Author Topic: Bully sticks  (Read 13044 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Bully sticks
« on: June 14, 2007, 08:40:26 am »
are making my dogs crazy!!!! I broke down and got a pack today, I love the dogs what can I say..I put away my grossed out feelings haha. I just let them out and gave them each one and they are romping around, going nuts with them and boy do they STINK. Woooooooooeeee eeeeee..I keep telling them to stop jumping around with them and filling the air with stink lol.

We'll have to see how long they last..they love their bones but they can destroy them so fast, even the huge knuckles and then seem to be pretty done with them. It's just funny to see them this excited over something. :P ::)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Bully sticks
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 08:57:59 am »
I know the feeling.  :-\  I wouldn't give our dogs bully sticks until Cassie arrived either.  Something about having 3 sons & 1 husband in the house...  I thought that bully sticks were gross & I didn't think that all the guys around here could deal with it.  ;)  :)  Anyway, then Miss Cassie arrived with a bully stick and she loved it so much that I couldn't deprive her of it, either.  They do stink and they are rather gross (IMO), but the dogs absolutely love them.  I figure that dogs have to live in our houses, with all of our silly human rules (no counter & table surfing, no chewing the furniture, no peeing or worse on the floor, etc.), so the least I can do is provide the occasional dried out, disembodied bull p----.  LOL!  I'm glad that the puppies are having a good time!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 09:00:48 am »
Yeah I'm totally grosse out and hubby won't stop being very vulgar about them ha! Yukon started getting in my face so he had to go back to bed with his stick and he's not happy about it lol. Yiska is leaving me alone with hers. I'm so mean but yuck, he can have it just not want to give me kisses afterwards hahah.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 09:06:37 am »
I'm so mean but yuck, he can have it just not want to give me kisses afterwards hahah.

I can't blame you a bit!!!  ::)  Tee hee
Marie

And my pups:

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 09:15:08 am »
Ours love bullys too---they only get them once in a blue moon...lol
I made the mistake of letting Rosie have one in the truck..OMG ..I swear I still gets wiffs of that stinky thing...lol

Saint Butterfly

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 08:28:46 pm »
I am curious... I have heard a few people on here mention Bully sticks before... What are they?

Shell

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 02:14:34 am »
You guys might want to check out this site ...

http://www.bullysticksonline.com/servlet/the-Free-Range-ODOR-dsh-FREE-Bully-Sticks/Categories

They sell free range odor-free bully sticks.  Its a little pricier than going to the store, but they're sold in bulk, so they last a while.  I've ordered the bully springs from there before and they are GREAT!  They seem to last longer than the regular sticks, and really don't smell bad.

Thanks Jenn, I'll check them out!
Marie

And my pups:

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 04:37:30 am »
I was IM'ing my mom last night and told her what the pups were having. ;D Umm..wouldn't you believe she actually (seriously) told me to be careful they don't go after live ones since they've gotten a taste for it..and to not let my little boy run around naked when they're out. Umm..I laughed, thinking it was a funny joke but she was very serious. I said mom, it's not a human part, they don't go after our knees just cause they chomp on those bones. :P..she's like don't underestimate hormones. Oh man, but my mom is a different story. ::) ::)

Yukon ate half his bully stick rather quickly last night..I don't know where they are now..hopefully they lost them under their crate somewhere lol.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 05:06:43 am »
Kristina, I'm LMAO here!  Thanks, I needed that! 

Julie, yep...I'm not crazy about them either.  Our dogs get them for an occasional treat b/c they love them so much, but they do just seem so wrong somehow, don't they?  LOL
Marie

And my pups:

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 05:20:27 am »
U know, bully Sticks... sounded like an awesome idea for Zero when i first seen them. and then realized they were "wee wee's" Zero really enjoys them, as does Memphis, but, i dont buy them often. they dont repulse me, they just dont last long in this house rofl
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 01:01:23 am »
Once you get over the gross factor you can have so much fun with the people that don't know what they are though.I have an Aunt who is a little uppity.Well when they got their new puppy I took one with the new puppy care package and when she was holding it I told her what it was,dang you would of thought it bit her as fast as she dropped it ;D Butt and Tub love them and have them all over the house,it's cool when someone grabs one to play fetch with them to tell them what they are.I know I'm warped,but when you hradly ever leave the house you have to find away to amuse yourself :D
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 11:31:11 pm »
I was IM'ing my mom last night and told her what the pups were having. ;D Umm..wouldn't you believe she actually (seriously) told me to be careful they don't go after live ones since they've gotten a taste for it..and to not let my little boy run around naked when they're out. Umm..I laughed, thinking it was a funny joke but she was very serious. I said mom, it's not a human part, they don't go after our knees just cause they chomp on those bones. :P..she's like don't underestimate hormones. Oh man, but my mom is a different story. ::) ::)

Yukon ate half his bully stick rather quickly last night..I don't know where they are now..hopefully they lost them under their crate somewhere lol.

Moms are a hoot. I will occasionally give my guys raw meat scraps when I am making dinner, and my Mom was horrified. Didn't I know that once dogs get a taste of blood that they go crazy and will turn on their owners? That if anyone with "monthlies" (sorry gentlemen) comes in the house they can be attacked with no warning because of the smell of blood? Where do they get this claptrap??
I think your mom and mine should get together for dinner and bowling or something. They sound like they would get along great.
Stella

LOL!

Offline DoDadsandDanes

• Ankle Biter
  • every time a bell rings, an angels gets its wings
    • View Profile
    • MySpace.com/dodadsandchotskiestuff
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 11:58:31 pm »
AAHH YESS...the amazingly putrid aroma of a bully stick...can only be topped by a half eaten, slobbered mess of bully blob...

Since they are fantastic at complete distraction, when my two 14 yr olds wanted a birthday party and had over thirty kids coming in and out of the house I knew it would do the trick..however I spent half the night apologizing to the parents as they dropped off and picked up because the stench was so obvious when entering the house...
Lisa
Maggie 11 mo Dane
Faye 3 mo Dane
Disclaimer: If this post includes anything resembling advice, please note that it most likely has been borrowed from someone more knowledgeable than myself..

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
Bully sticks (Think Caddyshack!)
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 12:18:42 am »
Hello Everyone!

Hope all of you & yours, (pups included) are doing well!  Our Newfies are huge fans of Bully sticks too.  They seem to last a great deal longer, no pun intended but, our guys & girls seem to be interested in them even after the 1st day or 2.  The funniest was yesterday we had some friends over & they brought their 2 lab pups with them.  The one male lab discovered a bully stick that was in the house & had a field day!  Our friends at first had no idea what he was chewing on and went I went to check his mouth, I said, oh it's ok, it's a bully stick!  Well when I told them what it was they laughed so hard  & couldn't believe it!  After they left I went out to skim the pool from all the 4 legged swimmers & found one floating away in the deep end!  It was like something out of Caddyshack!  Boy did that thing swell!  A good time & hardy laughs were had by all!

Anita & the 4 Newfies from NJ
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 01:06:48 am by pitas »

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 09:20:45 pm »
I read this thread awhile back and completely forgot to reply to it.  Shiner and Kaila are laying behind me chewing on their bully sticks as I type this.  I've never noticed a smell with the ones that I buy at all.  I can say that feeding them out to them doesn't bother me at all.  I will admit that last year at the Houston Dog Show they had a vendor that had pig snouts and that kind of weirded me out but this year I'm going to look for that vendor and buy some just to see what my dogs do with them.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience