Author Topic: Raw Feeding - Started with chicken breast - what meat next???  (Read 6608 times)

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
We have been feeding Cirra the prepared raw Bravo Blends and have recently added "real" chicken breasts - no complaints from her!!!  Any suggestions on what other "real" meats with bones to try next?  Any other helpful hints about raw feeding???

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
Re: Raw Feeding - Started with chicken breast - what meat next???
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 09:26:12 pm »
Turkey necks, chicken backs, chicken wings, rib bones (with just a bit of meat attached) cow femurs, salmon (but be careful of mercury levels)raw knuckle bones, pigs feet, whole raw fish, organ meat (mixed with yogurt, greens, vitamins, eggs etc to make veggie glop) tripe (ewwwwwww)

try to avoid large cuts of meat without bones, like chicken breasts and steaks... too much meat can make them sick, they should eat as much or more bone then meat ;)

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline claire1011

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 08:50:10 pm »
I started jazzie on the Raw Meaty Bone diet at a very young age,he has been perfect on it and has always chewed every bit of bone.
He gets Lamb Necks,ribs,Chicken Wings(which he adores!!)chicken legs,small amount of Liver and a kidney now and again and his Usual Dried Food.
His teeth are very clean and has a lovely soft glossy coat,so I know that his Diet is a Good one.
Hope Cirra does well on it too :)

Dont think he would have it any other way.

chaosndestruction

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 04:30:40 am »
haha WHOA! For a minute before I read what you wrote I thought the "bone" was something else (insert shocked face here, for some reason the smileys aren't working for me when I click them). Ok I think I just need to get my mind out of the gutter:/

Offline claire1011

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 07:21:26 am »
lol........... c what u mean now I've had a good look hehe:):):)

Offline yukonlance

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 04:07:17 am »
hi my name is lance. i have 2 great pyrenees.i was curious. do you feed any tablescraps or kibble along with bravo-raw-based formula ??? or is it just the raw meaty bones ??? please let me know! also do you use any form of heartworm or flea and tick prevention ???

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 04:19:49 am »
We are just feeding Bravo and so far chicken breasts with bones.  We don't usually have many table scraps.  We would feed them however not from the dinner table.  We are ready to try another meat with bones and aren't sure what to try next?  We don't have a lot of options at the moment.  Other raw feeders - Are the rib bones from lamb OK? 

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 04:31:12 am »
We are just feeding Bravo and so far chicken breasts with bones.  We don't usually have many table scraps.  We would feed them however not from the dinner table.  We are ready to try another meat with bones and aren't sure what to try next?  We don't have a lot of options at the moment.  Other raw feeders - Are the rib bones from lamb OK? 
I would try turkey next (necks, backs, etc.). Lamb is least digestable of all for dogs. Pork shoulders with bones and necks are great as well. MMM, I am getting hungry! LOL
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Gemz

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 04:45:56 am »
I found out about the raw meaty bone diet a couple of years ago and put my boy on it straight away (aged 15month)

couple tips i found its easier if you get the cheapest value chicken as it contains mostly bones anyway.

Turkey goes down very well, as does a nice big pork hoc. His absolute favourite are lamb ribs, but aparently this doesnt digest well with most dogs. best way around this diet is to try little bits of everything and see how the dog reacts.

ps i also feed him raw/lightly steamed veg and table scraps as long as they aren't to unhealthy (eg chips)

Offline claire1011

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 07:09:25 am »
I've always found Lamb Ribs are ok,but as Gemz said try little,different bits and see how the dog is on it.

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 03:18:55 pm »
Thanks for all the wonderful input!  Cirra is ready to try it all!  Hah, hah!  Now if we can find it....the groceries seem to carry mostly prepped cuts of meat or cleaned bones.  We're looking into local meat producers as well...