Author Topic: THIS is why i wanted to take the dogs w/ me!  (Read 3217 times)

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
THIS is why i wanted to take the dogs w/ me!
« on: June 09, 2007, 03:59:56 am »
I went to girls camp this past week and left the boys in the care of my family. My mom and step-dad were going to be coming up for two days of the camp and my sister was going to go watch some kids for a couple days, so there was a over lap when the dogs would all be home alone, for a full day, over night and half of the next day. well, i wasn't too concerned about it, i told Sara to leave Sky and Bailey outside w/ water and leave sammie loose in the house and pray he could hold it. Well, then my step-dad decides the 10 pounds of food left won't last 2 dogs a week.  ??? So he goes to the feed store and buys the Diamond Adult MAINTENANCE not the Diamond Senior Premium. But then, he thought that the tub w/ the senior food in it was cat food  ??? and so he plopped the maint in w/ the blue buffalo puppy food, and fed that to Sky and kept Sammie and Bailey on their regular food. Sky already has a sensitive stomach and swiching foods is VERY touchy, and of course Sara left Sky in his crate (for almost 2 days). needless to say he had a HUGE booty blow out and there was diareah everywhere. THEN my mom gets home and leaves him loose in the house w/o watching him, and he gets into my energy pills.  :-[ I came home to a poop covered puppy w/ the jitters. I called the poisen control center and they said that the pills would give him A LOT of energy, but since i take all natural, gentle energy pills (no caffine) he'd be fine. Phew!

He's back on his regular food and his poops are almost back to normal. He's also back on HIS supplements and OFF MINE!

Sorry if this makes no sense at all, and sorry for the length.
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline happiday

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All I ever do is SMILE!
    • View Profile
Re: THIS is why i wanted to take the dogs w/ me!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 04:12:39 am »
Oh my!  What a mess to come home to!  I'm so sorry you had to deal with all that.  Did you have a good time at camp?
Salli, Annie's mama!

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 04:18:18 am »
Oh yeah, it was messy. Actually i was worrying about the dogs the whole time!
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 05:51:25 pm »
Oh My! I would be a little upset over all that. Glad to hear that Sky is ok even after all that change.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 04:38:05 am »
oh you poor thing- I can totally relate to the stressing out about leaving them- I just dont do it anymore unless I have to and thats only to work and do errands etc- I had left Zoey in my daughters care and now we have had an emergency surgery and I am having to hire some one to baby sit next week. On the bright side- At least you didnt have a Roomba programmed to clean while you were away....

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 09:06:15 pm »
Now that we have a [spoiled] Newf, leaving for trips that she can't come along for now requires some extra 'packing' steps. Anytime she's in someone else's care (a dogsitter or a kennel), we package each of her meals including supplements and vitamins in a ziploc bag and label each one clearly so they know she gets fed twice a day. We also have the most detailed 'Care Sheet' that people probably laugh at since we detail each little thing in there: like keeping her bowl full at all times (since she's had some UTI problems in the past), letting her out at least 4 times a day. She basically has her own 'suitcase' too, with all of her 'stuff' (food, leash, treats, chewbones). It's an involved process but it helps assure us that whoever we leave her with knows everything.
Rosie - Newfoundland