Author Topic: Spaying during heat.  (Read 4942 times)

Lyn

Spaying during heat.
« on: April 26, 2007, 01:42:31 am »
Just wondering if anyone here had their dog spayed during heat and if they noticed any problems as a result?

I'm seriously thinking about taking Lola in to be spayed asap. She's 15 days into her cycle and is in the 'fertile stage'.

Bubba has went from behaving himself to acting like a love starved maniac. I've been keeping them seperate but he's broken the basement doorknob to get upstairs (luckily I had a spare doorknob and lock), he escaped *through* the outdoor kennel, right through the fencing and was going to jump through the patio door. He's also not eating (not a bite of food since the 23rd).. heck he doesn't even want to go to the bathroom.

I know neutering him right now won't stop the behaviour and he will still be fertile for a short time... so my only option would be to spay Lola now. But I don't want to cause her any problems either. If I need to wait, then I'll suffer through this and wait. Technically it's my own fault anyway.. and I'm paying for it let me tell you. I am NEVER doing this again.

Anyway back on topic. I'm going to call my vet as soon as he opens and talk with him about it. But I wanted to get opinions from you all about spaying during heat. Concerns?

Offline DogGuideDan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Dog Guide
Re: Spaying during heat.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 02:40:44 am »
Having "served a stint" at a non-profit clinic, we saw a ton of females in heat come to be spayed.  Having a long waiting list will do that!  However the entire surgical staff was extremely skilled and beyond comfortable with the procedure.  While there occasionally was some extra bleeding during the surgery and the dogs were watched very carefully during recovery, I never saw an incident directly related to this issue.

Good luck with whatever you choose!  It sounds like a rough time over there!
-Dan
Reef- 6yo APBT
Lucian - Dogue De Bordeaux Puppy
www.dogguide.n et

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 02:43:19 am »
Thanks Jenn, Holly and  ThatDuckyBoy. :)

My vet wants to wait until 3 months after her heat finishes. But I'm going to call and ask him if he is ok with doing it now and go from there.

You know before she went into heat I was confident that I could manage/do this. Now I'm getting worried that I'm going to fail at keeping them apart. I don't want her to have puppies and I don't want to have to abort any. So if I spay her now I won't have to stress about any of that.

Holly, For a neuter here Bubba would be home the same day. Surgery is done in the morning and he'd be home by 5pm. The problem would be keeping him calm. Unless I got something to keep him dopey? He litterally spends most of the day pacing and whining until he exhausts himself then he'll sleep for 10 minutes. :(
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 02:44:36 am by Lyn »

Anakalia

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 02:43:47 am »
OH MY!!  Sounds like you're having a horrible go of it!  Bubba probably won't eat or do much of anything except try to get to Lola so I do think something needs to be done.  When I worked at the vet clinic I assisted in a couple of spays while the female was in heat.  It's more complicated then a regular spay and it may cost more because of the time involved.  The vet did tell the owners that healing time may take a bit longer, and I was never in contact with the dog owners after the fact so I don't know if there were any long term problems.  Holly had a good idea too about getting Bubba neutered.  Whatever you decide, good luck!

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 02:46:51 am »
I'm going to call the vet right now. I'll let you all know what he says.

Lyn

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 06:19:29 am »
Thanks Stella. I can live with his hormonal freakiness for the time being. I just so paranoid that Lola is going to get preggo that I'm stressing myself out. Spaying her will hopefully help me chill out. I'm a really high stress person normally so this is sending me over the edge.

My vet said he will spay her since she's close to coming out of heat now anyway. Spay is $150 and plus an extra $30 to spay while in heat and I need to get her rabies vaccine. So the total is $225. I thought it was going to be much more expensive.

So I'm just waiting on hubby to get home from work to discuss it with him. He wanted to know the cost before I booked the appointment.

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 02:05:03 pm »
We just (as in 10 days ago) had Anna spayed while she was coming into heat.  We've had no physical healing issues with her (her stitches come out tomorrow) but we've had some freaky behavioural issues.  I swear she thinks she had pups.  She has taken every stuffy and toy in the house into her cage, and this morning when I was patting her good morning, Sheba went into the cage.  Anna fought her.  FOUGHT her!  I had to break them up.  I think the hormonal stuff may take a bit longer to settle ... but I'm sure looking forward to having a pleasant Newf out of this deal!

Good luck with everything!
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 02:10:29 pm »
Thanks Stella. I can live with his hormonal freakiness for the time being. I just so paranoid that Lola is going to get preggo that I'm stressing myself out. Spaying her will hopefully help me chill out. I'm a really high stress person normally so this is sending me over the edge.

My vet said he will spay her since she's close to coming out of heat now anyway. Spay is $150 and plus an extra $30 to spay while in heat and I need to get her rabies vaccine. So the total is $225. I thought it was going to be much more expensive.

So I'm just waiting on hubby to get home from work to discuss it with him. He wanted to know the cost before I booked the appointment.
Lyn, please do not vaccinate her right before or after the surgery! I have heard of various implications if you do so. She has to have a strong immune system for the surgery and vaccine will destroy that.
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)