Author Topic: MORE PET FOOD RECALLS: Natural Balance <-- Its not just Wheat Gluten anymore!  (Read 40763 times)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
It's not just wheat gluten anymore....

Fears grow on pet food

New findings expand the threat beyond wheat gluten.

By Carrie Peyton Dahlberg - Bee Staff Writer
Published 12:00 am PDT Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The monthlong pet food recall expanded Tuesday with a troubling twist, for the first time involving foods that do not contain wheat gluten but still tested positive for a potentially lethal chemical.

The finding makes it much tougher to tell people what to safely feed their pets and fuels suspicions that the chemical melamine is being deliberately added to some pet food ingredients to bolster apparent protein.

Natural Balance, a Pacoima-based company, is "99.9 percent sure" that a rice protein made in Asia is responsible for the melamine detected Tuesday in some of its venison-based pet foods, company President Joey Herrick said.

"It was pretty shocking," he said in a phone interview after the company recalled several of its venison foods. "I was livid."

Herrick declined to name the supplier of the rice protein or the country it came from, saying only that a large American company acquired the ingredient for Diamond Pet Foods, which makes some Natural Balance products.

Because both wheat gluten and rice protein enhance the protein content of pet food, "it certainly is suspicious" that melamine now is associated with both, said Bob Poppenga, a UC Davis veterinary toxicology professor.

Melamine isn't an edible protein, but it has plenty of nitrogen, which can be used as a marker for protein in chemical analyses.

So, if someone wanted to use less of the relatively pricey sources of vegetable protein, such as wheat gluten, and throw in cheaper starches instead, adding melamine to that mix would still make it look like a protein-rich product, numerous veterinary nutritionists and toxicologists have said. With such speculation swirling, the rice protein-melamine link further alarmed pet owners as it began appearing on Web sites Tuesday, said Gina Spadafori, a Sacramento-based author who runs a pet Web site.

"I see people who are being almost panicky," she said. "Last week, it was easy for veterinary associations to say if you want to feel better, just avoid wheat gluten," Spadafori said. "Now for this expansion to be an entirely different protein source ... I don't think right now anybody can say, 'Go feed this, it's safe.' "

Natural Balance President Herrick was so shaken by the melamine finding that he imposed a new policy Tuesday to hold all company foods in a warehouse until an offsite lab tests each batch for melamine. He won't ship anything until it has tested clean, he said.

Local veterinarians who've tracked kidney ailments nationwide have tentatively identified five more foods, not at this point under any recall, that they plan to have tested as soon as possible.

The Veterinary Information Network, used by about 16,000 of the estimated 35,000 U.S. veterinarians, noticed the five foods kept recurring in vet-described disease reports, said Paul Pion, the Davis vet who co-founded the service. Pion said it would be premature to name the foods.

He hopes to get suspect food samples to the California Animal Health and Food Safety Laboratory at UC Davis to start testing as early as today. As the recall expands, "my sense is it's time for every manufacturer to go testing for melamine," Pion said.

The notion that melamine could be a deliberate additive -- not an industrial mistake -- arose as early as April 5, when Stephen Sundlof, head of the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine, said that the pet food recall could turn into a criminal investigation if investigators find that melamine was added deliberately.

Later, the New York Times reported that the Chinese company that supplied tainted wheat gluten to Menu Foods sought to buy large amounts of melamine through Internet trading sites.

More than 4,000 pet deaths have been reported on Spadafori's petconnetion.c om site. Others have estimated recall-related deaths at hundreds to thousands of pets nationwide.

All the 100 or so products recalled previously had involved wheat gluten, the vast majority of them dog food, cat food and treats manufactured for many labels by the Canada-based company Menu Foods.

Amid complaints that the multiple recalls were hard to follow, the FDA tried to assemble all the recalled foods on a single list, now over 5,000 items long, on its Web site at http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/petfoodrecall/

As of Tuesday evening, the Natural Balance recalls hadn't appeared there. Natural Balance recalled two products Monday and added more Tuesday after learning of the melamine test results. It has pulled back Venison and Brown Rice canned and bagged dog foods, Venison and Brown Rice dog treats and Venison and Green Pea dry cat food.

For pet owners, vets said, the important thing to be aware of is any behavior change that seems linked to either a new food, or even a new bag of the same food. Symptoms could include loss of appetite, vomiting, lethargy and excess drinking or urinating.

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/156967.html

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
i wonder if that includes the rolls... i just bought one for fumble this weekend... nix that! 
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Man all this recall stuff is really scary!

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Anakalia

UGH!  This is really starting to freak me out!  If it's not just wheat gluten, then what other ingredients could be affected by this?  I need to start looking into making all of Koby's food.

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
We have been freaked out enough to start thinking about making Gwen and Ranger's food too, which is pretty freaked out when you stop to consider that we don't even cook for ourselves!  We had one of the Natural Balance rolls too, that we decided a few days ago wasn't worth taking the chance on.  I guess I need to go scan the new, long, FDA list and get completely caught up...
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
This is why I am so glad that I feed B.A.R.F

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

mama23+pyrs2

Hmm, yes this is very frustrating. I'm still confident in what I feed my dogs. I know Natural Balance is pretty good but I did not know that Diamond Pet Foods made their products. If I had known that, I wouldn't have trusted them anyway. This situation is so so sad and sounds like it's a much bigger problem than people thought.

Lyn

I'm so beyond freaked out that I'm switching everyone back to Canidae, I'll put up with the itching. I realllly can't afford to feed raw or homecook at the moment.

It appears to be 'Rice Protein Concentrate' in the Natural Balance that's tainted. I'd like to know when the heck they added this ingredient since it's NOT listed on their bags! :o  >:(

I was told by the pet store to avoid anything containing Rice Protein, Rice Protein Concentrate or Rice Gluten. As well as Wheat Gluten from the previous recall. Whether it be canned or dry.

Innova, Canidae, California Natural and Orijen (new canadian high protein food) are being listed as safe since they don't contain any of the above. But everything else.. I don't know.  :'(

This is just so sad.  :'(

Anakalia

I'm a bit confused here, maybe someone can help out.  I read the part about Diamond buying the Rice Protien but on their website they say they don't use any Rice Protien or Wheat Gluten in their products.  Sooooo they make dog food for other companies?  If anyone knows about this let me know because we live in a teeny tiny town and not very many brands are available here.  A lot of my friends are feeding the Diamond foods to their dogs and this has gotten me worried.

Lyn

Diamond makes kibble for Natural Balance and Solid Gold. But Natural Balance canned foods are made at American Nutrition. I believe NB purchased the rice protein themselves and then Diamond used it in their food. So it's not really Diamonds fault this time, unless they were suppose to test it before using it. :-\

oops edit.. Yup Kirkland and Chicken Soup foods are Diamonds own brands.

This link has which food contain Rice Protein, Rice Protein Concentrate or Rice Gluten.

http://64.79.216.38/~itchmo/forums/index.php?topic=64.0
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 08:25:51 am by Lyn »

Offline DogGuideDan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Dog Guide
This is coming from someone attached to the Pet Health industry: "Apparently there was a vote done and they added rice protein to the food ONE day only. No one is really sure why. Apparently its the bags that are marked Sept 28. They recalled ALL of the food as a precaution."  That is what he heard from the company.

My 2 cents:
Natural Balance claims they wanted to try adding another protein source, which doesn't make much sense when you're dealing with an allergen formula.  The key aspect of these foods is a single protein.

We're wondering when this recall is going to effect the human population.  Ugh!
-Dan
Reef- 6yo APBT
Lucian - Dogue De Bordeaux Puppy
www.dogguide.n et

Anakalia

Andi, I think that's right.  I think that Diamond manufactures other brands of dog foods ... I think Kirkland is one of them?

Ok ... here's something I'm confused about too:

Is it JUST the gluten, protein, and concentrated forms of rice?  Why would it not be all rice in general?  And if they ARE purposefully using the melamine with rice and wheat glutens and such, how do we know they're not using it with oh, potatoes or barley?

I think the more I read about the recalls, the more confused I get.  I'm going to stop thinking out loud.  For my own sanity.  :-\   

I was just actually thinking the same thing!  I keep reading different articles getting more confused by the minute!  If it was "just" wheat gluten, now rice protien who's to say it won't be something like potatoes or barley next week?  I just read that Diamond only buys their ingredients from the US and Canada, so I guess as long as Innova and all the other Premium Brands buy from US and Canada the food will be ok.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
are they saying how long effects take to show up?  is it a months / years thing or is it days  ???
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Anakalia

I would think the effects would be quick, maybe not in days but I think within a month you would see the symptoms, someone correct me if I'm wrong.  I'm just guessing.

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
I would think the effects would be quick, maybe not in days but I think within a month you would see the symptoms, someone correct me if I'm wrong.  I'm just guessing.

Response is fast, within 2-3 days of eating tainted food, particularly the excessive urinating and drinking and lethargy

BTW I just wanted to let everyone know that BARF is actually very inexpensive. It costs me $55 a month to feed 4 chinese cresteds, 1 golden retriever, 2 afghans, 3 siberian huskies and a bernie mix.

Chicken backs/necks from a poultry vender (I use perdue farms) are .10 a LBS, and I buy a crate (50LBS) a week, plus recreation bones and veggie glop ingredients and suppliments. I've never looked back! It cost me tons more to feed kibble, and I dont have the bad health affects anymore, plus no dental bills either.

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets