Author Topic: Speaking of blowing coats..  (Read 5346 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Speaking of blowing coats..
« on: May 06, 2007, 10:13:34 pm »
Tis the season I guess. Mine have been at it awhile as well. Thankfully because they still have puppy hair, it's not as bad as all the horror pictures I'm seeing lol. I'm truly terrified of when that time comes, there are already white balls drifting through the house and they aren't even loose in here most of the time.

My question is, what is the best tool for using on them at this time or in general? So far, all we've used is a pin brush but it's not doing the trick. I've seen those undercoat rakes and all the different things are kind of overwhelming, so what would be best you think? Would one work better on a daily basis and one for when they are blowing?

Also, they are incredibly smelly, just that nasty dirty dog smelly and not to mention it's been rainy here and they've gotten wet muddy and OMG, that smell kills me. I was looking at some of the shampoo suggestions on another post to get some ideas. I REALLY want to get them groomed, just because I don't feel like tackling another bath any time soon but they don't have their Bordetella yet. Is there any special trick groomers can do to make the shedding any less, or will they just basically wash and brush them? I have no groomer experience.

Thanks!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Speaking of blowing coats..
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 10:28:54 pm »
I use Professional grade shampoo with Tea Tree Oil. It is absolutely fantastic! I only wash her once every two months. She stays clean and smells great all the time...even after rain.
About brushes...Oh, boy, I have tried all kinds of them by the time I have found something that works. Here is what I use:

First I use a Professional Pin Brush with very long pins to get all the way through the undercoat.

Then I use a metal comb. It does wonders!

On her paws I use Furminator. It does not cut the hair! It gently removes undercoat and loose hair. It's Fantastic! You can't really use it on the coat since it is very think (it will be pretty soon!)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 10:43:49 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 10:52:13 pm »
I use Professional grade shampoo with Tea Tree Oil. It is absolutely fantastic! I only wash her once every two months. She stays clean and smells great all the time...even after rain.
About brushes...Oh, boy, I have tried all kinds of them by the time I have found something that works. Here is what I use:

First I use a Professional Pin Brush with very long pins to get all the way through the undercoat.

Then I use a metal comb. It does wonders!

On her paws I use Furminator. It does not cut the hair! It gently removes undercoat and loose hair. It's Fantastic! You can't really use it on the coat since it is very think (it will be pretty soon!)

Thank you. I will look into these. It would be nice to keep them smelling at least decent. The only shampoo I have is this Crazy Pet baby scented one and well, they aren't cute little baby scented fluff balls anymore lol ..I'm ready for some industrial stregnth stuff haha.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 10:59:00 pm »
Kristina, I e-mailed you on yahoo account  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 11:01:12 pm »
Thank you. I will look into these. It would be nice to keep them smelling at least decent. The only shampoo I have is this Crazy Pet baby scented one and well, they aren't cute little baby scented fluff balls anymore lol ..I'm ready for some industrial stregnth stuff haha.

what's wrong with baby scented lmao!  you should see axle when he's running around with baby shampoo, and powder on his belly  ::)
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 09:23:28 am »
We've used many grooming tools over the years and I keep them on hand for different things, but the one that I use the most is the mat rake with two rows of teeth, it's wonderful!!  It has a comfortable handle, really penetrates their coats and clears out a lot of loose undercoat.  Also I have a horse brush with plastic tipped bristles for brushing out their tails.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline newfiesx3

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 04:46:17 am »
Based on your picture..he looks like he smells great!!!! ;D

As for the pups, I wipe the kids down with dryer sheets when they come in from the rain. They smell great! We use shampoo with tea tree and sage. The sage smells sooooo good!
My heart,soul...house,car,bed,kitchen,....wallet all belong to three beautiful Newfs. I wouldn't have it any other way. Hmm..we could have 4 or 5,6....

Elvis-3yr male (#1 lovey)
Stitch-2yr male (Elvis's baby bro & WILD child)
Audrey-10mo female Landseer (wanted a Hepburn, ended up with a LILO!)