Author Topic: Malamute hunting instincts...this is getting scary  (Read 6665 times)

Offline juneausmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Malamute hunting instincts...this is getting scary
« on: July 17, 2007, 06:16:37 pm »
My 15-month old male malamute has provent to be an excellent hunter; he's been catching voles and field mice on our farm for nearly a year. Unfortunately, he's also recently taken a small fawn, and I worry about him turning this instinctive behavior on other dogs, etc.

On walks, he responds well to sit, stay, down, come--unless he sees a duck or a rabbit and then he nearly yanks my arm off and I struggle to control him when he's in that hunting mode. It's as if he's on a very fast autopilot.

We keep him kenneled at night (when he responds to the call) and when we're not home, but otherwise he has free reign of 40 acres and usually stays pretty close to home.

I know I can't change his genes, but I was wondering if any one had a similar experience and any success in moderating the behavior.

Thanks in advance.

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Malamute hunting instincts...this is getting scary
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 07:29:25 pm »
My mals hunt, rabbits, squirrles, and other small animals. They are wonderful with smaller dogs, but never left unsupervised

Offline KJUNMAMI

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Justice baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 09:42:53 pm »
My 15-month old male malamute has provent to be an excellent hunter; he's been catching voles and field mice on our farm for nearly a year. Unfortunately, he's also recently taken a small fawn, and I worry about him turning this instinctive behavior on other dogs, etc.

On walks, he responds well to sit, stay, down, come--unless he sees a duck or a rabbit and then he nearly yanks my arm off and I struggle to control him when he's in that hunting mode. It's as if he's on a very fast autopilot.

We keep him kenneled at night (when he responds to the call) and when we're not home, but otherwise he has free reign of 40 acres and usually stays pretty close to home.

I know I can't change his genes, but I was wondering if any one had a similar experience and any success in moderating the behavior.

Thanks in advance.

Have you had obedience training? It wouldn't stop him from going after these smaller animals but may make him listen when he sees these other animals. Just a thought.  ;)
Mommy to
one baby girl 1 yr and one boy 3 yrs
pitbull Justice-70 lbs. @ 10 mos.
2 kitties Thelma and Louise 1 year.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 05:34:24 am »
Since he's hunted a fawn, I'm concerned that he may turn his attention to lambs & calves.  If so, in many rural areas, the farmer's are allowed to shoot to kill a dog to defend their livestock and that would be tragic.  Is it possible to fence him in a smaller area (an acre or two) that you can see more easily to make certain that he's safe?
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees