Author Topic: Landlords!!!!!  (Read 4627 times)

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Landlords!!!!!
« on: June 14, 2007, 09:03:16 am »
I am renting a home and we are thinking about moving to another home which is down the road and is bigger with the same amount for rent!!!!!  The only thing is that the new landlord said NO inside dogs only "yard" dogs. Everyone is telling me that i should just leave the dogs outside all day and just bring them in at night right before I go to bed cause my landlord isnt going to come by that late.  But i dont know should I stay in the smaller,older home because I can have my dogs in the house or should I go to the newer,bigger home that makes them stay outside?  And also should I sneak them in at night so that way they can at least sleep inside?  Help Me!!! :'(   
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Icerotti

Re: Landlords!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 09:12:40 am »
I have to agree with Tina--legally it could be a big mess if he found out  the dogs are inside.

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 09:20:44 am »
Well i did'nt want to break the rules.  That is just what everyone else has said to me.  But would I be a cruel mama for making them be outside, even though they are outside most of the time, but they have never slept outside.  we do need a bigger house and it does have a bigger backyard but is it worth my babies having to be outside like that?

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 09:26:54 am »
Boy, I wouldn't risk it.  We are landlords and prospective tenants always tell us that their pets are only outdoors, but our policy is that if we rent to them that the pets are welcome indoors b/c not only are we pet-friendly (no surprise, right?) but we are pragmatic and we know that many people will have their pets indoors whether we agree to it or not.  That being said, landlord/tenant laws vary from county to county and in some areas a landlord could evict you if they determine that a pet has been in the house, so that's why I'd be afraid to risk it.  Have you considered asking the landlord if they'd possibly reconsider if they met you & your pets and if invite them into your current home to see for themselves that the pets haven't left pet stains, chewed walls, or other obvious damage?  I hope that this works out for you!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 09:28:15 am »
Well I'd say it's not fair, no. What if it doesn't work out for them to be outside all day. They can't be outside in all weather even. It would be too tempting to bring them in like normal I would think. I see that being trouble too. I know how hard it is to not be allowed to have animals. In all my apartments and a condo that I lived in I wasn't allowed to have my cats and I snuck them anyway. Cats are much easier to hide though..well not when they're in the windows lol, but luckily my landlord lived a ways away and never came there. It was always a concern and I always had an anxiety about it and that was no fun. :-\

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 09:51:47 am »
ok that is the way I feel.  My fiance keeps telling me "Amber they are dogs and they do love to be outside" which is true but they also love to come in and lay on their dog beds and sleep and if it is raining they like to stay inside.  I also feel like it would be kind of cruel because they have really never been outside for a whole day unless we are with them.  But he really wants this house because we are getting married in 3 weeks  and it is alot nicer than what we have now. 

And also the landlord did say that the only reason he didnt let ppl have pets in the house is how much they destroyed the property before and how even if he does charge them to fix it that he still is the one having to do the work which I do understand.  I dont know I guess the only thing I can do is go see the house on sunday and just take it from there.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 10:07:35 am »
Have you considered asking the landlord if they'd possibly reconsider if they met you & your pets and if invite them into your current home to see for themselves that the pets haven't left pet stains, chewed walls, or other obvious damage? I hope that this works out for you!

I agree.  I think you should go look, tell him you understand his concerns, and ask if he would be willing to talk to your current landlord and ask if there would be anything else that would reassure him at all.  I wouldn't risk it because you could be without a home and out a lot of money.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 10:19:42 am »
I can see your dilemma, but I have to agree with Kristina.  Our dogs do love to be outside too, but they would be devastated if we couldn't let them inside again.  Dogs are pack animals and we are part of their pack, so to be seperated from their pack would make them feel sort of like we'd feel if we were banished (IMO).  Maybe others would disagree, but that's how I see it (and the main reason that we allow pets into our rentals).  Also, what would you do if one of them needed to be confined due to a health problem, or panics b/c of lightening or fireworks?  Ours can't handle those noises, so this is just a couple of thoughts.  I'm sure that there are other landlords out there that would allow your dogs inside the home.  Maybe you could find a more pet friendly property on rentclicks.com, rentalhouses.c om or craigs list.  

Oh and BTW, any problems that we've had as landlords have been due to humans, not the pets.  ;)  :)  So I'd really encourage you to either keep looking or try to persuade that landlord to come over and see for himself.

Modified to add: navarre1316 makes a really good point.  Is there something else that you could do to change his mind?  Maybe if you offer a hefty pet deposit in combo with the other ideas he might reconsider.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 10:23:21 am by GoldenPyrs »
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 11:03:51 am »
I feel the same the only thing is we really like the community we livein so I would more like to probably stay in the house we are in now for the simple fact that we have no kids(except for our dogs of course) soon to be married and going to school for dental hygenist so after that we can have whatever house we want with as many dogs as I would like.  So should I just go look at it and see if I can persuade different and if I cant then just dont worry about it cause it isnt worth it     

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 11:45:39 am »
I wouldn't move. I own my home, so it's a moot point for me, but I wouldn't move to a place where someone was forcing me to keep my dogs outside. I think you should do as you said-check it out, try to persuade them, and if it doesn't work, move on. If you're bent on moving, some place else will come up.

Offline Bernertomboi

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 02:25:26 pm »
I wouldn't move, even if you were able to sneak them in at night there is always the fear of eviction.  I didn't have our puppy at the time, but had two cats and had to keep them out of the windows because we were afraid of getting evicted.  We lived in a no pet apartment.

It wasn't fair to the boys, they were accustomed to things being a certain way and being able to run the house, but we put so many new restrictions on them.  We ended up deciding to buy a house that is the same every month as our rent and are much happier as are the boys.  We also were able to get a dog.  If you can hold out where you are now I would and then when you are able to buy and live without restrictions.

If the place is nice talk to the landlord and see if you can work out a contract that says that you will higher someone to come in and repair any damage and it will be out of your pocket.  He may be willing to allow them to be inside.  Questions are free.  See if he would be willing to work with you on it.

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 09:12:11 pm »
Thanks everyone for answering my questions.  I talked to my fiance last night and I think we have come to an agreement that we are going to at least look at the house but I told him that if he absolutly said NO to everything i ask then I will just stay at my house now.  The only thing is my old landlord is a very old man and has just turned over ownership to his son(which I found out last night)he isnt very big on dogs but wont do anything about ours so any future renters he wont allow to have dogs.