Author Topic: Need Advice: how to get Butterfly used to new pups  (Read 5454 times)

Saint Butterfly

Need Advice: how to get Butterfly used to new pups
« on: June 01, 2007, 07:07:49 pm »
Hello Everyone

Yesterday my Family expanded with 2 new Bassett Hound Pups... We were oringinally getting One of them, But when we went to pick them up we saw the Runt was still there, and we could not resist...We took the Pups to a Friends house, And i showed up with Butterfly so that she could meet them... She did very well at first.. She smelled them, and they seemed to like her, and not intimidated at all by her size...We stayed at my friends for about an hour, and then we put the Pups in the Crate in the car, and butterfly rode in the car with them...When we arrived home we left the pups in the crate in the yard, and we all hung out in the yard together... After about 30 minutes we let the Pups out, and of course the children were having a great time with them... Butterflys body language seemed confused, but she did not seem defesive with them at all.... She would continue to smell them, and then walk away and lay down...I was sitting in the yard in a chair, and Butterfly walked over to me.. I was petting her on the head, and the Little runt started walking over to us... Butterfly put her big body infront of me, Simular to the way she is with the children when people come over.... I heard her make a little growl at the pup... When the little Pup touched my foot Butterfly made loud Growl at the Pup... she did not hurt it, but she did scare the Wits out of her...I corrected Butterfly, and she walked away knowing she was in trouble, and layed down...We continued to let the Pups roam for a little bit , and then back in the crate, They were very tired.. They went right to sleep... Later on in the evening we let them back out to roam, and Butterfly was fine with them, But she does not seem to comfortable... .I am hoping some of you may have some good advice to make this a simple transition.... I want to make this one Big happy Family....Any advice will be great... This is the first time Butterfly has been around a Puppy since she has been a Pup herself...... Thankyou ahead of Time

Sincerley,
Shell

Icerotti

Re: Need Advice: how to get Butterfly used to new pups
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 08:57:03 pm »
Congrats on your new babies they are soooooooooooo adorable.  I love bassett hounds.

It was great you introduced them on neutral territory. It sounds like things are going pretty good. It will just take time for Butterfly to figure out where she fits in this new pack and the puppies too.

I would say just limit the puppies time with Butterfly until she becomes more familiar with the pups. We did this with our Rotti and Vizsla. I would let them be togther for 10 -20 mins. I would do individual time with each puppy and Butterfly. Two puppies can be very overwhemling for a grown dog. Then I would take the rotti and play ball for a bit---something he loves to do.

I can't wait to see more pictures of your new babies and Butterfly  ;D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 08:57:38 pm by Icerotti »

Offline happiday

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All I ever do is SMILE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 03:27:26 am »
Oh so cute!!  What a handful of fun and cuteness!
I agree with Icerotti about limiting the time the pups spend with Butterfly, (at least for a while) and here's why:  (JMNSHO!)  Butterfly is used to being the top dog at your house, and that is the way it should remain as far as the way you treat her.  We have Grace, a golden Ret. who has been with us for all of her 6 years, and when Annie came in April, Grace needed to know that she was still 'our best girl!'.  She needed to know that we would protect her personal 'top dog' space from this new 'intruder' (in her way of thinking!)  so I was very careful to let the new dog know that she must not sleep on Grace's bed, or eat out of Grace's bowl, and Grace gets her treats first, etc.  I saved us from a LOT of fighting, I am sure.  Although Annie is an older dog, and not a pup, I think it works the same when you add new pack members.  Then, silly us, we added Timber, a 1 yr. Siberian boy, shortly after Annie came. Grace needed to know that we still love and value her as we always have. (She's very needy!)  Special walks alone, feeding the new dogs in a different area away from Grace's place, helps to make her feel like her life hasn't been totally uprooted by these new ones.  Eventually, Butterfly and the pups will work out their own pack order, but they take their cues from you.  They want to know that everything is still as it was, that you are still their pack leader, and that it's ok for these pups to join the family.  I wish you ALL the best!  Keep those cute puppy pics coming!!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 03:28:14 am by happiday »
Salli, Annie's mama!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 03:37:34 am »
Congrats on your new pups.  I've done the sibling pair of pups before and it was exhausting and fun all at the same time.  You've got some great advice from everyone.  I don't think there is too much that I can add.  Just wanted to say congrats and how cute those pups are. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience