Author Topic: Taking Lola to the vet today...  (Read 9563 times)

Lyn

Taking Lola to the vet today...
« on: June 29, 2007, 12:11:16 am »
This should be fun.. not LOL :D

Funny thing is I rescheduled Lola's appointment for today at 3:15pm because hubby was suppose to be home by noon. Well go figure he calls me and says he won't be home now until 5ish. UGH!

I get really nervous taking Lola anywhere there will be other dogs. I've seen her fear/dog aggression first hand and it was downright scary. We have been working with her and got her to the point where she's fine to see another dog as long as it does not approach her.

My fear isn't so much being able to control her, it's the people that don't control their dogs and allow them to charge up to her. Everytime I've been in there with her there is always someone who says "oh my dog's friendly with other dogs" while it's running up to Lola.. Yeah well mine's not. ::) I wish she was.. but's she's not. :( (BTW I HATE those damn flexi leashes!)

I can train her to tolerate them, but I can't make her like them. Unfortunately there will be no BPO meet and greet in her future. :(

OH and I put Bubba's gentle leader on Lola with no fuss from her at all. We even went for a walk lastnight with it on. So she will be wearing it today.

I'll let you all know how it goes. Hopefully it will be an uneventful stress free visit. *sigh*

Lyn

Re: Taking Lola to the vet today...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 12:28:16 am »
A little off topic.. but I don't think I've mentioned this..  We 'think' her issues stem from being isolated for the first 8 weeks of her life by the 'breeder'. Socialize with noone. Then she was purchased by my friends neighbour and beat for pottying on the floor. When she was 10 weeks old the neighbour asked us if we wanted her because she had apparently lost her job and couldn't afford her. But I found out later that she was just fed up trying to housetrain her. ::) She also restricted her access to water, which is why to this day she will not leave any water in her bowl. :'( That's where the food/water aggression comes into play. UGH

Sorry I'm just in the venting mood.. I think I definitely titled this post wrong. LOL I was planning on talking about her vet visit and branched off into this instead. haahahaha
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 12:29:12 am by Lyn »

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 12:33:49 am »
If I was closer I would help,Lola sounds like Butt with other dogs.Since he isn't fond of other dogs when he goes to the Vet I leave him in the car until it is his turn and they clear the waiting room for him to come in.And so no one worries, I always leave the car running with either the ac or heat on depending on the time of year and Butt is not going to let anyone in there ;)
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 12:52:06 am »
Good luck with the vet visit.  I always try and sit as far away from people as I can get at the vet's office just in case there are any issues with other dogs.  I also try and go first thing in the morning when most people are headed to work.  I've also walked my dogs outside the vet clinic until one of the rooms opened up for our appointment. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 12:57:24 am »
Good luck at the vet.  Hope  everything goes somethly
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 01:47:56 am »
Maybe you an leave her in the car with the AC running and go in to let them know you are here, explain her "issues" and ask if there is some room or kennel you can sit with her until the vet is ready to see her. I'm sure they will appreciate you being up front and trying to avoid any situations.

Good Luck. She sure is a beauty!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 01:52:24 am »
Good luck at the vet today Lola - I can see why doggies want to be your friend you are TOOOOooooo cute!!

I hope all goes well for you; I have the opposite problem Harley is to friendly (Harley the happy humper) and thinks all dogs should be his friend so when we go to the vet and its time to pay I explain that I need to put him in the car and come back in and pay - by the way I hate flexi leashes also!!

Randy & Harley

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 02:19:01 am »
Good luck at the vets. That has to be stressful. And btw I just love those people who approach you with their dogs and say he's friendly. It's not for nothing I'm standing in a corner on my own away from everyone. And the breeder should be isolated for 8 weeks and the the other owner should be beat for doing that to a dog. Sorry for venting but I hate to hear stuff like that. Hope it goes well.

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 02:32:27 am »
Lyn, I can relate to your frustrations with Lola. Somehow in the first 10 weeks of Bella's life at the Breeders, she was restricted access to food and treats. Luckily she seems ok with water. I wish I knew what went on; if it was the breeder or the other pups. I sadly suspect it had something to do with the breeder allowing her young boys to manage the feeding times for the litter. Bella never seems worried about other animals around food, but TERRIFIED and THREATENED around people (especially around my young boys OF COURSE!). I don't know if they teased them, moving the bowl around, or had favorite puppies who got more food, better food, or what. Anyway, she is improving but I know things will never be perfect. I will always have to give her treats like bones when I know tat no one else is going to be around that day or evening (including my boys).

Anyway, good luck at the vet. I sympathize with you! I know how frustrating it can be dealing with an aggression issue that came from the past. Hope it goes well. I sure wish Bella was as good on the leader as Lola! ;)

Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Lyn

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 05:54:20 am »
I didn't get a chance to update yesterday.. but everything went fine. I was stressing over nothing. :-[

The clinic was packed and there were 2 dogs in particular that I know for a fact would have set Lola off. They were on long leashes and barking/whining. Plus they were blocking the front entrance. I wasn't about to try and walk past them. So I left Lola in the truck with the AC and watched her from the window. When they called us in I took her in through the side door. We did pass one dog and no reaction from Lola! YAY!

Also she slipped out of the gentle leader in the truck while I was in the waiting room. So I said heck with it and attached the leash to her regular collar and wouldn't you know it she walked perfectly fine. LOL

I weighed her too and she's 112.5 pounds. So my scale is way off since I got 126 the last time I weighed her here.

When I was walking her in there was a lady with her son and their little bassett hound. The boy was about 9 or 10 and as soon as he saw Lola he said "Holy S---" and his mother slapped him in the back of the head and told him to watch his mouth. LMAO  :D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 05:56:06 am by Lyn »

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 08:40:09 pm »
That must make you feel very proud of your girl. And a big relief for you that you had no problems. Sometimes I think we stress for nothing....LOL

Offline Ice Blue

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 11:10:31 pm »
I'm happy everything went well for Lola at the vet! Comic relief if the best medicine for stress! At my vet there is plenty of comical things to go around, most clinic have animals right? Well my vet not only has a cat, but a HUGE pot belly pig named Rosy! lol She's always good for a laugh, considering she and the cat work as a team to get into the food! She also does tricks, shes so cute!!! I'll have to get a picture next time I'm in there!
Caitlin

Remy - German Shepherd (7 mths)
Copper - Shetland Sheepdog (14 yrs)
Birch - Lizard (Mali Uromastyx)

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 11:41:19 pm »
that's great, good for lola! once in a while every thing does work out the way we'd like. it's rare but it's nice  ;D
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 11:57:25 pm »
Glad to hear Lolas vet visit went well. depending on the situation, and how busy the vets is, i will sneak zero thru the back door. lol. some times he has issues, other times, hes fine. so i see where u stress...
also, i too had those darn flexi-leashes... people who think that its OK to just let their dog have roam... go sniff other dogs, etc. i especially hate it when people are walking down the street, their dog at full extend. going around a corner of a building,to another street where i just happen to be walking my dogs... then the owners get mad at ME because MY BIG DOG was too close to their stupid little thing... lol i hate that
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 01:03:44 am »
Glad to hear Lolas vet visit went well. depending on the situation, and how busy the vets is, i will sneak zero thru the back door. lol. some times he has issues, other times, hes fine. so i see where u stress...
also, i too had those darn flexi-leashes... people who think that its OK to just let their dog have roam... go sniff other dogs, etc. i especially hate it when people are walking down the street, their dog at full extend. going around a corner of a building,to another street where i just happen to be walking my dogs... then the owners get mad at ME because MY BIG DOG was too close to their stupid little thing... lol i hate that

and of course all big dogs are instantly stereotyped as vicious and mean, when infact the only way most of them could ever hurt a little paw is if they inadvertantly sniffed at them too close causing the little paw to blow away...haha
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown