Author Topic: Heartworm and flea and tick prevention - what to do????????  (Read 5774 times)

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Heartworm and flea and tick prevention - what to do????????
« on: April 27, 2007, 04:30:58 am »
What does everyone do?  Last year we gave Cirra Heartgard Plus every six weeks as opposed to every four which was suggested by The Whole Dog Journal.  We will probably start that again this year however we are concerned about the side effects of the product. We don't use any topical products for ticks and fleas.  We don't have a problem with fleas however there are ticks in our area.  We check Cirra for ticks on a regular basis and use a tick remover called Trix to remove any that we find.  We have put some herbal formulas on a bandana for Cirra to repel ticks however don't know how successful it is.  We do not give Cirra the vaccine for Lyme Disease.   

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Heartworm and flea and tick prevention - what to do????????
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 04:36:21 am »
I do not give Lily Lyme vaccine either. I know plenty of dogs who got the desease with vaccine. I don't think that the benefit outweights the side effects. If your dog has a strong immune system and you remove ticks on regular basis the chances are very low.

The same for fleas. Nothing for us...

As for the heartworm preventives I use certified back walnut mixture when at risk (when the tempratures stays 57F and higher for more then 3 weeks)

So far so good!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 04:38:27 am by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline morph's mom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Morpheus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 04:48:36 am »
What is the certified black walnut mixture??  We just moved back to indiana from california and this is the first time that I have had to deal with heart worms.  My parents never did any preventative with thier dogs when I was growing up (I didnt know any better at the time) so I dont know what I should or should not do.  They are on frontline for fleas and ticks but AJ has such long hair and is sooo low to the ground that when we go on the only dog freindly trail here he seems to bring a whole colony ticks home with him.  We have only found 3 on Morph.  What is this lyme disease vaccine also??

Thanks
Carrie
Morpheus Mastidane 1 yr

A. J. Keeshound  3 yr

Dogs are really people with short legs in fur coats

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person." - Andrew A. Rooney

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 04:56:03 am »
What is the certified black walnut mixture??  We just moved back to indiana from california and this is the first time that I have had to deal with heart worms.  My parents never did any preventative with thier dogs when I was growing up (I didnt know any better at the time) so I dont know what I should or should not do.  They are on frontline for fleas and ticks but AJ has such long hair and is sooo low to the ground that when we go on the only dog freindly trail here he seems to bring a whole colony ticks home with him.  We have only found 3 on Morph.  What is this lyme disease vaccine also??

Thanks
Carrie
Lyme desease is carried by deer ticks. They are very small and hard to find on the dark coated dog. It is very common in new England and CT area. Just Google it and you will find plenty of info. Lyme desease is easily treated when cought early with herbal medications or antibiotics (whatever you prefer). If you choose to vaccinate your dog you have to do it annualy. A lot of dogs have various side effects to the vaccine and a lot of dogs don't even get full immunity. That is why we choose not to do it.

Certified black walnut mixture is one the best herbal remedies which helps with parasites including the heartworm.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 05:21:57 am by People Whisperer »
Mary W. Crane

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 04:56:53 am »
I don't vaccinate for lyme disease not do I typically use flea and tick preventative.  I generally treat my yard for fleas and ticks and only use Frontline when they are going to the woods for a hike.  But we do have to treat for heartworms year round since we are in TX.  I have used Heartguard and Iverhart and now just switched to Interceptor.  They will receive their first dose of Interceptor next week so I'll let you know how that goes.  I will say that I'm not so sure that I would go 6 weeks between treatments for heartworms just because I had a dog contract heartworms and we missed one treatment due to moving.  So I am even more diligent on the once a month treatment.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 05:00:08 am »

Thanks
Carrie

This is a great mixture which sc. trojan posted a while ago and that is what I use.

"With this said, I have found through experience that many safe, natural products work just as well if not better than toxic pesticides.  Rose geranium oil or palmarosa oil is just as effective at repelling ticks and not harmful for my dogs in the process.  I have to apply them far more often so they lack the mindless convenient factor that longer term chemicals offer, but I do not see this as a problem for me.  Here is the recipe:

Mix 1 part palmarosa oil with 2 parts almond or olive oil.
You can add fresh lemon juice for added impact. You can also add citronella oil and lavender oil for flea repelling at the same time.  I use a dropper to drop on strategically where ticks go - back of head, neck, chest, under arms and belly and reapply every 2-3 days as needed. Many I know also use this recipe in other parts of the country where they have a larger problem, and they put in a small spray bottle, dilute with 50% water so that they can spray the solution all over their animal - avoiding the face and mucous membranes. This includes those I know in New England, where many live in fear of lyme.  It also makes a shiny coat"

Mary W. Crane

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 09:54:33 am »
What is the certified black walnut mixture?? We just moved back to indiana from california and this is the first time that I have had to deal with heart worms. My parents never did any preventative with thier dogs when I was growing up (I didnt know any better at the time) so I dont know what I should or should not do. They are on frontline for fleas and ticks but AJ has such long hair and is sooo low to the ground that when we go on the only dog freindly trail here he seems to bring a whole colony ticks home with him. We have only found 3 on Morph. What is this lyme disease vaccine also??

Thanks
Carrie

This is a great mixture which sc. trojan posted a while ago and that is what I use.

"With this said, I have found through experience that many safe, natural products work just as well if not better than toxic pesticides. Rose geranium oil or palmarosa oil is just as effective at repelling ticks and not harmful for my dogs in the process. I have to apply them far more often so they lack the mindless convenient factor that longer term chemicals offer, but I do not see this as a problem for me. Here is the recipe:

You can add fresh lemon juice for added impact. You can also add citronella oil and lavender oil for flea repelling at the same time. I use a dropper to drop on strategically where ticks go - back of head, neck, chest, under arms and belly and reapply every 2-3 days as needed. Many I know also use this recipe in other parts of the country where they have a larger problem, and they put in a small spray bottle, dilute with 50% water so that they can spray the solution all over their animal - avoiding the face and mucous membranes. This includes those I know in New England, where many live in fear of lyme. It also makes a shiny coat"

Hi,

I just bought the essential oils you mention, I am no chemist so what exactly is a "Part"?

I live in MA, and camp regularly throughout New England and run winslow through the woods often I ahve already pulled a few ticks off him so I am doing Frontline and plan to mix up the herbal spray to for woods days!!

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 09:55:18 am by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 10:00:28 am »
i would think a part is like, depending on what amount you're making, if you want 3 tablespoons, you'd have 1 tablespoon palmarosa oil with 2 tablespoons almond or olive oil. i hope that makes sense!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 10:56:21 am »
i would think a part is like, depending on what amount you're making, if you want 3 tablespoons, you'd have 1 tablespoon palmarosa oil with 2 tablespoons almond or olive oil. i hope that makes sense!
That's right!
Mary W. Crane

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 11:08:26 am »
Hi,

Makes perfect sense thanks!!
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 01:51:11 pm »
At the vet yesturday, a dog came in who was having a reaction to the Heartguard chewables. Aparently ogs can have reactions to the ingredients in the heartguard or in the chewable ingredients. So it is safer to use a product like intraceptor. Merlin was allergic to heartguard, but has been on intraceptor and does great!
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon