Author Topic: Do Groomers Require The Bordetella Vax?  (Read 5610 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Do Groomers Require The Bordetella Vax?
« on: May 09, 2007, 03:15:34 am »
Or does it differ from place to place? What's been your experience? The dogs haven't had this vaccine yet and I don't like to vaccinate more than necessary. I want to get them groomed now cause they are too bad for me to take on,  but it won't be a regular occurrence.

Also, I've never done the grooming thing so I don't know about prices. Does $30-$35 seem average for a bath, brush and nails?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 03:35:36 am by mama23+pyrs2 »

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Do Groomers Require The Bordetella Vax?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 03:44:45 am »
That does sound average to me (since they're still pups, it will go up as they grow), but I'm sure that it does vary from place to place.  BTW, when we've had the dogs professionally groomed in the past, I ask for a mild shampoo and extra rinsing.  Since Pyrs (and many others, too) are double coated, it takes a while to really get them rinsed.  I've occasionally had problems with the dogs itching after grooming b/c either the shampoo was irritating to them or they weren't rinsed well enough.  You'll love how pretty, poufy and sweet smelling they'll be!  Pics, please???   ;D

As for Bordetella, I'd just call and ask the groomer.  I think that will vary too, but maybe someone here will know for sure.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 03:46:58 am »
Yes. All of the groomers I know require bordatella, as does my vet. I don't like it either, but its pretty common.

As far as grooming prices, that sounds VERY reasonable to me! Of course, they are still pups. But here, its $70-$100 or so to get a bath, brush and nails for Cabeza. (Needless to say, I don't take him there)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 03:55:46 am »
Okay, thanks for all the info! Wow $70-$100, OUCHY. :o Another perk of having a small dog I guess lol. She did ask weight so I guess that's what they go on, that and breed I imagine.

Nicole

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 03:56:55 am »
At the groomers here its ALL breed. They want to know what kind of coat they're dealing with.

Cabeza is Chow/Newf so he has the double coat and a THICK top coat. Its just nuts how much hair the man has. And his fur pants are like afro pants. Sheesh.