Author Topic: Tenchi Update & Acupuncture ???s  (Read 5680 times)

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Tenchi Update & Acupuncture ???s
« on: April 16, 2007, 08:08:33 am »
How to balance everything and what is right..

This weekend has been hard and confusing.  Tenchi's kidneys starting acting up again and now his hip is bothering him as well as his knee.  I was on the phone with the vets this AM for almost a 1/2 hr and I'm still as lost as I was beforehand. I called in to make an appointment this AM for more bloodwork and some xrays and then one of his vets called me back to go over things. He said that since Tenchi was improving on the super antibiotics, then regressing when he was done that he is just going to put him back on the antibiotics for another couple weeks instead of having Tenchi go in for more blood work(which hasn't really told us much anyways).

I asked if he agreed with me about going in for xrays on the leg, but he said that it wouldn't matter if he also has Hip Dysplasia because there is nothing stronger that they can give Tenchi for pain without harming his kidneys further.  So the his treatment would be no different either way. He also said that there is no way that Tenchi would be a candidate for surgery at this time, if ever due to his kidney problems and previous GI issues(which he is now on pepcid for the rest of his life for).

This is all coming from a vet who absolutely loves and adores Tenchi because he reminds him of one of his old danes that he had a couple years back. It was heartbreaking hearing all of this from this Dr, especially when he said that we need to start weighing quality vs quantity.

I do have another lead that we're looking into though. I posted on my dane list and they recommended looking into Acupuncture. Which is something that didn't even cross my mind to be honest. So I called another vet in my county, the only one whom I could find that does it, and she is sending me all their information on acupuncture.

So does anyone here have info on acupuncture since I don't really know much about it. Stories?  Personal results?  Things like how often is it done?  How long until you see results?  Anything that you can think of, I'd like to know it.

Thanks,
Moni
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

mama23+pyrs2

Re: Tenchi Update & Acupuncture ???s
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 08:27:39 am »
I just wanted to say I'm sorry you're going through this with him, the poor guy. :-\ I don't have any experience with animals and acupuncture but if I were in your situation, I would definitely give it a try. I've personally used it and had good results. The most noticeable for headaches and relaxation.  A lot of people have great results with it. One of my good friends back in Orlando is finally certified I believe now, too bad he's not closer to me.

Anyway, I'm all for alternative medicine and go that route before traditional whenever I can for myself, my children and my pets. Homeopathy is also wonderful. I've seen truly amazing turn arounds happen in my animals that were extremely ill.

Good luck to you and Tenchi, I hope you have good results if you decide to go that way.

k2campbell

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 09:50:26 am »
Moni first I want to say I’m so sorry to hear about Tenchi’s problems reoccuring, not fun. He was doing so well too! I truly hope he is feeling better soon, and that you find the best possible solution, for both you and him… ;)

As for the acupuncture. I don’t have personal experience but my friend’s Rotti had Cushings disease, she swore by the acupuncture. They tried all sorts of medications and stuff before resorting to it, and her vet wasn’t at all recommending acupuncture (she investigated and went against his suggestions for medication). Well let me say that her Rotti lived 2 years longer than her original vet had diagnosed, and she lived them happily! My friend recommendeds it to anyone with a dog that’s having any kind of problem that acupuncture could benefit, so I would definitely look into it further…

Also, she mentioned that she first took her girl for acupuncture at a vet practice that used it here in Calgary. She wasn’t completely satisfied so she researched further and found a strictly holistic clinic (acupuncture + other treatments) and they were actually “pros” and concaucted a remedy herbal syrup for her girl too, which helped with the heavy panting associated with Cushings. Your vet sounds great, and sounds like he/she REALLY loves Tenchi and has the best intentions for him, but if there are any strictly holistic clinics in your area – might be worth looking into…

I hope this info helps somewhat – I wish you and Tenchi the best, I hope he is feeling better soon!!! Kate sends lots of slobbery kisses  :-* :-* :-*

Kelly & Kate

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 02:17:00 am »
Thanks guys, I'm thinking very positive about this Acupuncture thing.  It sounds very promising!  I know that it won't make him a "healthy" dog, but if it makes him more comfortable then I'll be happy.  :)

I'm also looking into something called "DogGonePain".  Has anyone heard of that or tried it?  I'm waiting to hear back from their customer service people since some of the ingredients act like a NSAID.. so I'm not sure if its safe for him to take yet.  Its made off all different ingredients then his HydraJoint, so hopefully they can be used together.

Thanks again for all the well wishes, I was so scared yesterday morning that Tenchimoose wasn't going to be with us much longer and thanks to reading up on acupuncture I have some hope now!

Nicole

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 02:24:30 am »
Hey Moni!

I'm really sorry to hear about Tenchi. :( But, my friend Tina takes her dog to an acupuncturist regularly for his hips, and it has made a TREMENDOUS difference! He's a whole new dog. So, as far as I can tell, its a successful procedure.

I've also heard great things about the gold beads. One of the doctors that pioneered the gold bead thing is here in Indiana. I'll see if I can find more info.

Kisses to Tenchi!!!

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 02:38:02 am »
I know nothing about ancupunture... . but, i just want to say i am so sorry for what your going thru with Tenchi. just when things were looking up again...
Please give him lots of hugs and kisses for me, because, u know- he IS my favorite dane ha ha ha ha

Jodi
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Anakalia

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 05:05:51 am »
Moni, I'm so sorry to hear Tenchi hasn't been feeling well.  I don't have any first hand experience with Acupuncture, but I definitely think it's something you should try, I've heard great things about it!  You're a great mommy for looking into all these alternative methods!

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 05:22:57 am »
Oh, Moni, I am so sorry that to hear about poor Tenchi.  I don't have any input, but you and Tenchi are definitely in my thoughts.  We are keeping all fingers and paws crossed that you get some good results from the acupuncture.
I am kind of a big deal!

Icerotti

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 12:50:01 pm »
I am sorry to hear of Tenchis difficulties. I have heard wonderful things about accupunture for dogs from our dog chiropractor.  I have not used it b/c no one local does it yet. I would love to have it on Puck.  I do have rave reviews about the chiro though. I wonder if it could help with the hips too.

I have tried doggonepain with Puck when he was having bad problem with his back and rear end control--he kept falling down with his back end. Chiro figured he has a pinched nerve type of thing going on. I found he really did improve on it. 

Good Luck Moni and please keep us posted :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 12:50:57 pm by Icerotti »

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 01:19:49 pm »
I have to say acupuncture is amazing in what it did for merlin. He was so sick and no antibiotics were working and i had acupuncture done on him and he got better fast!! I also use it on his knees and sweetpea's and you would never know they have luxating patellas. I have also heard of it extending the life of older dogs too.

Good luck! Give Tenchi a kiss from me! :-*
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 07:42:28 pm »
Thanks for all the info and well wishes for the Tenchimoose.  A little good news, either because the antibiotics are kicking in or the rain stopped, but Tenchi seemed in a  better mood today.  He was more chipper, eager to eat and was wagging his tail some, a nice improvement!  He was actually pulling on his leash when I took him out for his potty break, so we stayed outside a little longer after he was done.  Not sure if it was a good idea, but he was so happy that I couldn't say no. 

Tomorrow I call to set up his first acupuncture appointment.  I'm a little nervous but also a bit hopeful.  I'll let you all know when they can fit him in and how it goes!

Another sign that Tenchi was in better spirits is that he allowed Mojo to share his "super bed" with him.  Its his fleecie bed on top of his giant fluffy bed(he does not like the material on the fluffy bed).  The last couple of days he hasn't wanted any of the other dogs near him when he was laying down.  I'm guessing it was because he was so sore and felt like garbage.  :(  So I had fun taking some pictures of the two all cuddled up to share with you.  :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 12:59:09 pm by Moni »

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 08:00:52 pm »
I love good news.  I'm super glad Tenchi is feeling better and the pictures are precious. 
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

k2campbell

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 08:18:06 pm »
Glad to hear that Tenchi is feeling a little bit better  ;) Wishing you (and Tenchi) the best of luck with the acupuncture, please let us know how it goes  ;)

Those pictures are just way too sweet, oh my gosh how adorable! ;D

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 06:56:10 am »
Moni - so glad Tenchie is feeling a bit better. I really hope the acupunture helps!

The pics of Tenchie and Mojo cuddled together are absolutely pricesless!

Anakalia

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 08:20:10 am »
I'm so happy Tenchi's feeling a bit better.  I absolutely love those pics, they're both so precious.  Let us know how the acupuncture goes.  I'm very hopeful it will help him.