Author Topic: herding new puppy  (Read 6336 times)

Offline beagle

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
herding new puppy
« on: July 03, 2007, 01:06:24 am »
Hi,

I need some advice on how to train my 2 year old border collie/australian shepherd from constantly herding our new 3 month old beagle puppy.  He instantly puts his mouth on the puppies neck when they are together.  I hope he will just get used to having the puppy around and eventually stop.  Both need to be able to run in the backyard or lay quietly in the house.

thanks.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: herding new puppy
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 08:27:36 am »
First welcome to the board.  I would love to see pics of the new puppy and the older one as well. 

Does the BC have a leave it command?  If not I would start that right away and teach that command.  That helped tremendously when Cinder would heel the cats.  Also redirecting the play into an appropriate style that you want helps out too.  Try taking the BC for a really long walk or run before you let him play with the beagle pup.  Hope that helps.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 01:30:17 pm »
My GSD pup does that with my neighbors min toy poodle!  He's not biting him on the neck is he?  Just trying to redirect where the pup is going right?  Letting the BC run off some steam before you let the pup out too will help.   That's helped with my Issy.  She still tries to herd the poodle some but not as much.  I'm hoping this will change once she has a job!!  I'm going to start some training with her soon.  Along with the herding instinct, this is also him letting the pup know he's the boss over him! 
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 12:20:58 am »
Since the behaviour is instinct- it will be hard to correct. Our shetland sheepdog herded the other dogs for 15 years. The other dogs just got to the point of ignoring her. She only stopped when she got to old to herd any more. My youngest GP likes to herd Bella, he is constantly attached to her ear or her scruff, guiding her around. She is silly, thats her baby and she puts up with it. He doesnt even try it with the rest of the crew, they would put him in his place before he could think about what he is doing. Since the one is a herding dog and the other is a hunting dog, this could be interesting. Maybe let them out seperatley until the Beagle gets older or just wear the herder out with exercise before the 2 are allowed to play. I would think though that since the beagle is so young- if the behaviour is not stopped, it will become a habit with both of them and will continue for the rest of thier lives.

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 01:43:06 am »
Welcome to the board. The leave it command if taught works really well. I started usung it with my puppy when he started running away with my things. Good luck and get some pics up of those dogs. We love pictures here at the board!!