Author Topic: newbie with pyrs  (Read 6496 times)

Offline yukonlance

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
newbie with pyrs
« on: April 13, 2007, 10:47:52 am »
hi, my name is lance. i am new to the chatting. i have
2 great pyrs. due to the recent scare of dog foods i
am worried what to feed my boys. currently they are on
timberwolf organics ( dakota bison formula). i've
heard about all of these different kinds of diets
including raw, barf, naturals, etc. could anyone steer
me in the right direction? VERY CONFUSED!!  any info
that you have would be helpful THANKS ???

bigdogs@5501

Re: newbie with pyrs
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 10:59:24 am »
You came to the right place- There are a lot of good quality foods that you can feed. Innova seems to be a big hit with a lot of the group. I actually cook a lot of my own dog food. Boiling chicken, rice etc. Then I supplement with dry food- We have a lot of our members traveling right now for a meet n greet- so keep checking the post for replies- Also - major requirement for BPO... Pictures!!! My youngestPyr right now is 4 mos and I have the old lady at 8 years

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 11:18:22 am »
Welcome Lance! I have 2 Pyrs too, Yukon and Yiska and they are 16 wks old. Happy to meet another Pyr owner! I know Timberwolf is excellent food, if they are doing good on it, I don't know that I'd switch. My pups are on Canidae and doing great. Originally I had them on Solid Gold Wolfcub Bison and their bellies could not tolerate it. I hear great things about Innova and considered switching but for now I'm sticking to Canidae because they do just fine on it.

Look forward to seeing you around and PICTURES PLEASE!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 03:14:46 pm by mama23+pyrs2 »

Offline yukonlance

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 01:35:31 pm »
hi, kristina what are your thoughts on raw :-\  i am concerned about the choking hazards. do you have any concerns about flea and heartworm medication :-\  any info that you have would be helpful. thanks oh, by the way  i dont know how to post pictures gonna find out  ???

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 01:43:01 pm »
hi, kristina what are your thoughts on raw :-\  i am concerned about the choking hazards. do you have any concerns about flea and heartworm medication :-\  any info that you have would be helpful. thanks oh, by the way  i dont know how to post pictures gonna find out  ???

I feed raw bones, meat, and organs to my Pyr all the time and never had an issue with it.
Research the board on flea & ticks remedies. We had a couple of good discussions lately.
It's pretty easy to post pictures, just make sure they are the right size.
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 01:49:34 pm »
We had some raw discussions going on recently, I don't know much about it but I'm sure someone else can answer those questions. I like to do some raw but I've been told to space that out several hours from say, kibble. With my last doggy if I were to do raw meat, she would have that as her meal so I didn't mix it or anything, but I like to add stuff to their meals like a raw egg or cottage cheese, fruit etc.. I haven't done much with these pups yet because their tummies were VERY messed up for a long while after I brought them home and it took a lot of time to get them on track. I personally wouldn't really have the choking concern, but maybe that's just me being naive, everything I've read about raw is great! I just don't personally have the time to learn what all to do to balance nutrients at this point, especially with growing pups, and I don't want to risk it.

As far as heartworm and flea meds personally, yes I have concerns but I also have concerns on vaccinating. I did alot of looking into natural heartworm preventatives before and couldn't find anything that was a realistic option for me to use and living in FL, the mosquitos here are horrible and that makes me really nervous- so they are on heartworm preventative. As far as flea treatments, I don't use them. Fortunately they don't have fleas and neither did my last dog. A healthy dog won't be a good host for fleas so I take that as a good sign. If they were to ever have a flea issue, there are plenty other things I would use before I would use the other stuff, but that's just me.

I would LOVE to see pics of your guys!! I'm new to the breed and learning more all the time, I am so in love with them. :-*

How are they doing on the Timberwolf by the way? I had my Eskie on that food to start, a different formula..but she wouldn't eat it so the company sent me another bag of a different formula that she would like better and she did. I just had a hard time finding it out here.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 01:50:26 pm by mama23+pyrs2 »

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 01:58:22 pm »
We had some raw discussions going on recently, I don't know much about it but I'm sure someone else can answer those questions. I like to do some raw but I've been told to space that out several hours from say, kibble. With my last doggy if I were to do raw meat, she would have that as her meal so I didn't mix it or anything, but I like to add stuff to their meals like a raw egg or cottage cheese, fruit etc.. I haven't done much with these pups yet because their tummies were VERY messed up for a long while after I brought them home and it took a lot of time to get them on track. I personally wouldn't really have the choking concern, but maybe that's just me being naive, everything I've read about raw is great! I just don't personally have the time to learn what all to do to balance nutrients at this point, especially with growing pups, and I don't want to risk it.

As far as heartworm and flea meds personally, yes I have concerns but I also have concerns on vaccinating. I did alot of looking into natural heartworm preventatives before and couldn't find anything that was a realistic option for me to use and living in FL, the mosquitos here are horrible and that makes me really nervous- so they are on heartworm preventative. As far as flea treatments, I don't use them. Fortunately they don't have fleas and neither did my last dog. A healthy dog won't be a good host for fleas so I take that as a good sign. If they were to ever have a flea issue, there are plenty other things I would use before I would use the other stuff, but that's just me.

I would LOVE to see pics of your guys!! I'm new to the breed and learning more all the time, I am so in love with them. :-*

How are they doing on the Timberwolf by the way? I had my Eskie on that food to start, a different formula..but she wouldn't eat it so the company sent me another bag of a different formula that she would like better and she did. I just had a hard time finding it out here.
Kristina, have you looked into a Certified Black Walnut mixture as a heartworm preventative? It works wonders! 
Mary W. Crane

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 02:01:20 pm »
Well that was one of the herbs I came across for that but it had to be mixed with at least 2 other things I believe and given daily. Is that what you use for that? If so, do you have the info on the details of using it for that?

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 02:18:07 pm »
Well that was one of the herbs I came across for that but it had to be mixed with at least 2 other things I believe and given daily. Is that what you use for that? If so, do you have the info on the details of using it for that?
I don't give it daily...only when at risk. Here are some great articles about heartworm and preventing it. And no, I don't mix it with anything else.

http://www.naturalrearing.com/newsandviews/articles/heartworm.htm
http://www.danebytes.com/heartworm.htm
http://www.tibetanmastiff.net/Heartworm.html
Mary W. Crane

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 02:21:24 pm »
Okay, thanks I will check those out!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 02:36:50 pm »
Hi Lance, welcome.  I'm mom to 1 GoldenX (Daisy) and 2 Pyrs (Cassie & Sammy). Including Cass & Sam we've had 4 Pyrs over the last 17 yrs. Our first Pyr lived to 12 and our second we lost at 3 to bone cancer, we recently adopted Cassie & Sammy.  I feed kibble, currently Natural Balance Duck & Potato and Natural Balance Adult (both are free of wheat and wheat gluten).  I love Innova but the nearest source is 75 miles away, so we're on NB Adult again until we can get to that store and stock up again.  Since we lost a young dog to cancer, I'm really nervous about potential toxins and by-products.  We are fortunate, heartworm is virtually unknown here (per the vet) and we haven't had a flea problem...yet (knock wood), so we don't use any prevention.  For our older dogs, I do a titer before giving the DHLPP vaccine to see if their immunity is low and then only vaccinate if necessary.  The rabies vaccine I give whenever required by law.  I'm glad you found us and I'm looking forward to pics of your two!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 02:42:51 pm »
Hi Lance, welcome.  I'm mom to 1 GoldenX (Daisy) and 2 Pyrs (Cassie & Sammy). Including Cass & Sam we've had 4 Pyrs over the last 17 yrs. Our first Pyr lived to 12 and our second we lost at 3 to bone cancer, we recently adopted Cassie & Sammy.  I feed kibble, currently Natural Balance Duck & Potato and Natural Balance Adult (both are free of wheat and wheat gluten).  I love Innova but the nearest source is 75 miles away, so we're on NB Adult again until we can get to that store and stock up again.  Since we lost a young dog to cancer, I'm really nervous about potential toxins and by-products.  We are fortunate, heartworm is virtually unknown here (per the vet) and we haven't had a flea problem...yet (knock wood), so we don't use any prevention.  For our older dogs, I do a titer before giving the DHLPP vaccine to see if their immunity is low and then only vaccinate if necessary.  The rabies vaccine I give whenever required by law.  I'm glad you found us and I'm looking forward to pics of your two!

Gosh, where do you live? It must be cold alot there then. Where I live we need heartworm preventative all year long. :(