Author Topic: Frontline Plus...NOT WORKING  (Read 18902 times)

bigdogs@5501

Frontline Plus...NOT WORKING
« on: May 22, 2007, 06:40:50 am »
I am up for suggestions- The Frontline is not working- we are still getting fleas. We have had a lot of rain lately but will again spraying the yard this weekend. I have shaved down 2 of the Pyrs and then applied the Frontline on them and still we are having a problem. The Frontline seems to be working fairly well on the Danes. I have bought some spray and I will be spraying the pups tonight, but they know what that bottle is and by the time I get 2 of them sprayed, the rest of the crew has disappeared. I caught Zoey peering out of the creek at me last time I picked up the bottle. So suggestions anyone? And yes the Frontline was not expired and I am using the over 88 pounds on all of the dogs with the exception of Tugs and the Bassett Hound. This is going to be bad this summer since it is only May and I am having such a tough fight with it. So the cost is ridiculous and I still have fleas ... grrrr  >:(

bigdogs@5501

Re: Frontline Plus...NOT WORKING
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 07:11:53 am »
Havent tried that yet- but that is now on the list of what to buy. We have never ever had this much of a problem in the past so I am about at my wits end. And I am sure that the pups are not so thrilled either. How long does it take to notice that it is working?

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 09:27:35 am »
Yeah, Frontline stopped working for us a long time ago. :(

I've tried DE...I'm not sure if it worked or not. I'm going to coat the dog/cats/house this weekend. WE're already going bonkers.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 07:43:25 pm »
We had this problem last year  what a nightmare- natural remedies didn't work including diatomaceous earth and neither Frontline nor Advantix worked.  I hate to use chemicals but what I do now is to mix a flea dip with their shampoo and bathe once a month- I use ZEMA and it has a 30 day residual effect.  I also appplied Triacide insecticide granules to the yard- lasts about 3 months so I used it twice.  Fleas are developing an immunity to Frontline etc so they have come out with a new application this year which the fleas do not yet have an immunity.  I forget the name but you can go to KVVet and they now have it.  And you can research flea sprays from the exterminators - they recommend a spray that has a growth regulator as well as an insecticide- expensive but it does work

Offline Shotokan

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 08:32:27 pm »
We had a bad flea problem at our other house and the best thing we did was treat the yard with Nematods.  They are microscopic organisms that will eat Larvae.  I have never used anything better plus they are all natural and no adverse effects.  We have a place in Jacksonville that sells it but you can search for it online and they can mail it to you.
Holly Owned by: 
Jake, 4 YO Rat Terrier
Hiro, 4 Month Old Akita Mix

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 08:50:42 pm »
I have heard about this stuff... Not sute if it really works since we have not had any flea problems so far

http://www.fleatreats.com/
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 09:41:43 pm »
I would definitely try another approach if it were me, but that's because I don't like to use any of that topical stuff. I found this awhile ago in case we ever did encounter a flea problem, I wanted to try it: http://zappeywater.com/index.html

It would make sense to make them undesireable to fleas in the first place to get a handle on the problem if nothing else is working. I hope you find something fast! Fleas are awful, yuck. :-\

Anakalia

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 09:51:48 pm »
I'm so glad I'm not the only one that thinks Frontline is overpriced and non effective!  It's never worked for us and it smells AWFUL.  Made me so sad when I put it on my pets skin because it totally smells like poison.  The last couple of summers I've been spraying Koby with a diluted tea tree oil mixture about once a week and he has never gotten a flea or tick (knock on wood).  It does build up on the fur tho and he'll feel icky and oily after awhile so I do have to bathe him a couple times in the summer. Tea tree oil is poisonous to cats tho so you can't spray it on them.  I'm going to look around to see if I can find some DE, that stuff sounds like it roxes!

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 03:27:36 am »
oooh, Andi! That reminds me!

I also will put a combo of patchouli, sage and lavender oil on Cabeza. It seems to help repel the fleas, and he smells HEAVENLY!

I've heard of the nematodes...I spoke to one of my profs at school who raises Newfs and is also an entymologist, and he seemed to think that wouldn't reall work. But, it can't hurt to try, I would imagine.

Offline tn_outside

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 09:15:36 am »
Frontline (and Frontline Plus) has not given good results for me for years. I have talked to the vets about this and they think I am crazy. "Its the best product. No one has any problems with it."
OK--whatever. The fleas here (east Tennessee) feed on the stuff and thrive on it. I think they changed the formula to flea vitamins in an attempt to sell more of it....(joking).

I have had good luck with Revolution, although no one wants to carry it. Not sure why it is so unpopular. I have to order it online.

Also--regular flea shampoo works fine. I use crappy old Hartz conditioning flea shampoo and it kills fleas and ticks. Of course--it has no residual properties.
Anyway--look in to Revolution.
Jay

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 09:37:51 am »
I have heard that in some areas bugs are building up a resistance to Frontline.

We don't have a flea problem here so I can't speak on that end, but I know it still works on the ticks here as I've found 4 dead ones on my bed (who knows how many others are around the house).  It is a bad year for ticks though, they seem to be out earlier and very heavy this year.  I've been lucky in past years not to have any on myself, but this year alone I've already picked 5 off of me and it's still early.

Lyn

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 09:45:06 am »
We usually use Advantage for fleas and I found it pretty effective. Last year though we used Revolution (I think) since it did both heartworm and fleas. From what I can remember it worked pretty well also.

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 05:17:02 am »
I don't use toxic pesticides on my dogs so I can't comment with firsthand experience, but while fleas may be becoming resistant (certainly feasible) it could also be the actual expection of the product on the flea life cycle.

Frontline is a poison that is absorbed into the skin - it doesn't create a forcefield around the animal to prevent it from getting fleas - rather it kills the fleas only after they have hopped on and bitten/fed. So perhaps there are so many fleas - you have an infestation - that you are not seeing the effects of the fleas ultimately dying (since there are always new ones).  I think this is the more likely scenario given that I have reviewed the chemical reports from the EPA on fipronil - the active pesticide in Frontline - and think it is unlikely that fleas are immune to such a strong pesticide.

The key to controlling fleas isn't on the animal - that is their last stop and where they spend the least amount of time actually.  The key is to control the environment where they breed - yard, exterior of home, carpets, rugs etc. This is where they spend most of their time and lay eggs. You're best served to focus efforts here.

Nematodes in the yard are invaluable - a must in my view. DE is also a must and should line cracks and crevices outdoors.  Daily or every other day vacuuming also critical including furniture.  Steam cleaning carpets regularly also very helpful.  Hard flooring and minimal carpeting is the best savior.

The dogs health and strength of immune system is also critical to flea management. Any and every dog can have a couple of fleas hop on, but healthy dogs don't get infested.  Fleas only set up shop in great numbers on compromised hosts or optimal environments - and they know a weak host when they find one. Long haired dogs that aren't bathed or groomed frequently are also good hide-outs.  Focus on building health internally and a strong dog will create a better defense.

Also, feed B vitamins and garlic to change the taste of their blood - this helps a little bit but cant' be the lone strategy.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 05:18:29 am by sc.trojans »
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Nicole

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 05:25:02 am »
s.c.

Just wanted to comment a bit on your response.

The toxic chemical thing...I don't want to start an argument, but the deal here is that animals don't have a long enough life span for this to be an issue. The effects of these chemicals would be bad for humans because we live a long time. Its an accumulation thing. Actually, the effects of HW, lymes and the like are more devastating to dogs.

I just wanted to comment on that because I don't want people to feel bad about putting Frontline and stuff on their dogs. I've taken a lot of toxicology classes and this was one thing I was always sure to look into because I had always felt bad about putting flea stuff on the pets.

Also, I think that some places just have bad flea problems no matter what you do. We have VERY sandy soil here (near the beach) and its super hard to control the fleas in it. Not to mention we're in an urban environment and the strays are hard to control, too.