Author Topic: Do you have your Big Paws vaccinated for Lyme Disease?  (Read 4330 times)

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Do you have your Big Paws vaccinated for Lyme Disease?
« on: July 05, 2007, 10:03:53 pm »
We do not have Cirra vaccinated even though we live in Maine which  has a high incidence of the disease.  The vaccine is very controversial and Cirra is on a minimal vaccination protocol. Also, we do not use any topical preventatives.  We do not have fleas and try to control the tick situation by checking Cirra and manganing the environment.  Curious about what every one else is doing?

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
Re: Do you have your Big Paws vaccinated for Lyme Disease?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 10:10:12 pm »
I haven't gotten mine vaccinated for Lyme. The vet asked if I wanted morgayne done, and I opted against it. He said there have been 2 cases in our county....we do live in the country, but I have only found 2 ticks on dogs so far this season, so I opted against the vaccine.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 07:27:23 am »

No...I don't....that vaccine causes more problems than it prevents and so it is always a cost/benefit analysis. I do not live in an area at risk for lyme and it is a condition that can be successfully treated - two criteria I use for whether or not to vaccinate (geographic risk, and physcial risk).

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 12:02:35 pm »
My mother's Border Collie just went through the treatment for Lyme Disease. It took quite a while for her to recover fully (about 6 weeks), but of course she did. My mother was also using a preventative and her dog still contracted Lyme Disease. I am assuming that she must live in a high risk area.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 01:03:58 pm »
Rosie hasn't been vaccinated for Lyme disease. We live in Texas and aren't so sure it's a huge issue over here.
Rosie - Newfoundland