Author Topic: Orijen Food  (Read 7045 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Orijen Food
« on: April 23, 2007, 11:28:02 am »
I've heard talk about Orijen on here a lot so I started checking into it. I was considering switching to it next month possibly, since I found a feed store right near that carries it. Was just wanting to hear some feedback from those that have their dogs on it? Ease of transition, stools..genera l info? Do they eat less than what they were fed before because of the protein content?

They sell the large bag there which is just under 30 lbs for $52- rather high, so I was wondering if they ate less. Mine are going through about 40lbs a month between the 2 of them and are pooping chihuahuas out there, no joke. They're on Canidae now.

TIA for the info!

Lyn

Re: Orijen Food
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 12:07:21 pm »
I find that you do feed less. I bought the Orijen large breed puppy since they were sold out of the adult. I just started feeding it myself though.

But Bubba (130-140 pounds) is getting 4.5 cups and Lola (125 pounds) is getting 4 cups. I'm probably going to have to adjust the amounts later on depending on their weight. Lola gains easily and Bubba could use to put on a few pounds. I usually start on the 'low end' of the feeding recommendation s for their weight on the bag and adjust from there.

So far the transition with Lola has been a breeze, a little gassy but no loose poop or anything like that. She's 'goes' about 3 times a day. Bubba is alot more sensitive, so his poop varies from normal to runny. But that's normal for him when he's adjusting to a new food. Plus it didn't help that I did a fairly quick switchover.

It is a little expensive but the large bag of Orijen should last me just a long as the 33lb bag of Innova Adult.

So.. Overall, I'm happy with Orijen. They both love the taste of it and drool everywhere as soon as they smell it. LOL

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 12:08:17 pm by Lyn »

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 12:13:20 pm »
Okay great, thanks for the info! Mine are each on 4 cups a day now of the Canidae so maybe they would eat less of the Orijen since yours eat about that much and are huge lol. I was going to do the large breed puppy too. They've recently picked up in the eating dept though and eat like piggies. :o

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 12:16:12 pm »
We too just started with origen.  Our newf loves it and she has smaller poops too.  It is nice to have a firm poo to pick up rather than those loose ones.  We are feeding her about 4 cups a day.  She is 13 months.  We just started cold turkey because that is what my breeder told me to do and we had no real loose stools to start with so we were happy with that.
She was on ACANA before and was allergic to the dried egg.  We were concerned that she wold be allergic to this food because of the egg but it is fresh eggs and so far so good.  But they are bringing out a new formula in June with Fresh fish.  No egg in that so we may switch over to that later.  The protein is high but with a dog being a carnivore that is what every one is telling me they should eat.
We also like the fact that it is like feeding raw, only this is in kibble form.  I am also feeding the large breed puppy.
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline Johnnysgirl_668

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 12:27:52 pm »
You scared me. I saw the title of the thread and thought, OMG, Orijen pulled their food and I just bought some!  :o

I just switched my 15wk GSD over to it. He wolfed it down like I hadn't fed him in weeks. It's a bit confusing on the "large breed" food bag, as it has "adult weight" and then "age in months". I'm assuming you feed by how big they are supposed to get, which if I'm right, he's to get between 2 1/2 - 4 1/2 c. for 40-60kg adult weight. He should be around the 40kg weight, so I'm feeding him 2 1/2 c. as opposed to the 4 1/2 c. on the Nutrience.

Hopefully this is the right amount. I'll see over the next few days I guess.

I will also be switching my cats over to it, once they have some cat food in stock. Their feedings will go from 3/4 c. down to 1/2 c. per day. My store didn't have the large bags of dog food, but I paid $30 for the 15lb bag, whereas I paid half that for the Nutrience. In the long run, I'll probably just break even, but hopefully I'll win on the less poop factor.

I'll keep you updated with the new food.
You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, "My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!" - Dave Barry

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 01:46:31 pm »
Thanks guys. All the info really helps!

:)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 02:06:50 pm »
Here is the website for Orijen.

http://www.acana.cz/orijen/about/

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 06:26:33 pm »
mama23+pyrs2, I just wanted to tell you that you're feeding your pups the same amount and maybe more in the near future than Bubba and Lola because yours are puppies still. Their metabolism is fast and since they are growing they need all that food. You will definitely feed them less as they get older though. At one point Gweck was eating 8 cups of food/day and then as he got older and wasn't growing as much I didn't need to feed him as much.

Yeah, after I typed that I was thinking that too. I know they have so much growing to do. I was just hoping they would eat less of the Orijen because it's pretty pricey for less, and I thought it might even out if less satisfies them. Their site says they will eat less than any other puppy food so I guess I'd have to see. BUT, I know with the good foods, they're supposed to poop less and if that's the case, I'd hate to see what a cheap food would do to them. :o

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 09:06:56 pm »
Sounds like a good food. I love the difference a good food makes on poops! Atlas was at the park and I saw a pup pooping that was smaller than Atlas and it was HUGE. It was also orangish in color... Atlas is on Royal Canin Maxi Puppy and will soon switch to Royal Canin GSD, it is really expensive but worth it! I am going to look into this food for my paps though! They eat 1/2 cup of food a day each.
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 06:58:08 am »
Sounds like a good food. I love the difference a good food makes on poops! Atlas was at the park and I saw a pup pooping that was smaller than Atlas and it was HUGE. It was also orangish in color... Atlas is on Royal Canin Maxi Puppy and will soon switch to Royal Canin GSD, it is really expensive but worth it! I am going to look into this food for my paps though! They eat 1/2 cup of food a day each.

Yeah well I really figured on the food they are on, they would have smaller more compact stools but that has not been the case. I know they are large puppies, and so I guess what comes out is going to be large lol. I seriously cannot believe how big and how much these dogs can put out. You would think we had 2 full grown golden retrievers. When they are all grown up, I guess it will look like we have elephants. :-X

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 07:49:35 am »
I was so excited when Joy pooped out the smaller poos.  It was a great day, they were solid and small.  Well, smaller....We just put Amy on it today so hopefully hers will firm up and be less of a cow pie.  Smaller would be good too.  I will let you know how it goes.
Isn't it funny how it all comes back to poop talk.  How is your dogs poop?  How big is it?  Etc....Hilario us, only dog people talk of poop like its nothing.
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline Johnnysgirl_668

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 10:06:43 am »
I don't know about the rest of you, but Bear can't seem to get enough of Orijen. He devours it like there's no tomorrow, and hasn't been fed in weeks. I'm using it as training treats too, and BOY does he listen well now.  ;D

His poops are solid, first time in a long time. It's hard to say if the amount is smaller, as it's hard to compare cow patties to sausages.
You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, "My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!" - Dave Barry