Author Topic: General Food Question from the Newbie!!  (Read 5715 times)

Offline IheartBIGDogs25

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
General Food Question from the Newbie!!
« on: June 23, 2007, 06:47:07 am »
Hi everyone! My biggest concern with getting a giant breed puppy has got to be the feeding. I am afraid I'm going to pick the wrong puppy/dog food and not feed my puppy enough( I heard somewhere you were supposed to feed giant breeds like saints and danes about 5 times a day is that true?) Any suggestions for the newbie??? ???

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: General Food Question from the Newbie!!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 06:55:32 am »
Important Information:
* Same Innova ''Fresh-From-The-Five-Food-Group'' blend of ingredients
* Specifically formulated for the Large and Giant Puppy
* Precisely controlled levels of calcium to phosphorus
* Appropriate ratio of Protein to Fat
* Omega 3 Fatty Acids from both Fish Oil and Flaxseed
* Added Naturally Occurring Microorganisms
* So Complete and Balanced that supplementatio n is discouraged
* For Large Breed Puppies from 8 weeks to 2 years old 

Ingredients:
Turkey, Chicken, Chicken Meal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Potatoes, Rice, Chicken Fat, Natural Flavors, Flaxseed Meal, Herring Oil, Sunflower Oil, Apples, Carrots, Cottage Cheese, Alfalfa Sprouts, Egg, Garlic, Taurine, Chicory Root Extract, Rosemary Extract, Vitamins/Minerals, Viable Naturally Occurring Microorganisms 

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Crude Protein (min)  24 
Crude Fat (min)  12 
Moisture (max)  10 
Crude Fiber (max)  4 

Extra Information:
A balanced blend of fatty acids from ingredients like chicken fat, flaxseed meal, herring oil and sunflower oil are added to provide appropriate levels of important fatty acids specific to the needs of the large breed's demanding skin and coat. Whole grains and fresh vegetables round-out the ingredients used to bring nutritional balance to Innova Large Breed Puppy Food and good health to your large or giant puppy. 

Innova Large Breed Puppy Food Dry
Large breed puppies differ from small breed puppies in several ways: size, growth rate, skeletal development, just to name a few. In turn, they require a different dietary approach than small breed puppies. Innova Large Breed Puppy Food is specially formulated to support proper growth without allowing the large breed puppy to grow too quickly
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 06:57:09 am »
Innova seems to be a very popular large breed brand around here. above is some info as to what's in the large breed puppy food
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 08:54:05 am »
Oh my, that's a lot..I think those generalization s don't work out for most dogs. If I fed my pups like that, firstly..they'd never eat it, and secondly if they did they'd be huge and round lol. I'm sure you've got great info up there to read over. I feed mine twice a day and they've done fine, they definitely don't need more food..yikes! The last couple weeks in fact, they barely touch their meals..so I guess they've reached a slowing point in their growth for now, but they just hit 6 mos too.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 08:56:24 am by mama2many »

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 09:06:49 am »
I fed Gweck 3 times a day and I really think that's best too. To take a puppy who is used to nursing on a regular basis (JUST LIKE A CHILD) to 2 meals a day is not good. I have a job and have been able to feed Gweck 3 times a day. They are very similar to children, they need multiple meals/day.

Was that meant for me? Cause my dogs would never eat that much, and they've certainly never been underfed! Twice a day has worked great for us anyway. I'm sure all dogs need something different, just like babies need more or less.

Offline IheartBIGDogs25

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 09:13:53 am »
Thanks so much everyone for you input! I really appreciate it!  ;D

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 09:22:32 am »
I fed Gweck 3 times a day and I really think that's best too. To take a puppy who is used to nursing on a regular basis (JUST LIKE A CHILD) to 2 meals a day is not good. I have a job and have been able to feed Gweck 3 times a day. They are very similar to children, they need multiple meals/day.

Was that meant for me? Cause my dogs would never eat that much, and they've certainly never been underfed! Twice a day has worked great for us anyway. I'm sure all dogs need something different, just like babies need more or less.

What I'm sure Julie means is that puppies need to eat more meals, not more food.  It's better for lots of reasons to feed puppies three or more times per day, but they would eat the same total amount of food per day (e.g., three meals of 1 cup each instead of 2 meals of 1.5 cups). 

Yeah, possibly so. I guess it depends on their eating habits, mine didn't go through a very long period of scarfing down food, they seem to ration it out themselves when I give them their full amount at each meal. I'm sure some dogs would overeat but mine seem to know what they need. Recently though, they leave almost the whole bowl after their morning meal and if I forget to take it up, they won't touch it the rest of the afternoon .. who knows!

I just know that my dogs are very healthy despite not eating 3 or more times a day, but they are also extremely low energy dogs..so it's not like they burn off everything they eat..they don't do much of anything lol. I wouldn't tell people to just feed their puppy twice a day, not at all..but they've just always seem to do well with it..it took them a long time to even seem interested in food. Puppies I've had in the past definitely have eaten more often though.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 09:23:09 am by mama2many »

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 09:44:39 am »
I do 2-3 times/day until 6 mos old after then 2 times/day. I really try for 3 times/day untile 6 mos, but depending on treats given I take a meal away 2 times/a day is completely fine though, they still grow.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 10:01:45 am »
I think whatever you find works best for your schedule and your puppy will be fine.  I have had puppies that I've free fed and puppies that I've fed 2x day.  Mainly because I work farther away from home so I can't come home during the day and give a 3rd meal.  They always did well and I never had any problems.  As for the amount I always just go by how much the puppy eats and not by the feeding chart on the bag.  Hope that helps some.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience