm the puppers health.

Pretty much every search on the topic says garlis is a great pest deterant, and you can give it too your pup. Tons of others say Garlic is bad and cah hurt the dogs health anyone here have experience with their Dog and Garlic and it effect on the bugs?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 06:26:28 am by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Anakalia

Re: Garlic and Dogs
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 06:41:13 am »
I've heard the good and bad about garlic too, and it's so hard to figure out which "study" to believe.  I did have a few friends who gave their dogs a garlic supplement, they were hoping it would help with mosquitos and fleas, but it didn't work.  I'd like to know what others have to say about this.

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 07:24:45 am »
Thats really interesting, i have never heard of this before, i too eat tons and tons of garlic and bugs still bug me.
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 08:51:39 am »
Hi

One of many links on garlic and dogs.

http://dogs.about.com/cs/disableddogs/p/fleas.htm
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline happiday

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All I ever do is SMILE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 09:30:59 am »
We've fed garlic to our dogs for years.  Fresh chopped is best; I buy it in jars and keep it in the fridge.  It kept our Cheyanne (sib. husky) flea and tick free for most of her 16 years, until the neighbor let their yard go and their dogs got covered in ticks.  Still, Cheyanne only got 3 or 4 ticks and no fleas in her last three years or so.  We just stirred a tsp. or so of the chopped garlic in her food each day.  HORRIBLE doggy breath, but no buggies!!
Salli, Annie's mama!

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 10:03:54 am »
I guess it's better to give the fresh garlic as opposed to supplements because they're able to digest it better? We've not given Rosie fresh garlic in her food before, but since her breath's funky anyway, I suppose it doesn't do too much harm.
Rosie - Newfoundland

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 02:52:20 pm »
I've always given my dogs garlic too. Either the chopped kind in the jar or the granule/powder kind. So far with the pups I just have a shaker of garlic and parsley and shake that over their kibble once a day. The only time their breath smells of garlic is right after they've eaten, and I honestly don't mind the smell, there are worse smells! They don't have fleas, but it can't hurt in my opinion and they seem to love the taste.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 02:58:50 pm by mama23+pyrs2 »

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 03:13:12 pm »
Garlic is the best for our (and dogs)immune system!
2-3 cloves a day is good for 60-100 lb dog.
It does repeal ticks and fleas.
I personally have a very hard time feeding it to my dog. She hates it! No matter how much food I cover it with I end up throwing it away.
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)