Author Topic: Finally got a breed guess  (Read 6011 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Finally got a breed guess
« on: June 12, 2007, 12:22:12 am »
Retrievers! lol Oh well, at least that's not terribly far off, well actually it is but ya know hahahha. They are actually the size of some retrievers. I just had a pest guy come to do an inspection so they got to meet him (through the crates). When I told him they were 5 mos old, I got the WHAT!!!??? Ha, that's always fun to tell people.

Yukon did his best intimidation stance with only a little bit of a gruff bark under his breath, he's such a good boy! Yiska never barks, I'm beginning to wonder if she's able to lol. The guy was scared to go over to him and he asked me if he could, I had to actually think a second and say, yeah..I think so lol..what am I thinking, he's a teddy bear! But he's that good at keeping people away already, that he even made ME wonder for a second. Aww, my big scary puppy. :D :P

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Finally got a breed guess
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 01:14:43 am »
Retriever?  I wonder if he was thinking Golden or Labrador.  I've gotten the Golden or Golden mix guess many times, but I wonder how anyone would guess Lab with their longer coat. 

What good puppies!  It sounds like Yukon was just letting the pest guy know to behave himself b/c he's on duty just in case his momma needs protection.  Wow, a quiet Pyr?  Do you know what many people would do for a quiet Pyr?  LOL  ;D  Yiska's probably worth a mint to all the Pyr people that have big barkers.  I bet that she'd bark too though if Yukon wasn't handling it.  She probably figures that she'll chime in if/when necessary.  What cuties!  ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 02:32:52 am »
Retriever?  I wonder if he was thinking Golden or Labrador.  I've gotten the Golden or Golden mix guess many times, but I wonder how anyone would guess Lab with their longer coat. 

What good puppies!  It sounds like Yukon was just letting the pest guy know to behave himself b/c he's on duty just in case his momma needs protection.  Wow, a quiet Pyr?  Do you know what many people would do for a quiet Pyr?  LOL  ;D  Yiska's probably worth a mint to all the Pyr people that have big barkers.  I bet that she'd bark too though if Yukon wasn't handling it.  She probably figures that she'll chime in if/when necessary.  What cuties!  ;D

Yes I'm sure she would be lol. I don't ever hear her bark honestly ..actually the only time I've heard her bark is at Yukon when they are playing and wrestling. He only barks when it's neccessary and thank God for that. As soon as I let him outside, he runs out the door barking if he sees someone or if it's dark he runs out barking. But then he stops, I guess he's just making his presence known.

Yiska's probably the perfect dog (well if your idea of perfect is just a huge ball of fur that likes to be petted and doesn't do much else ;D), honestly. I'll have to video her one of these days, you'd think she was on some xanax or something. I've never met a dog as relaxed and laid back as her, and at 5 months old??? She won't even come out of her crate when I open the door unless I tell her to and go over to there with her. She's a hoot.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 02:33:27 am by mama2many »

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 05:09:21 am »
Wow, that's great that Yukon only barks for a moment and then stops and Yiska is so quiet.  Our first Pyr would bark just to entertain herself.  ::)  I worked my tush off keeping her quiet for 12 years.  She was a wonderful dog, but she came from working (as well as dog show) bloodlines and I guess that it was just in her genes.  We worked with her so many different ways trying to control the barking, but the only thing that really worked was to keep her in the house most of the time.  Fortunately, she was great in the house, so it worked out.  We laughed that if she heard a butterfly 3 blocks away that she'd give an "on duty" bark.  So you can see why I think that Yukon & Yiska sound so darn perfect!   ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 06:05:54 am »
lol. Yes I was scared of the barking issue before I got them because I read a lot about them and their tendency to bark. Apparently some are just real barkers and some not as bad. I've heard of the ones that bark at leaves and you name it. He only barks inside when he needs something in his crate, he's a great boy. When he does bark outside I know there is a reason, so that is nice. They are from working lines as well, no prissy show dogs in their background haaaaaaaa. ;) I just got lucky with them I think. :)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 09:43:44 am »
Loved the post-- Mine dont leave the property a lot so I dont have to explain what they are- also out here where I live, Pyrs are a way of life for so many. At the vets office on Tuesday, there were 4 of them including Zoey.
Tuggles is becoming a big dog. He prefers to be outside 24 hours a day, he is now throwing a fit when I put him in his kennel for nite nite (thats the word that you have to use to get him in the kennel) I finally gave up last nite after 12:30 and just let him out- sleep was a necessity- and he did great- curled up near the couch and slept all nite. I am having to sleep on the couch right now so that I can be closer to Zoey at nite.
All of mine bark- a lot, and its nice that I dont have to discourage it too often. And DIG- now that is a problem because they are digging right off of the drive way pad and I keep sinking my truck in the holes when I back off of the pad to turn the truck around. I think that mine are just ordinary Pyrs- I know for a fact that Zoey and Tuggles were born out in the goat barn- so no fancy pedigrees with them either- and thats ok.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 10:14:10 am »
Loved the post-- Mine dont leave the property a lot so I dont have to explain what they are- also out here where I live, Pyrs are a way of life for so many. At the vets office on Tuesday, there were 4 of them including Zoey.
Tuggles is becoming a big dog. He prefers to be outside 24 hours a day, he is now throwing a fit when I put him in his kennel for nite nite (thats the word that you have to use to get him in the kennel) I finally gave up last nite after 12:30 and just let him out- sleep was a necessity- and he did great- curled up near the couch and slept all nite. I am having to sleep on the couch right now so that I can be closer to Zoey at nite.
All of mine bark- a lot, and its nice that I dont have to discourage it too often. And DIG- now that is a problem because they are digging right off of the drive way pad and I keep sinking my truck in the holes when I back off of the pad to turn the truck around. I think that mine are just ordinary Pyrs- I know for a fact that Zoey and Tuggles were born out in the goat barn- so no fancy pedigrees with them either- and thats ok.

Haha, yes if Yiska is unusually quiet, she makes up for it in her digging obsession. ;D I don't know if you saw my digging post with pics hahahah. The yard is just terrible! But I plan to redo it so they can keep on destroying it for now, what am I gonna do. I'm so glad Tug did well sleeping out of his crate! I can't wait for that day but for now I'll have to. I have no idea what they would do. I'm guessing just find a place to sleep, probably on the tile and only get up when they hear noises (VERY interested in any noise). But I'm too scared someone will pee somewhere, that's the last thing I need right now.

Yes Yukon is so big too, tonight he tried to run and romp onto my daughters bed where we were sitting and didn't quite make it lol..I thought good lord boy, I know you are a baby but you just can't act like one! Gotta watch him or he'll crush somebody. :D

I'd love to see Pyrs out here. I've yet to meet one other than mine haha.