Author Topic: Finally getting my little girl back today  (Read 10440 times)

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Finally getting my little girl back today
« on: July 18, 2007, 09:48:44 pm »
SO as many of you know my little baby girl Great Dane has HOD. Well i just changed vets (who i now love!) and she had a bad flare up. She wasnt responding to the medication he had given her the day before (which she had in the past once and it worked wonders for her) She was shaking, had a fever of 104, wouldnt eat or drink, and had bad diarrhea. The day before when i took her in to see him she weighed 37.8lbs, and the next day she only weighed 34lbs. she lost 3lbs overnight. so he examined her and wanted to keep her overnight which was very fine by me. well one night turned into two nights... they called me and let me know that they were having a hard time getting her fever down, and although they put a lot of fluids into her (IV) she still was a bit dehydrated and they wanted to keep her another night. fine by me i just want her feeling better! the first night she was in i had nightmares about losing her and i couldnt sleep, it was the worst flare up shes had yet. but finally yesterday night they called and told me she could probably come home today but they wanted my approval to do one last test on her. they want to test her liver function. he was telling me about the two levels of something the liver produces ( i cant remember the names of them) and that they were very very low. he thinks maybe her liver is contributing to her flare ups being so bad and hard to control. of course i gave him the ok!! the results of that take about 3 to 5 days to come in, but in the meantime i can have her home! he said shes eating like a maniac now, drinking, and is walking a little bit. he said he was happy to see her wagging her tail and being happy. i guess they really like her there too, shes such a sweetheart! i just thought id give some of you an update who wanted to know about her! i will say, im very happy with my new vet. they called me atleast 5 times in the 2 days she was there to let me know everything! im happy they care!
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline heidismom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Finally getting my little girl back today
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 09:54:44 pm »
poor pupper, i'm sorry to hear she has had such a hard time of it.  it is great that this vet is actually making the effort and keeping you in the loop.  hope everything continues improving

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 10:10:18 pm »
Sounds like you have a great new vet!!! Give your sweet girl a hug for me.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 10:14:42 pm »
Glad she is doing better and will get to come home.  It is so difficult to be away from our babies.

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 10:50:07 pm »
Awwww your little girl is home.....that is great. It sounds like you found a real keeper for a vet. Wishing your girl all the best in finding some comfort. Give her a big hug from us. Please keep us posted on her progress. :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 10:50:32 pm by Icerotti »

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 02:30:00 am »
It always puts our mind to rest when we find a really good vet.  But I have to ask, what is HOD? I have no clue what that is. Maybe once someone spells it out I'll call myself a big dummy. LOL

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 03:59:09 am »
Awww, I'm so glad you found a good vet. Hmmm, I'm wondering if there's a chance of pancreatitis?  Charge had it once and had very similar symptoms...Als o, once the pancreas flares up, it can cause the liver to flare up.  Just another thing to test for...I sure hope she gets better soon!

Here are the symptoms per a vet website:

Common symptoms of the acute form of pancreatitis in dogs include a very painful abdomen, abdominal distention, lack of appetite, depression, dehydration, a 'hunched up' posture, vomiting, diarrhea and yellow, greasy stool. Fever often accompanies these symptoms.

thank you for that! i will be sure to ask him about it. and HOD is hypertrophic osterdystrophy . what happens is her bones grow very rapidly and unevenly (in the legs) and it causes inflamation and extreme pain in the joints, also high fevers, loss of apetite (i wouldnt have one either if i was in that much pain!)its a very horrible and painful disease...

Icerotti

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 07:29:49 am »
Awww, I'm so glad you found a good vet. Hmmm, I'm wondering if there's a chance of pancreatitis?  Charge had it once and had very similar symptoms...Als o, once the pancreas flares up, it can cause the liver to flare up.  Just another thing to test for...I sure hope she gets better soon!

Here are the symptoms per a vet website:

Common symptoms of the acute form of pancreatitis in dogs include a very painful abdomen, abdominal distention, lack of appetite, depression, dehydration, a 'hunched up' posture, vomiting, diarrhea and yellow, greasy stool. Fever often accompanies these symptoms.

thank you for that! i will be sure to ask him about it. and HOD is hypertrophic osterdystrophy . what happens is her bones grow very rapidly and unevenly (in the legs) and it causes inflamation and extreme pain in the joints, also high fevers, loss of apetite (i wouldnt have one either if i was in that much pain!)its a very horrible and painful disease...
I have not has any experience with this. Is this something that will disapate once she is done growing or does it remain for life?

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 07:36:13 am »

I have not has any experience with this. Is this something that will disapate once she is done growing or does it remain for life?

I was wondering the same thing.  It  sure sounds painfull  for the poor lil gal
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 08:38:31 am »
it is very painful... its a very sad disease. it will start to go away as her bone growth slows and she matures. some end it around 8months, some a year... right now shes almost 5months...

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 08:42:23 am »
omg.... our vet bill was $528.. but well worth every penny to have her back to her "normal" self. she still is having a little trouble walking, but thats because she hasent used those muscles in days.... shes on a special diet now, and on 3 medications.. money is nothing when you compare it to what shes worth to us, you cant buy that...

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 11:03:22 am »
o yay!! this is wonderfull news to hear! i love your little girlie and i hope that her new vets get her set on the right track of treatment!!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 07:46:26 pm »
well right now he has her on tramadol, rimadyl, and metronidazole. two of them are every 6-8 hours, and the rimadyl is every 12... shes on a special diet, he gave me Euanuba vet diet low- residue... HOPEFULLY all goes well. shes very happy right now. shes playing (while sitting or laying, its still a little rough on the walking) shes getting better with walking. i almost cried last night when she got up on her own and walked over to me and wagged her tail and looked at me as if to say "look momma im doing it by myself!" i just collapsed and kissed and hugged her like crazy!

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 04:15:06 am »
well im going to mix this food with her eagle pack. this is low residue. she was getting a lot of dirrhea on eagle pack, it was uncontrolable.