Author Topic: Baby Pyr!  (Read 5581 times)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Baby Pyr!
« on: July 25, 2007, 07:04:15 am »
Hi!  I recently acquired a pyr puppy about 2 weeks ago ;D, and was told about this site from a friend of mine who has another large breed dog.  Naja is just about 12 weeks old and growing FAST :o!  She's gained several inches in the 2 weeks I've had her home.  I'm feeding her food for large breed puppies, but is there maybe something different I should switch to to slow it down to avoid Hip Displacia when she's older ???.  She's the cutest puppy I think I've ever seen, but very lazy.  Her energy levels are very low, she's much more content to be napping at my feet then chasing a ball, I've tried taking her for walks but she keeps wanting to make her way to the grass and sit down.  Any suggestions at what I could do to get her energy levels up? ???
Thanks !!!
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Baby Pyr!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 07:39:52 am »
Oh, oh, oh!!!  ;D  ;D  Please, please post pics of little Naja when you can, as you can probably guess, I adore Pyrs!

Naja's energy level sounds very typical to me for a Pyr puppy.  She is in a big growth spurt right and mine always slept more during growth spurts, plus they are very laid back dogs anyway.  If she has been checked over by the vet for her well puppy vet checks and she is eating a good quality dog food, then I wouldn't worry.

I'm so glad that someone recommended BPO to you.  You'll find a lot of friendly, helpful dog lovers here.  I'm the mom to 3 kids, our kitties and Daisy our 8 y/o Golden/Lab, Cassie our 2 y/o Pyr/?, and Sammy our 5-6 y/o Pyr.  We've also been very blessed to have been loved by Cara & Halley, our sweet Pyr girls that are at the bridge now.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 02:39:17 pm »
Yep this is a Pyr!!  Very lazy even as pups they are very unlikely to play fetch games and yes they would much rather be lounging at your feet!  I've had new puppy owners call me because they thought their Pyr puppy was sick but no this is just a Pyr.  Even as puppies they are very laid back- MUCH different than most other breeds. This breed is not an endurance breed and especially as pups walks should be kept short- he may be wanting to sit because he is tired or typical Pyr he just doesn't want to go that far

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 03:37:47 pm »
Ok, this is too funny! My husband and I were laughing about the same issue this morning...Lily just turned one and I swear she is awake 1-2 hours a day. We can't make her walk either. It is so aggravating that I just stopped trying and gained 5lb myself, LOL! So, we came up with the definition for Pyrs..."GREAT SLEEPING COMPANIONS!" And to be honest with you, I don't know how they get HD if they never walk???
Anyways, I sure hope that it will change in the winter. At least, last winter it was different!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 05:02:13 pm »
Oh!  Please, please, PLEASE post pictures of Naja soon!!

Welcome to BPO and congrats on your new little fur baby!  I am Stephanie.  I have three teenagers at home and a whole zoo of pets that are listed in my signature.  The one that brought me to BPO is my 6 month old Newfoundland, Sierra.  This is a great site full of the friendliest people.  I have had many concerns about Sierra alleviated by posting here.  Soon you will be as addicted as the rest of us.

Now the most important thing: Post lots of pictures of Naja.  We are picture hogs and love showing off our pups.
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 06:54:37 pm »
Hi and welcome, we need pics of that cute puppy!! As all the others have said, you've got a typical Pyr pup. ;) MIne were the same way. She should get more playful as she gets older, well mine have but then again I have 2..so someone is always bothering the other one, even if they want to sleep or chew a bone. We were amazed though, at the age of yours that all they did was sleep when we'd let them out to play..10 mins was as much play time as they'd be able to get in hahaha. The walking will also get better, at least in my experience. It took awhile for my dogs to get the hang of a leash and actually having to walk somewhere they didn't plan on going themselves. Once they figured out it would be fun and lots of smells, they were happy to go. The first time though we took them around the block as pups we had to carry them home, they refused.Now, I am having pulling problems ..and my male is very eager to walk!  Before you know it, you won't be able to pick her up, so do it as much as you can now

Welcome! I have a male and female and they just turned 7 months old. It seems like I blinked and they are huge. :-\ Enjoy her!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 06:57:03 pm by mama2many »

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 07:21:08 pm »
A Big welcome to you and Naja!!! Like you've already been told this is a great site to learn and share experiences. Everyone is super helpful when they can be ~ to offer tips/suggestions, laugh and cry with you. Hope you enjoy searching through the threads and post a pic when you get a chance. I'm Kim ~ mama to an old man Hoover and a big girl Libby.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 08:14:13 pm »
Hello and welcome to the board. I have 3 pyrs and that is so like them. My older pyrs didn't do very much but sleep. Very typical. But my pup Tripper is not your typicla pyr puupy. All he wants to do is play, play, play. The other 2 are always trying to get away from because they just want to lounge. But you pup is very normal. You must post some pics of her. I love the little (big) ball of fluffyness.

chaosndestruction

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 09:26:41 pm »
HI i'm Bri...owner to the malamutt Keela.

about the food. It depends on what type of food and the protein levels in the food that you are feeding it. Most large breed puppy foods are NOT suitable for XL dogs. Check out the food forum on here and I suggest reading Holly's dog food dissertation in there.

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 06:26:51 am »
hi welcome to the board! im Christina, mother to Max, Chevy, and Boog in my avatar. You'll get some great ideas from the people on the board, if you have any other questions post away, i like to freeze cloth toys for the boys to play with, and usualy i get out there and play one on one with them, like chase. love to see some pics of your little pupper!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 12:47:08 pm »
Wow!What a response!  Thanks for your advise!  I won't worry so much about her energy levels now, just knowing that they'll get better as she gets older.  She's getting better at walking, not for long distances (The longest she'll walk without wanting to lay down in the grass is about 100 yards!), but she does stay beside me fairly well, and always comes when she's called!   She is so CUTE!  She's just a big ole' scardy dog too.  We have a dairy farm and the first time she saw the cows, or a tracter, or a garbage bag full of trash out in the front yard she ran to about 30 feet away and started barking at it!  I started to cry I was laughing so hard, so CUTE!
I'm still amazed every day at how smart she is!  She's only 12 weeks old and she can already open doors and ger out of her pen! And don't worry, I'll be posting pics as soon as I get my digital camera working (I'm alittle technologicall y impaired lol).
This site is wonderfull, I've been visiting it since about 2 weeks before I got Naja just to try and learn things from posts already on here, it's been an invaluble resource in the first few weeks!  So I  guess I just wanted to say thanks!
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 03:53:41 pm »
Welcome to the board- I have been hoping to see pics of Naja. Pyrs are incredible dogs. I think that the females are a little more intense that the male dogs. Naja's barking at the unfamiliar is just a preview of her future life. She has no idea yet why she was barking, but she was guarding. Hopefully barking is not going to be an issue for you because Pyrs bark a lot. Also dont worry about the energy level, I basically carried one of mine around until she was 5 months old. I am Paige and in addition to having some Danes, a Newf mix, a foster St Bernard, I have 4 incredibly wonderful Pyrs. Welcome to BPO and the world of Pyrenees.