Author Topic: Ester-C?  (Read 3476 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Ester-C?
« on: April 09, 2007, 07:46:27 am »
I had mentioned before that at Yiska's first vet visit the vet felt a crackling in her left hip. After I told the breeder about it, she told me to get her started on Ester-C 'just in case' anything was brewing, and that she is so young that we could fix it. She told me to start her on 250mgs and raise the dose about every week or so, depending on her weight and watching for loose stools..and backing back down if that was the case. I eventually had her at 500mgs but it was at the time when I was still battling their digestive issues, so I backed it down to 250mgs because I couldn't tell what was causing the looseness.

Anyway, I eventually stopped giving it to her altogether because I cut so much out of their diets, trying to get a handle on their issues. Everytime I look at the bottle, I wonder if I should start her on it again. Apparently it would be for the long term..somethin g she would always have to take.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? She was only 8 wks old when the vet checked her out and she even told me it might be nothing. The other pups from the litter have gotten clean bills of health, including Yukon.

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
Re: Ester-C?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 10:51:51 am »

I have seen Ester-C be very useful in times of stress or illness, especially colds etc. and I have heard of some attesting to its ability to strengthen cartiledge around a dysplastic joint, thereby making it stronger - if used when very young.  This is all fine but long term use is not advised.

Vitamin C long term alters the ph balance in the system and can start causing calcium to be flushed in urine. Ultimately, it has been reported that it can cause calcium oxalate stones and urinary crystals.  I believe it is critical not to administer something that will artificially mess with the ph balance in the long term.

It should be noted that it cannot "cure" a loose joint, dysplasia or arthritic change/sclerosis.  It can strengthen the tissue surrounding it which could potentially provide more comfort depending on the severity and situation.

The best thing to do right now is to get x-rays done on hips and elbows.  Although the OFA will not certify until age two, they advise "pre-lims" be done on giant breed dogs and therefore it is a good idea to submit films to them for a "pre-lim" diagnosis (reviewed by three radiologists - NOT vets).  If their is dysplasia or arthritic change, finding out where and the severity is meaningful for treatment - the younger the better so I wouldn't delay.

Good luck!
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 12:03:23 pm »
Would you suggest I get the xrays at such a young age? They will be 16 wks this week. I don't know what the norm is as far as that goes. Her hips were examined only once and that was pretty much it as far as the dicussion went. She suggested to do an xray at the time I spay her, but I'm probably going to have her spayed through a low cost spay/neuter clinic. I am going to take her to a new vet soon, because I don't feel confident with the last one.

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 05:25:44 am »

Since you had indicated that their was crackling or crunching in the hip AND given that she is a giant breed, I would x-ray now.  You can get "pre-lims" done by the OFA which is what I would do at a MINIMUM.  Ideally however, you would want to find a PennHip certified vet in your area to do the PennHip evaluation - which is the only scientific method to diagnosing hip laxity and the prognosis of future degenerative joint change.  They advocate doing this early and at the first sign - especially if her hip looks bad and warrants surgery - many surgery options are only available to you now when she is really young.

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 03:15:04 pm »
Bear is on Ester C daily and it works great IMO. Our breeder recommended it and it keeps his jonts lubed.  ;D Also, when he was a pup he has some issues with his legs but we were told by our breeder and several friends not to x-ray him because they would show up as sever HD/ED or something because his bones aren't set yet. We took their advice and although he did have x-rays a few times (which freaked us out) and like we were told, they said he needed surgery ASAP b/c of the bad bones. He is 4 and has grown up healthy and strong. Although he does have very mild ED and it rarely flares up (1x every 2-3 months) he I am a firm believer in the Ester C and Cosequin as bone strengtheners and pain preventers.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 03:29:44 pm »
Ok, thank you both. I guess it did confuse me about getting xrays so young when things have so much changing to do, it's not like anything now is going to be in the same place when they're 2. I intend to discuss this with the new vet and see what he/she thinks upon examining her hips. The noise wasn't an audible one and she did a heck of a lot of rotating before she said anything about it and said she couldn't tell anything until several checks over a period of time and ultimately xrays. First step is finding a new, good vet whom I can trust.

Thanks again :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 03:32:32 pm by mama23+pyrs2 »