Author Topic: My dog is a ....what?  (Read 34421 times)

Offline morph's mom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Morpheus
    • View Profile
Re: My dog is a ....what?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2007, 10:06:52 am »
HAHAHAHAH Morph is over a year old and we STILL get the feet comments.  I know all too well what you mean.  LMAO ::)
Morpheus Mastidane 1 yr

A. J. Keeshound  3 yr

Dogs are really people with short legs in fur coats

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person." - Andrew A. Rooney

Offline Johnnysgirl_668

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2007, 10:26:42 am »
I know, it's like we're idiots and didn't realize what kind of breed we have. My husband and I just start LOL when someone says it now. Of course, the person looks at us like we're aliens or on drugs cuz we're laughing so loud.
You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, "My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!" - Dave Barry

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2007, 12:28:34 pm »
Gunther (great dane)
the most commen comment is horse, followed by:
greyhound
mastiff
he hasn't been called pitbull since he was a puppy
tiger
I just love it when they say: you must have a big yard/house.  I just love telling them that nope, right now I'm actually homeless...... ...lol (which is technically true)

Keiko (husky and probably shep mix)
they usually get the husky part right b/c of her odd eyes.........a lthough I get asked all the time if she's blind in that eye (whaaaaa?)
wolf
coyote.......y es, I have a pet coyote that I bring into town with me that has odd eyes and loves people

Nigel and Posey (rat terriers)
most commen by like 95% is min pin.......hmmm m, last time I checked, min pins only came in black and tan (both n&p are tricolors)
today someone asked manchester terrier (nigel)
chihuahua (posey)
jack russel terrier
basenji

And of course the big yard/house comment comes up again when people see me with 4 dogs and find out they're mine.  They will ask, "are they all yours?"  No, I found them all wandering around and decided to start a collection.  And the "who's walking who" comment is really old, along with any reference to a horse or saddle.

Offline DogGuideDan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Dog Guide
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2007, 01:18:10 pm »
Lucian has been called:
a pug
a bug or buggle or puggle
a sharpei (way too many times)
a lab
a pit bull
a dogo
a cane corso
and a boxer

Reef has been called:
A boxer
A black lab
A greyhound mix

And please don't get me started on the feet thing.  I know exactly what you are all talking about!
-Dan
Reef- 6yo APBT
Lucian - Dogue De Bordeaux Puppy
www.dogguide.n et

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2007, 01:19:44 pm »
I know, it's like we're idiots and didn't realize what kind of breed we have. My husband and I just start LOL when someone says it now. Of course, the person looks at us like we're aliens or on drugs cuz we're laughing so loud.

i actually got into an argument with a guy b/c he said axle was a german shepherd / great dane mix.  he swore upside down that i was mistaken, until i lied (yes, i lied, i don't have papers but if i wanted to pay all of the fees for the AKC since his parents' owners lost the mom's papers i could have them) and said slightly too loud, "would you like me to go home and get his registration papers?!"  he was on my nerves so bad, how can you tell someone what kind of dog they own ???
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2007, 01:57:25 pm »
coyote.......yes, I have a pet coyote that I bring into town with me that has odd eyes and loves people

This cracked me up.

I took the dogs to Eeyore's Birthday, a festival/celebration in Austin yesterday-lots of hippies drinking beer and banging drums all day. It's great. Anyway, I mostly got Saint Bernard for Riley (or "Beethoven!"), but I got two Newfoundland comments and quite a few "What is IT?"

People usually correctly identify Sadie as a lab, though I've gotten the pit mix question. She looks like a lab straight out of a calendar or book.

And of course, the horse, saddle, food, yard/house size, and who's walking who comments come frequently, as do the stares in awe when I say they live inside (especially in my area of town where that just doesn't happen).

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2007, 02:07:32 pm »
I can't believe I missed this thread,
I've got to go back and read all the funnies.

Magic has gotten all kinds of guesses.????

He is a Bouvier AKC but he is fawn or blonde,and I have him in a schanuzer type hair cut.

a terrier of some kind
a gaint scotti
airdale
schanuzer

I know there are more I just can't think of them

Rarely someone will recognize he is a Bouvier,but we take it all in good humor.

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2007, 06:10:08 pm »
Siberian Huskies-

Wolves, constantly.
Mutts (People down here apparently aren't used to well bred siberian huskies, and when they see my, say, 35 LB red bitch with brown eyes, she couldn't POSSIBLY be a "real husky" as she's too small and doesnt have blue eyes... the last person that did this to me argued with me for 20 minutes saying she KNEW HUSKIES since she was an AKC BREEDER and none of hers were EVER under 90LBS...sorry, you had MALAMUTES. I finally told her I would write all the judges that put her up and tell them how I fooled them with a mixed breed, and would then renounce her championship  ::) )
Malamutes, which is SO suprising.
GSDs  ???  ???
Best one was I was out walking three and someone stopped me and said "Are those dogs REAL??" It took me a moment to answer and then I answered with "No, I just like to take my stuffed animals for a brisk consitutional every morning"

Afghan hounds:

Greyhounds
Whipets
salukis  ??? I would think Saluki is a LESS known breed then afghan hound
Mutt
"What is that dog?"

Chinese Cresteds:

Hairless rat (lovely)
Hairless CAT
Mexican Hairless
Xolo
Terrier
Mutt
Puffs get called Yorkies, Poms, mutts, Pekes etc
"What happened to its HAIR?!"
"What is that?"

Whiskey (Tail less golden)

Australian Shepherd <~Constantly
Golden Mix
"White Lab"
Cocker mix  ???
"Why did you cut off his TAIL?!" Umm.. I didn't, its a birth defect, he was born that way.
"Hey, he doesnt have a tail!" What, really?! HOLY CRAP! How did I miss that?

« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 06:10:45 pm by whiskeyandsake »

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2007, 07:34:30 pm »
Reef has been called:
A boxer
A black lab
A greyhound mix

This mix-up is my favorite so far, everyone who is terrified of Pitts and they can't even identify one! I guess they only come in Brindle and every brindle is a pitt. (Can we see some more pics of Reef and Lucien ;D )

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2007, 02:17:42 am »
Yup, I've definitely been taken because ALL St. Bernards are long haired!  Didn't you know that?  He can't possibly be a short haired Saint!!  Maybe a Saint cross, but he's definitely not a full saint.

I love how much people think they know!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Lyn

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2007, 03:05:26 am »
I get the same thing. There is no such thing as a short-haired Saint. Or why did you shave him? I've been asked if Bubba was a Saint/Dane mix when he was going through the leggy stage. With Lola I get 'told' alot that there is no such thing as a half-mask Saint so she must be a mix. LOL

Anakalia

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2007, 03:19:52 am »
Siberian Huskies-

Wolves, constantly.

We used to have a red/white husky and we heard that wolf thing all the time!  She had one blue one brown eye and we actually had someone threaten to call the cops on us because "it's illegal to have a pet wolf on your property"! hahahahaha 

Most people know what Koby is but we'v had a few silly guesses on his breed:

Doberman
Rottie
Greyhound

With his coloring I thought for sure we'd get the "oh that's a weim" but no ones ever said that.  I absolutely hate it when someone asks "What the heck is that THING?"  ::)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2007, 03:59:28 am »
Hmm, well I don't get that much. I get the feet thing of course, I get the saddle thing- 'boy when they grow up..' I don't mind it though, people have been nice and are always in love with them. I don't get breed guesses that I can remember. People ALWAYS ask what they are. It's a 50/50 shot if they know the breed once I tell them, but you just don't see them around, I've never seen one actually. They just ask and then either ask how big they will get or say, wow..they're gonna be huge huh. I'll say, just a little. ;)

I really want to get them a play date with my mil's 2 maltese but I think she thinks (as most people would) that they would have them for snack. They love little dogs though!

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2007, 09:02:29 am »
I love this thread!  When I walk with Bo EVERYONE has to stop and weigh in on her size & what kind of breed she is.  I have heard the following so many times I hear them in my sleep:

"Is she a white/albino Newf?"
"I've never seen an all white St. Bernard before"
"are you sure she's a pure breed...aren't they usually all black?"
"is that a white golden retriever?" (huh?)
"what do you FEED her?"  (ill-behaved children.  and kibble)
"How big are her poops?"  (why would someone need to know the answer to that?)
"Does she weigh more than you do?"  (that one makes me cringe)
"Where's her saddle?"
"Is that a polar bear?"  (yeah, the zoo loaned her to me to make my walks more interesting...)
"DAMN!"
and my personal favorite

"Holy shit that's a huge dog!"   (that's my girl!)
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2007, 09:15:15 am »
I love this thread!  When I walk with Bo EVERYONE has to stop and weigh in on her size & what kind of breed she is.  I have heard the following so many times I hear them in my sleep:

"Is she a white/albino Newf?"
"I've never seen an all white St. Bernard before"
"are you sure she's a pure breed...aren't they usually all black?"
"is that a white golden retriever?" (huh?)
"what do you FEED her?"  (ill-behaved children.  and kibble)
"How big are her poops?"  (why would someone need to know the answer to that?)
"Does she weigh more than you do?"  (that one makes me cringe)
"Where's her saddle?"
"Is that a polar bear?"  (yeah, the zoo loaned her to me to make my walks more interesting...)
"DAMN!"
and my personal favorite

"Holy shit that's a huge dog!"   (that's my girl!)

lol, loved those.