Author Topic: Question about 5mo Great Dane. :)  (Read 6903 times)

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Question about 5mo Great Dane. :)
« on: May 17, 2007, 07:00:11 pm »
 :)Hi ya'll. We are looking at getting a 2yo or a 5mo great Dane... (I wonder how many times I am going to write this today?) Any of you have a 5mo right now? About how big is there chest and neck size for a male? I would like to go prepared. What would you suggest getting for a puppy this age? Are there any favorite toys your big pups have? I was looking at the Bamboo line of toys. Are they any good? What do you feed your puppy?
Of course we will ask what the breeder feeds them but European dog food can be a lot more expensive than the American. Anyone have their food shipped to their home? I was looking at a freeze dried holistic food for the pup. About on average how much do you spend feeding a young pup?
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline newfiesx3

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Question about 5mo Great Dane. :)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 04:15:00 am »
Hi Danielle,
I recommend a good Hunden Flaucken. Try Schecker, they have a great selection of anything you could want for big kids. It is the best. Flaucken is all natural and has dried veggies,pasta,oatmeal(great for sensitive tummies),cranberry,blueberry and so on. It looks cereal and comes in a bag. Mix with hot water and then add meat of choice or dry food. My kids love fish and the oil is great for the fur. A little pumpkin cures any nausia and plain yogart once a week is a great treat and cleans away any bacteria picked up from being out and about the town. For long road trips or the dreaded plane trip I HIGHLY recommend CATNIP. Sounds crazy, I know. Any good European vet will tell you to put catnip in a piece of cheese. It is a natural and harmless sedative for dogs (and humans!) unlike tranquilizers. The Flauken is inexpensive and when we came to the states we still feed the same way, only I have to make my own Flaucken because they don't sell it here. This is a pain. If you are a military family, I'm sorry to say the PX doesn't sell a worthy food. Especially for Giant Breed. Our breeder has been showing and breeding for 27 years and we took her advise on feeding to heart. It wasn't the generations of champs in our boys bloodlines, it was how long they lived that mattered to me. When I knew that what I fed my kids could be the line between 8yrs and 14yrs of life, I was all ears. ;) Best of luck to you and if I can help in any way...glad to help
My heart,soul...house,car,bed,kitchen,....wallet all belong to three beautiful Newfs. I wouldn't have it any other way. Hmm..we could have 4 or 5,6....

Elvis-3yr male (#1 lovey)
Stitch-2yr male (Elvis's baby bro & WILD child)
Audrey-10mo female Landseer (wanted a Hepburn, ended up with a LILO!)

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 05:59:55 am »
Thanks for the info. It may be cheaper to buy that and supplement with the canned Bio meat. I remember seeing it today while I was at the pfesnapff. Right now the dogs are on Royal Canin. I was looking at The Honest Kitchen but a $73 bag would only last 1 week! Umm I have to find an alternative to that.
Danielle

Offline newfiesx3

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 02:41:56 am »
RC is great food and when you come stateside it is still available here. We have used Honest Kitchen. The kids loved it, but it doesn't make nearly as much food as it says it does and wow was it pricey. The shipping was high too. Another good one is Flint River and they ship for free. They have a Salmon and sweet potatoe that the kids have taste tested. :P When we where in Germany, laws prohibited any dog food to ship from U.S. because it was "food" and none would ship to an APOAE because they all come UPS or FEDEX. You may have better luck than I did.
My heart,soul...house,car,bed,kitchen,....wallet all belong to three beautiful Newfs. I wouldn't have it any other way. Hmm..we could have 4 or 5,6....

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 03:47:35 am »
Well we went with the 2yo. DH is thrilled to have him. I am just glad he went with a rescue. Thanks Ya'll.
Danielle

Offline newfiesx3

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 04:07:54 am »
 :D congrats on your new son! Can't wait to see pics. What is his name?

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 04:14:03 am »
I posted Joker's intro here.

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,17741.0.html

I'll go check out that info on the pet food. Thanks.

Danielle
Danielle