Author Topic: Bone help please!  (Read 9285 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Bone help please!
« on: April 11, 2007, 11:28:59 am »
I just got home with some new bones for the pups. They're ones that some of you recommended..t he meaty smoked ones, they are like femur bones and I got them at Petsmart. Well they dove into them like crazy and within 5-10 mins, the ends of the bones are gone..now I'm worried!! They shouldn't eat the actual bone right? Ughhhhhhh I didn't think they would do this to them this fast.

Do I take them away?

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Bone help please!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 11:31:46 am »
if your pups are still having an easily upset tummy, i would limit how much they "eat" at once, since they're smoked.  axle has eaten bones that big with no problems before, except for an extremely upset tummy from the "toppings" and his tummy is usually really steady.  toppings can cause diahhrea in some dogs though.  as for actually eating the bones, ours do it all the time.  i take them away if they get small just b/c i'm paranoid they'll choke, but they usually eat them with no problems.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 11:32:30 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 11:34:36 am »
Okay, thanks I was freaking out again  :-\ Their tummies were perfect until I went back to the mix of the Solid Gold and Canidae because I had about 20lbs of that left and was broke..so now I know for sure it's the Solid Gold they can't tolerate..anyw ay they had only been having their pork bones, no treats or anything else. I just got 40lbs of their Candidae so they'll be back in tip top shape soon. I didn't even think about those kind of bones bothering them. ::) :-\

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 11:36:24 am »
they used to have a rawhide "soft ball" at petsmart.  it was bigger than my fist, and had some sort of hard filling in it.  axle LOVED it and it didn't upset his tummy or make a mess.  don't know if they sell it still, but he loved it and it didn't have a topping on it.

i found them on the website ha ha here's the link

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441781486&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302026203&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1176334616020&itemNo=45&Nao=24&In=Dog&N=2026203&Ne=2
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 11:37:33 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 11:40:53 am »
also, have you tried the nylabone?  some of them even come flavored and let them have a "bone," but they can't chew pieces off (as long as they're a big enough size).

http://www.nylabone.com/products/non-edible/big-chews/
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 11:42:01 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 11:47:03 am »
also, have you tried the nylabone?  some of them even come flavored and let them have a "bone," but they can't chew pieces off (as long as they're a big enough size).

http://www.nylabone.com/products/non-edible/big-chews/

Thanks, I'll have to find those balls. Yeah, they each have a nylabone, the huge size and they HATE them, they have never even attempted to chew it. My American Eskimo actually ate half of hers, no good..I thought they might love them too but nope. Now I stay away from Nylabones because it seems a waste of money.

Offline morph's mom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Morpheus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 11:56:45 am »
we tried all kinds of bones.  Morph will eat anything but AJ is our picky one.  The only thing that AJ will chew on is the Bully sticks.  They both go nuts over those so that is pretty much what we stick too.  They both hated the nylabones. When I gave it to Morph he took it, sat it down, and looked at me like you want me to do what??? that is disgusting.  So pretty much we stick to bully sticks and Merrick dog treats... Aj will kinda eat those sometimes.  Good luck and I hope that you find something that works for you.  It is pretty much just trial and error till ya find what makes all of you happy.
Morpheus Mastidane 1 yr

A. J. Keeshound  3 yr

Dogs are really people with short legs in fur coats

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person." - Andrew A. Rooney

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 11:57:40 am »
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441806068&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302026203&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1176335763084&itemNo=2&In=Dog&N=2026203&Ne=2

these are good, ours spend tons of time just trying to get the stuff out the middle ha ha.  also heard good things about the kongs, if they like to get the filling out.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 04:54:52 pm »
I get the Nature's Recipe bones-you can get at pet stores and if you're buying canidae at a store they will probably have Nature's Recipe. They're kept in the fridge/freezer of the pet store, they are raw, not smoke and take quite a bit of jaw power to knaw off any bone. I would advise throwing them in the freezer before you feed just to make sure potential germs are killed and it takes them longer to pull off any attached meat and makes them use teeth to get the marrow instead of licking it out. Phelan only knawed on one bone (that was thinner than the rest) enough to eat the bone, i was told that this is A-OK.

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 09:19:28 am »
I just wanted to mention that if you are using cooked bones (like the smoked ones at petsmart, knuckle bones or sterile bones) the hard big ones are OK toys, but if they start chewing and swallowing them they aren't a good idea as they can STILL splinter, or they can choke on them

RAW big huge bones, like cow femurs are EXCELLENT toys!!!!! but I would avoid any cooked bone that they are actually eating :( Sorry

Oh yes and the raw knuckles in the freezer are great bones!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 09:47:05 am »
I just wanted to mention that if you are using cooked bones (like the smoked ones at petsmart, knuckle bones or sterile bones) the hard big ones are OK toys, but if they start chewing and swallowing them they aren't a good idea as they can STILL splinter, or they can choke on them

RAW big huge bones, like cow femurs are EXCELLENT toys!!!!! but I would avoid any cooked bone that they are actually eating :( Sorry

Oh yes and the raw knuckles in the freezer are great bones!

Thanks. Yea that was my concern because I knew the smoked bones could still splinter and they ate them so fast. I had to throw them out the next day anyway because somebody peed on them. The knuckle bones have been much better and are still going strong. At some point they will have the raw ones but I don't want those inside. I wouldn't think they would last long either because there's only so much chewing they can do on a big bone and you can't leave it out forever. Do you refreeze? Throw it out?I don't deal with meat at all so I don't know the ins and outs of that aspect. When I used to give my Eskie raw bones, they were much too large for her, but that's the size the butcher cut and once she was done, we threw it out, plus it was nasty from being outside.

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 12:54:54 am »
A little old meat wont hurt the dogs of course (Think of the burried raw bones etc in the wild their systems can handle old meat just not heavily spoiled large ammounts or meat, but the bones can last forever with scraps of meat still on them) *BUT* they do stink to high heaven  ::) Recreation bones I typically let them chew outside ;)

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 08:30:59 am »
luckily, with our dogs, all the meat is off of it in the first sitting.  they strip is bare within 10 minutes  :-\
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 08:32:36 am »
luckily, with our dogs, all the meat is off of it in the first sitting.  they strip is bare within 10 minutes  :-\

haha, that works! makes it less messy anyway.