Author Topic: Any ideas about how to make my Malamute happy by pulling wagons/toys with kids?  (Read 7027 times)

Offline marypr2

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Hi-
I am fermenting an idea to find some way of letting my new Malamute do what he does best while he entertains kids.  I was thinking of hooking him up to a wagon or something, letting kids get in the wagon, and letting him pull them around the cul-du-sac.  The things I am not sure about are 1) who and how to control him so that no one gets hurt; 2) what kind of harness or whatever would be required; 3) if there is anything commercially available for doing something like this with a dog and cargo and/or kids.  I've also thought about rigging up something with a thick rubber or plastic sheet that I could hook a harness up to so he could pull kids around on that on a lawn or yard.

Have any of you done that or seen it done?  Does anybody know of a website or someplace I could go to read about this kind of thing?

Thanks,
Mary

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
I would  cheack out a  pet  store near you. I know PEtland ( i live in canada)  HAs  halters designed for carting. Im also  staring with zeus but at the moment he rides in the  cart to get  him use to it.
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
I get my harnesses from Black Ice, you will need to teach him basic obedience and keep him on leash attached to you as well. If you call them, they will be able to give you better ideas, Tonka has bike journed, Nala has not done anything yet, and Adak is too young.

Offline marypr2

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
What is bike journed?  My husband is a big bike-rider.

Mary

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
where the dog runs along beside the bike, they must know direction and hault. Tonka is very calm and listens very well. We started by walking them and teaching them directions, I think brandon just had her leash attached to him or the bike, she knew to stay away from the bike, but there is equipment to purchase that keeps them away from the wheels, tonka does not like to run so she did not do this much, she is a trotter. We tried rollerblades, but she did not like to walk with them either. Get him a backpack, start with bottles of water and have him walk with it when it is cooler outside, also any trails in the park with a pack on.  How much does he weigh? He looks beautiful and your daughter is very cute.

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
Hi,

Check out the Breed organization. They can direct you to a local chapter and they normally have a wealth of information on carting harnesses and just what to do with your dog.

http://www.alaskanmalamute.org/working/workgam.asp

I go the the New England Newfoundland club get togethers often and they offer free demo classes and usuallyt have vendors that can get you all oputfitted. Plus your pupper gets to hang with relatives!!!

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad