Author Topic: Raw Foods Available - Any Opinions???  (Read 3276 times)

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Raw Foods Available - Any Opinions???
« on: June 03, 2007, 07:56:19 am »
Just wondering if any one has any opinions about the raw foods thats are available.  We have fed and are feeding Cirra Bravo, Steve's and Nature's Variety.  She is loving the organic Nature's Varety Organic Chicken patties.  She likes the Bravo lamb although will only eat the Bravo chicken and turkey frozen. I have re-frozen in ice cube trays.  The farmer's markets are just starting in our area so there are local meats available. It seems that we can get a variety however I am not sure what to ask for.  What bones are OK?  We have fed chicken bones - not the legs.  We are new to raw feeding.  Any suggestions???

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
Re: Raw Foods Available - Any Opinions???
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 05:04:12 am »

It sounds like you have made a nice entry into raw feeding and Cirra is doing well.

I personally am not a fan of Steve's.  This was the first commercial raw food on the market many years ago and hasn't evolved at all based on what we know about a dog's needs.  It is heavy on grain and ingredients that are not necessary or useful in my view as a result.

Bravo was my favorite food and I regularly endorsed it until this year.  The only reason is that they started cutting corners and made some changes to a few specific products that are less than optimal. Otherwise, still a quality product and very nice that you can control your ingredients - add your own fiber sources by just buying the meat and bone, and adding your own needed supplements. The changes they made that I do not like are adding a LOT more fat to their meat mixes - you need to watch this as you have to feed less of Bravo than other real foods or you'll likely see weight gain.  I also am unhappy with their tripe and will no longer use it since it is finished on grain fed cattle (It is not grass fed).  Many dogs do not like the slimy texture of the chicken mince - so if freezing works - great.  The beef and lamb are usually the favorites.

Nature's Variety is a good quality product - hit or miss with dogs I know. Some love it, some hate it.  It does have a lot of ingredients in it and again, the lack of control thing is a problem for most.  Many dogs do not do well on carrots for instance - or sugars or starches and NV has a lot of these. If your dog does well on it however - great.

Depending on where you are located, there are regional products that are also excellent quality. For instance, here in California, we have Halshan's and Harmony Farms. Most regions have some great products.

You can feed a variety of bones depending on what type of crusher you have there.  Poultry bones are the mainstay for most - chicken backs, chicken necks, and turkey necks. I know many who also feed lamb necks, beef ribs, whole rabbit, whole cornish game hen to name a few. Depending on where people live, there are a lot of food sources available. My girls get a lot of turkey necks and I minimize chicken in the diet because it is so mineral deficient - especially zinc and iron so be sure not to feed too much of this - less than 50% of the protein is important.

Good luck!
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 07:12:42 am »
Thanks for your suggestions.  We are in Maine.  There is a new farmer's market starting this Wednesday so I thought that Cirra and I could check it out.  It is my understanding that the folks that have the ground chicken "dog food" product will be there.  The ground chicken is - they take off the breasts and grind the rest.  The price is very reasonable so we might give it a try once in a while if Cirra likes it.  Also they will have a variety of other local "natural" chicken in all forms.  The cost of meat here is outrageous!!!  Of course we are looking for organic or "natural" when possible.  Also another local farm with a variety of meats will be there. We keep reminding ourselves - variety over time. 

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 03:49:36 am »

You are close enough to benefit from Hare Today - and I am so envious!  The shipping costs from these guys kill me on the west coast - but hands down this is the best quality dog food in the U.S.  http://www.hare-today.com/  Check them out!

Also, don't be afraid to check with local farmers as you are doing at the market....they often love to sell the parts humans don't buy - and for cheap.  Check out http://www.eatwild.com/ to look into local organic or natural farmers in your area.

A great selection can be had from both of these sources, and help you avoid feeding a lot of chicken.

Good luck!
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar