Author Topic: speaking of guessing the size a new pup will be...  (Read 6049 times)

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
speaking of guessing the size a new pup will be...
« on: June 30, 2007, 08:19:02 pm »
I've heard "double the weight at 4 months" and I've heard "double the weight at 6 months" and all kinds of other "formulas". In anyone's actual experience, is there any truth to it, or is it all just a matter of being patient and waiting to see what your pup turns into? I've heard that pups whelped by humans (bottle fed) don't get as big, and I've heard that pups altered before a certain age (especially the boys) don't get as big. Just wondered what was true and what was just jibber jabber.....Koj i (berner/aussie mix) is 14 weeks today and weighs about 18 pounds. His feet are gigantic and his tail is like 10 feet long, but his legs are still a bit stumpy. He was a bottle baby, and he's not neutered yet.
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
Re: speaking of guessing the size a new pup will be...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 08:32:42 pm »
well...if it is 6 months...Morga yne is going to be 110 pounds. she got weighed on her 6 month b-day and was 55 pounds. She has gained 10 pounds in the last month. So in her case, I think that double at 6 months might be close. She was much smaller than her brother when we got her. I don't think she will be more than 120 pounds...only time will tell.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 08:47:17 pm »
Oh I would love to see a pic of your pup. Berner aussie mix must be adorable. Big paws mean big dog.

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 09:28:37 pm »
Here's  Koji at 13 weeks. He's a bundle of energy and I've had no luck in getting a full body shot yet!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 10:40:42 pm »
i heard at 6 months they are 3/4 done growing... Depending on the breed though i guess. Jigsaw is 8 months old and 50lbs, i think she is almost done, 55tops im guessing... at 6 months old Memphis was 110lbs, he is now 185lbs... so, im not sure??? LOL
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 11:11:29 pm »
I think it's probably a wait and see game too, of course depending on the breed and how long they grow. I know some Pyrs keep filling out until 4 yrs old.. the dad of mine didn't reach his full mass until 3 yrs, or at least what my breeder thought was the end of his gain. I've got a long time to wait to see how big they will turn out! But I think they are supposed to reach most their height by a year.. so I guess it all depends. My pups paws aren't huge anymore in comparison to the rest of them though, they only looked like huge puppy feet when they were much younger. But they're 6 months old now too.