Author Topic: Death by the Pound  (Read 6315 times)

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Death by the Pound
« on: August 01, 2007, 06:38:50 pm »
 >:(
Actually there are 2 articles having the exact same name:
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2006-01-26/news/death-by-the-pound/
http://www.treshanley.com/cic/gas.html(2 articles inside).
Even wording for the reasons of death are similar:
"They are the wrong shape, size, color, or breed, too slender or too heavy or simply unspectacular— judged on appearance."

"They die because they are the wrong color, size or breed. They die simply because they are unremarkable."  >:(

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Death by the Pound
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 09:34:27 pm »
I don't want to say anything after reading these articles, but I have to say I am so glad I took Butter II who otherwise would face the same fate mentioned in the articles. I salute those rescuers who save so many innocent lives.

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 02:22:05 pm »
I just started reading a book that addresses this very issue, "Redemption" by Nathan Winograd. I will let you all know how it is...so far, I'm already on chapter 3 and it's riveting.

I have 1 dog that I adopted from the local humane society and 1 dog adopted from a rescue group, so the topic is very close to my heart!
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 06:38:07 am »
The over population of dogs and cats is overwhelming. My daughter works at a no kill shelter (unless they have to euth, they dont, so a dog can stay at the shelter forever basically) They can only take in those that they have room for, and lately with all of the puppy mill raids, that has hurt a lot of the average strays in getting a spot at the shelter. Her shelter pulls dogs from the local pound that does euth after 3 days.
Spay and Neuter is the only real solution. Stopping the puppy mills is also a must.

I am working on another rescue tonight- she will be here around 9PM and I will get to place her in a forever home tomorrow. She is a death row dog.

Another book to read is 15 Legs. It tells of all of the people who regularly donate thier time to help transport a dog from certain death to another chance. My rescue is coming to me from 3 hours away via the rescue train of volunteers.

If anyone is looking for a way to help, with out taking in another dog- this is a great option with an outstanding group of people and the plus is that for maybe an hour, you get to share a little bit of time with an incredible dog that gets another chance at life. Most of these dogs know that they are getting that second chance and lovingly tell you thanks.

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 06:40:23 am »
The over population of dogs and cats is overwhelming. My daughter works at a no kill shelter (unless they have to euth, they dont, so a dog can stay at the shelter forever basically) They can only take in those that they have room for, and lately with all of the puppy mill raids, that has hurt a lot of the average strays in getting a spot at the shelter. Her shelter pulls dogs from the local pound that does euth after 3 days.
Spay and Neuter is the only real solution. Stopping the puppy mills is also a must.

I am working on another rescue tonight- she will be here around 9PM and I will get to place her in a forever home tomorrow. She is a death row dog.

Another book to read is 15 Legs. It tells of all of the people who regularly donate thier time to help transport a dog from certain death to another chance. My rescue is coming to me from 3 hours away via the rescue train of volunteers.

If anyone is looking for a way to help, with out taking in another dog- this is a great option with an outstanding group of people and the plus is that for maybe an hour, you get to share a little bit of time with an incredible dog that gets another chance at life. Most of these dogs know that they are getting that second chance and lovingly tell you thanks.

Who would I contact to be able to help transport rescue dogs/cats? It sounds like a great way to be able to help!
Jennifer

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 07:29:20 am »
I used to volunteer with Spots 'n' Pals Overland Transport...th ey did ALOT of transport.  To this day, if I am at a fast food restaurant anywhere near a highway on a weekend and see someone with dogs in their car, I wonder if they are transporters!

I got our Dolly on a transport run.  I drove 90 miles to a shelter in Buckhannon, West Virginia to get several dogs, then took them another 150 miles to rescues.  When I arrived, I learned that 16 of the 18 dogs were being rescued that day...the other 2 were being gassed at 4 o'clock.  There was NO WAY I was walking out of that shelter and leaving them behind.  I called a friend and badgered her into fostering one of them...that left Dolly.  I took her home, and she and my husband fell madly in love within 2 days.  That was more than 6 years ago, and I still call her "My Husband's Other Woman", lol.  She is pudgy and spoiled and spends most of her time smiling, squeaking and farting, lol.  She has the sweetest disposition of any dog I have ever met.

We have had several dogs that no one else wanted....that had strikes against them in a shelter environment:  Pookapoo was old and had breath that could melt the paint off the walls.  Ribbit's fur remains stringy no matter how much you brush him, and is a barking fool.  Stubby was abused and is very timid.  Zildjian is a Dalmatian, and was brought to the shelter during the time that the 101 movies were out and everyone was getting Dals and then dumping them.  I could care less if my dogs are "undesirables".  I looked at them with my heart instead of my eyes.  I like to think that no one else wanted them because they were meant to be with me!! 

Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 09:33:54 am »
Thanks for the info!

BTW, this book, "Redemption", I am reading is really interesting... speaks to the pet overpopulation issue and how cities like San Francisco have been able to truly be no-kill cities and how others could as well.  It also speaks to the history of the humane society movement and how it has deteriorated from a purpose of prevention of cruelty and compassion, to being one that is the leading killer of healthy dogs and cats in this country.
Jennifer

~Robert Lewis Steven

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 07:47:15 pm »
I just sent you a PM on some groups that you may be interested in joining. I did a couple of transports today and one is here for the nite. She gets to go to her forever home tomorrow. I hope that it works out and you can help in transporting.