Author Topic: Alaskan Malamute and Family Pool (vinyl lined)....Need advice quick!!  (Read 13974 times)

Offline marypr2

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Just last week we became the owners of an Alaskan Malamute needing a home.  His name is Akuma, and he is 7 years old.  We have been dealing with the sort-of howling at 5:30 in the morning, and the digging here and there, but yesterday, he took a dip in the family pool and ended up popping two holes in the liner because he couldn't get out and tried to climb out rather than just doggy paddle back to the stairs.  I ended up getting my daughter to bring me the leash and I lead him with the leash to the stairs where he climbed out.  Though the pool has been repaired, we don't know what to do to prevent a recurrence  (despite the trauma of what happened to him, he tried 3 times after that to get in the pool again)....even if we teach him how to use the stairs to get in and out, we really don't want to risk damaging our pool, not to mention having dog hairs floating in the pool.  The pool is enough work to maintain as it is.

SO, here are my questions..... .
1) If we get a kiddy pool for him, will he use that instead of the family pool?  Anyone have experience with that?

2) Someone sells this training device that makes a high pitched sound that annoys dogs to make them quit doing what they are doing.  Does this kind of device work?  Would it be a long-term deterrent?  If these doo dads work, I would be glad to have it to keep him from eating my flowers and stuff too.  Any comments on these devices?

3) I saw mentioned elsewhere that wet sand in a kiddy pool may be preferred to water, as that way, the dog can also dig there.  Anyone with experience with that?

FYI, we live in Georgia, and it is hot here this time of year.  The dog spends his days on a shaded rock patio, and he always has plenty of water.

Any advice and comments would be very welcomed.  This dog is smart and strong.  We fear that if he wants into the pool he will eventually just jump the barricades we have put up.  We don't want him to drown, and as I said, we don't want him in the pool generally anyway.

Thanks,
Mary   

Offline marypr2

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Hi-
thanks for the welcome.

The 5:30 howling thing (remember Malamutes don't really bark, thank god)happens right after my husband puts him outside and leaves for work.  Unfortunately, it continues most of the early morning.   

It could be other critters making noise that I don't hear, or he could be bored.  We haven't yet found a toy he likes to play with.  Any suggestions here would be welcomed too.  We've tried balls that squeak and don't squeak, ropes to chew on, and various other things, and the only thing he responds to is rawhides, which aren't really toys.  He has buried all the rawhides we have given him, but we know he knows where they are, since the first one we gave him reappeared.

I'm not sure we are game for the collars, as that entails expense and time that we may not have to invest.  The hand-held device appeals more if it will work.

This dog is really great, and my daughter loves him to death, though his size scares her still.  (He's only been with us a week.)   It's kind of cute what she does.  She goes to our screened porch and talks to him or gives him snacks from the other side of the screened door.  That's how she "hangs" with him if the adults aren't with her.

I don't really want to give up on the dog because of the pool thing, but the pool is a major investment and source of enjoyment for our family.  We need to get to the other side of this problem quickly.

Regards,
Mary

Offline marypr2

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Here's our dog, Kuma, with my daughter.

chaosndestruction

Hi-
thanks for the welcome.

The 5:30 howling thing (remember Malamutes don't really bark, thank god)happens right after my husband puts him outside and leaves for work.  Unfortunately, it continues most of the early morning.   

It could be other critters making noise that I don't hear, or he could be bored.  We haven't yet found a toy he likes to play with.  Any suggestions here would be welcomed too.  We've tried balls that squeak and don't squeak, ropes to chew on, and various other things, and the only thing he responds to is rawhides, which aren't really toys.  He has buried all the rawhides we have given him, but we know he knows where they are, since the first one we gave him reappeared.

I'm not sure we are game for the collars, as that entails expense and time that we may not have to invest.  The hand-held device appeals more if it will work.

This dog is really great, and my daughter loves him to death, though his size scares her still.  (He's only been with us a week.)   It's kind of cute what she does.  She goes to our screened porch and talks to him or gives him snacks from the other side of the screened door.  That's how she "hangs" with him if the adults aren't with her.

I don't really want to give up on the dog because of the pool thing, but the pool is a major investment and source of enjoyment for our family.  We need to get to the other side of this problem quickly.

Regards,
Mary

Hello! I'm Bri! Slave to Keela a husky/mal/shepard mix. Her mom is husky/mal.

I am going to say that with malamute (as well as huskies) being a stubborn breed, that getting a kiddie pool is a good idea but *might* not work. We tried one for Arisha (Keela's mom) and she refused to use it and insists on using the horse troughs to go for a dip in when she gets too hot.

With the howling (or in this case Rooo Roooing) after hubby lets him outside (is he let back in after he goes potty?) It could be that he wants to be with the family because malamutes are family/pack dogs and like to be around people.

I suggest getting a fence put up around your pool. That is probably the ONLY way you are going to keep him out of it.

I don't think that the noise device will work. Malamutes are VERY good at acting like they are deaf and will simply ignore most sounds. For example, Arisha will ONLY come to me  faster than a tiptoe and/or if her back is turned when I make my voice really excited and high pitched.

chaosndestruction

Awww Kuma looks like a sweetheart!

Offline marypr2

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
OOps!  Too many reponses coming all at once.

First, the device I was referring to is here http://lentek.com/Main/Main.asp?CategoryID=8&SubCategoryID=31&ContentID=106&
It's called a KOOLATRON DOG OFF PRO-SERIES, and it is $29.99.  I don't know about the citronella collars, but we don't have a barking issue, just a training issue/barrier issue.

I would like to ask if any of you Malamute owners would agree with me that the dog might just jump the fence if he wants in the pool badly enough, and unless we have a six foot fence, that won't be enough to keep the pool from being inaccessible.

Regarding my comment about the collars being expensive and time-intensive, years back my husband had a blind (yes, blind) yellow lab that we tried a collar/field device with.  It didn't take too long for us to discover we didnt' have the time to do all the training it took to make it work.  It WAS years ago, and they may have improved since then, but at the time, it didn't work for us.

We came upon this dog because my sister in law could not keep him for financial reasons.  We weren't really looking to be dog owners, but it is obvious that it gives my daughter great joy, kind of like the sibling she has been wanting, so we are trying to make this work.

I am just thinking that the kiddie pool might work with this dog since he rolls around a lot on the yard, I suppose to cool off.  We have watched him a couple of times roll down the hill in the English ivy or on the grass.  I don't know if he finds it fun, but WE do.

Please tell me more about this KONG toy.  I have never heard of it.  What's it all about?

Thanks for your responses.

Mary   

Offline marypr2

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Say, where do these fantastic quotes come from?  Do the responders include those quotes or is there a list of them somewhere.  Love those!

Mary

chaosndestruction

honestly I think Arisha is too lazy to climb or jump a fence. She'll walk down to the fence in the horse pasture and crawl under it.

Tikaani (my parents Husky/shepard) on the other hand  COULD jump it but knows better/knows he's not allowed in the field unless we are up there.

I'm going to say if you put up a fence around the pool and maybe invested in a cheap kiddie pool from him that he'd probably rather take the kiddie pool over finding a way to the other pool.

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
What a nice picture of your daughter and kuma. Hope everything works out for you.

Offline Holly

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 07:59:20 pm by Holly »

Offline marypr2

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Alaskan Malamute and Family Pool (vinyl lined)....Need advice quick!!
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 06:57:02 am »
Hi All-
Well, we set up a kiddie pool last night.  This morning, my daughter went out with Kuma determined to get him into the pool.  While he initially drank the water, she finally faked like she was sticking her feet in the water several times and then he tried it.  Eventually, he got totally in, and at least once he sat/laid down in the water.  Today was a day full of showers and not devilishly hot, so I suppose we haven't gotten a good test of it yet.

(I was very proud of my little girl (she is only 7)for taking on this task and succeeding.  She was quite excited about it all.)

Meanwhile, something happened to one of the gates leading to the family pool, and it was opened for at least part of the day today  (the latch is tricky).  Anyway, Kuma apparently didn't jump in the pool despite the gate being opened.  He wouldn't have been able to get to the stairs without a lot of effort, since we have those barricaded, but he could have jumped in.  Perhaps that is progress.

By the way, is wrapping a Malamute on the nose and saying "NO" very effective for discipline?  When I was a kid my parents wrapped the dogs on the noses when they were disciplining.  I don't know if that is considered uncool/uneffective now or not, OR if it works with big dogs.

I also ordered a super duper KONG to see how that works.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I also got pig ears.  I hope he likes them.....they are expensive as h*ll.

Thanks again for all your comments,
Mary

Offline marypr2

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 07:50:08 am »
Aha, so that's where the quotes come from.  I LOVE them.  I surely don't have any of my own, but may one day.

I wouldn't have nearly the same aversion to having Kuma in the pool, if it wasn't a vinyl-lined pool.  We've lived through 7 years of "stuff" with this pool and finally kind of know how to keep it clean and comfortable.  The liner too is relatively new.  I really wish we had a different situation.

We'll try with the kiddie pool and see if that works.  We can always make sure the kiddie pool has very fresh water in it when we go for a dip, so he will at least feel like he is not getting short-changed.

I just wonder if Malamutes perhaps don't have the same love of swimming as some other breeds do.  That would ease my conscience a little bit to know it's not the top thing on his list of fun things to do...to go swimming.

Thanks again,
Mary 

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 09:52:42 am »
as for the wrapping on the nose....NO it is not effective in malamutes atleast none that i have seen, I volunteer with the NC Malamute rescue and I have seen some not so positive acts come about from similar things. Apple Vinegar in a clear spray bottle, make sure it had the yellow tint. As far as training collars....goo d luck my Nala had a shock collar as she was the out of control puppy and I did shock myself first then put it on her, lets just say that I got up as high as it would go and she shook her head. I have 3 malamutes (2 females and 1 male) love the breed and can't get away from them. I co-own the females with my ex and have the male all to myself. I would highly recommend training at PetsMart, it is cheap and works, keep in mind, malamutes love food and will do anything for it, food is a good training measure, but you must be stern  with him or he will quickly become the owner of the house. Also, I think it was noted before, malamutes are pack animals and enjoy their packs human or canine, mine are inside dogs never left out unless we are with them. All 3 love kiddie pools, Adak and Nala love them more and will roll in them. As far as jumping. I have seen malamutes clear even a 6ft privacy fence, but it is up to you the ALPHA to teach him otherwise. Please feel free to PM me if you need anything, with 3 of them, I have seen 3 different temperments and 3 completely different dogs.

marypyrs

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 10:07:13 am »
Hi Mary! Welcome! I'm another 'Mary'. Mary Jane, actually. But I go by the name of Jane. Kuma is beautiful. And so is your Daughter.

My children grew up with a Mal named Mingo. I brought him home in my big straw purse. He was less than six weeks old. Too young to have left his Mother. But they wanted the puppies gone. So - I guess he was my first rescue of sorts.

Brett was two. And Scottie was born a month after Ming came into my life. The next 14 plus years were spent in constant love, companionship, and something that goes beyound words. We never had to worry about pools. It's too cold for the most part. Living in this Northland our pool is the Lake Superior. Mingo loved to wade in it But never beyound his belly. I think it was his heavy coat that might have weighed him down. It protects them not only in the cold winter months. But also in the heat of the summer.

He loved these frigid winters. The colder, the better. And during any degree of heat in the summer he was always inside where it was cool.

I miss his Mal Howl even to this day. To me it was the most beautiful sound in the world. Enjoy your boy. He's secial. And no. DO NOT wrap him on the nose or anywhere else. Use only positive reinforcement. (Think how you would feel) There are some wonderful suggestions of books on the topic listed here.

I can't wait to see more pictures of your pretty boy & your lovely Daughter too.