Author Topic: Funny looking puppy!  (Read 5528 times)

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
Funny looking puppy!
« on: June 19, 2007, 02:02:29 am »
 ;D
Hi there - this is my first post to this board. I have a question for the experts! I got a puppy for mother's day - an adorable Berner/Aussie mix. I wouldn't have believed the mixture if I hadn't seen the littermates with the Berner markings - mine is all black with a little white patch on his chest. He's the cutest thing ever, and so sweet. Impressively obedient for a 12 week old pup, too! He has gained 8 pounds in the four weeks that we've had him (we got him at 8 weeks and he was 6 pounds). At that time he was SHORT and very round and fat. Over the weeks, his body has lengthened and thickened, his paws have become way big and his tail is very long (it tickles his ribs when he wags it). Here is my rather silly question - are his legs still supposed to be so short? He is starting to look like a funny short eared basset hound! My husband said that it's normal puppy development - if his legs were longer, he wouldn't be able to reach his food and water bowl. Still, it seems funny to me that his body had lengthened and thickened and his legs are still all stumpy. Once you all stop laughing at my post, please feel free to respond and ressure me that my dog is not a freak! Thanks!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Icerotti

Re: Funny looking puppy!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 02:14:45 am »
Welcome to BPO and congrats on your new puppy. It sounds like your puppy is growing just right. I have found with some puppies we have had they get long then they will start to grow up and they look out of balance for a few months...lol

We need to see some pictures of this new baby  ;)

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 02:16:47 am »
 welcome to the board, your puppy sounds 2 cute, and normal by the way. love to see some pics of him!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 03:00:15 am »
welcome to big paws! Your baby sounds like a total cutie. can't wait for pics.
And, no, your pup is not a freak. you should see the bull terriers as they are growing. they get so awkward its not even funny. front end lower than the back end, back end lower, its just weird hahha
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 03:41:56 am »
There shouldn't be anything to worry about. Puppies often look awkward when they start losing their puppy traits and grow into adolescents. Things sometimes grow disproportiona tely. They're cute nonetheless!
Rosie - Newfoundland