Author Topic: Feeding question  (Read 4976 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Feeding question
« on: May 03, 2007, 09:12:12 am »
So, I'm just wondering if the pups are eating enough. They are growing well it seems, it's just that they are SO hungry at mealtime and they scarf down the bowl in just a couple of minutes. I don't know whether or not I should be feeding them more than twice a day or not. What do you think? They used to be really pretty light eaters and as they've grown of course, they've started to eat like horses and I just want to make sure I'm giving enough. They eat 2 cups around 6 am and then 2 more cups between 3 and 4 pm. They are eating the all life stages Canidae which says for their weight and age: 2-4 cups a day but says they can be fed 3-4 times a day, yikes! There are 468 calories per cup. Whatcha think?

Oh, and they are about 4.5 months old now.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 09:12:44 am by mama23+pyrs2 »

mama23+pyrs2

Re: Feeding question
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 09:36:14 am »
Yeah it seems they burn it up pretty well haha. I feed them together and I know Yukon will finish first and then start on Yiska's bowl then poor Yiska is left looking around like huh? Got anymore? I guess I thought maybe they were too young to only eat twice, but before, it seemed to work whereas now, I'm wondering if a change is in order. I could try to add a snack like you say..

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 09:55:48 am »
I would definitely add another meal. Twice a day is not enough for them since they are growing. It is recommended to feed pups 3 time a day until they are 6 months. Pyr rearly overeat. I free feed Lily and she never eats more then she should.
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 11:34:51 am »
I agree, I would add another meal in the middle of the day, too.  We've raised 2 Pyr puppies and neither of them ever over ate, so it just wasn't a concern.  I know that since you have 2 puppies that you can't free feed, but if you offer a mid day meal every day, then they can let you know what they need.  Our puppies appetites varied from day to day with activity level and growth spurts, so one day they may be full with 2 meals, the next they may need more.  So that's why I'd offer the 3rd meal each day and just see what they "say".  Cassie is 23 months old now and she still eats a ton some days, and very little other days.  She's very healthy and happy, so it just seems to be normal for her.  I'd love to see some new pics of your adorable puppy furballs!  :-*  You know I have a serious weakness for Pyr pups!   ;D

BTW, are your pups "blowing coat" yet?  Even brushing daily we're in the "polar bears in a snow storm" stage here! LOL
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 01:17:00 pm »
I agree, I would add another meal in the middle of the day, too.  We've raised 2 Pyr puppies and neither of them ever over ate, so it just wasn't a concern.  I know that since you have 2 puppies that you can't free feed, but if you offer a mid day meal every day, then they can let you know what they need.  Our puppies appetites varied from day to day with activity level and growth spurts, so one day they may be full with 2 meals, the next they may need more.  So that's why I'd offer the 3rd meal each day and just see what they "say".  Cassie is 23 months old now and she still eats a ton some days, and very little other days.  She's very healthy and happy, so it just seems to be normal for her.  I'd love to see some new pics of your adorable puppy furballs!  :-*  You know I have a serious weakness for Pyr pups!   ;D

BTW, are your pups "blowing coat" yet?  Even brushing daily we're in the "polar bears in a snow storm" stage here! LOL

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll definitely add in a third meal and see how it goes. I'm sure they'd be more content, I'd hate to think they were hungry.

As far as their coats, yeah... something is definitely happening there lol. Before a couple weeks ago, they didn't really shed and now all of a sudden they are dropping big clumps of white hair everywhere I turn. We don't brush regularly so that's not good. Since I haven't been feeling well, hubby has been in charge of spending most the time with them and the brushing and well, when he's in charge of anything, nothing much gets done. :o It was nice when I didn't find white hairballs all over the rug. lol I will try to get some new pics of them, they are sooo dirty right now, spending a lot of time outside and eww. I'm very tempted to let them have a salon day. ;D

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 01:38:29 pm »
Yep, that sounds like what they call "blowing coat".  It's much, much more than regular shedding.  Fortunately, it happens twice a year or so, not everyday.  Of course, it depends on your climate.  We just got back from a 8 day road trip with 3 kids, 3 dogs, 1 cat (nope, no partridge in a pear tree) to a much hotter climate.  The 30 degree change really boosted their normal spring shed and the virtual zoo that we traveled with will have me wiped out for awhile.  LOL   :o  ;D  Oh, and though my hubby is great with feeding, petting & scooping (bless him), but I do all of the brushing, so I can relate.

Don't worry, I'm sure that Yukon & Yiska haven't been too hungry, or they would have been trying to counter and table surf.   ::)  But I'm sure that they'll appreciate that extra meal on the days that they're really growing.  It's a lot like with kids, one day they aren't particularly hungry, the next they're eating everything in sight.  Then the next thing you know, they've grown and their clothes are too short or too tight.  Same idea, only with fur.   ;)  Anyway, enjoy those adorable babies and post pics again when you can.  We weren't looking for a puppy when we got Cassie & Sammy, b/c my Halley was barely 3 when we lost her to bone cancer,  :'(  :'(  so we had a puppy just 4 years ago.  Still, I dearly love that stage so I'm living vicariously and enjoying your puppies for now.

BTW, I'm behind on everything due to the trip.  I saw that your baby isn't feeling well (is she doing any better?), but I didn't see that you weren't feeling well.  Are you ok?
Marie

And my pups:

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 01:49:03 pm »
Yep, that sounds like what they call "blowing coat".  It's much, much more than regular shedding.  Fortunately, it happens twice a year or so, not everyday.  Of course, it depends on your climate.  We just got back from a 8 day road trip with 3 kids, 3 dogs, 1 cat (nope, no partridge in a pear tree) to a much hotter climate.  The 30 degree change really boosted their normal spring shed and the virtual zoo that we traveled with will have me wiped out for awhile.  LOL   :o  ;D  Oh, and though my hubby is great with feeding, petting & scooping (bless him), but I do all of the brushing, so I can relate.

Don't worry, I'm sure that Yukon & Yiska haven't been too hungry, or they would have been trying to counter and table surf.   ::)  But I'm sure that they'll appreciate that extra meal on the days that they're really growing.  It's a lot like with kids, one day they aren't particularly hungry, the next they're eating everything in sight.  Then the next thing you know, they've grown and their clothes are too short or too tight.  Same idea, only with fur.   ;)  Anyway, enjoy those adorable babies and post pics again when you can.  We weren't looking for a puppy when we got Cassie & Sammy, b/c my Halley was barely 3 when we lost her to bone cancer,  :'(  :'(  so we had a puppy just 4 years ago.  Still, I dearly love that stage so I'm living vicariously and enjoying your puppies for now.

BTW, I'm behind on everything due to the trip.  I saw that your baby isn't feeling well (is she doing any better?), but I didn't see that you weren't feeling well.  Are you ok?

Yeah, I know how the puppy itch is, that's a hard one. My baby is okay, not sure what's going on there but I'm still dealing with her fever. :-\ I may have to take her to the doc tomorrow, which I sure hope not because they are still not on insurance due to hubby recently switching jobs, ugh..what a pain. I'm okay, in time it will pass. Just feeling like crap now.

The pups spend most their free non crate time outside and usually the evenings in here with us, but are so very good..they don't beg too much for food or seem like they're starving or anything but they are sure growing quickly, I'm sure they need the extra. Yukon is about 45 lbs now and solid as a rock and Yiska is up to 35, just still more petite but so lanky hahah. They are changing so fast, it's funny to see. They have these huge long muzzles that you can tell they need to grow into hahahha.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 02:02:05 pm »

Yeah, I know how the puppy itch is, that's a hard one. My baby is okay, not sure what's going on there but I'm still dealing with her fever. :-\ I may have to take her to the doc tomorrow, which I sure hope not because they are still not on insurance due to hubby recently switching jobs, ugh..what a pain. I'm okay, in time it will pass. Just feeling like crap now.

The pups spend most their free non crate time outside and usually the evenings in here with us, but are so very good..they don't beg too much for food or seem like they're starving or anything but they are sure growing quickly, I'm sure they need the extra. Yukon is about 45 lbs now and solid as a rock and Yiska is up to 35, just still more petite but so lanky hahah. They are changing so fast, it's funny to see. They have these huge long muzzles that you can tell they need to grow into hahahha.

I hope that you and the baby feel better soon.  It's hard having to worry about money (no insurance) at the same time as illness.   :(

That sounds familiar.  I love how one day they have the long muzzle, then the next day they have cute big 'ol Dumbo ears for awhile.  Too cute!  They sound like such good puppies.  Enjoy!!
Marie

And my pups: