Author Topic: My Poor Zero *updated aug 11*  (Read 10554 times)

EllieAndBlu

Re: My Poor Zero
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 09:20:55 pm »
awwwww Jo - hang in there, sweetie - your boy will be home safe and sound soon!  Sending Zero tons of healing vibes for a speedy recovery!

marypyrs

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 09:35:00 pm »
Many HUGS and Healing Thoughts to Zero Boy.  :-*
And to 'Momma Jo' too. I'll keep popping often to see how your sweet fellow is doing.  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 09:49:04 pm »
Aww poor Zero (and poor you) Sending (((hugs))) and positive thoughts your way for a speedy recovery.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 10:49:05 pm »
Hugs and kisses to Zero from the pyr gang and mom too.

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 04:06:35 am »
I would like to thank evryone for all the well thoughts and prayers for Zero today. He is home now, he is not himself, but that is to be expected. he is very VERY groggy and moping around. sleepy and eyes droopy. But by tomorrow, he should be back to his old self. i will let you all know how he is doing...
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2007, 04:24:29 am »
OMG Jodi i totaly missed this! im glad that the surgery went well. hope zerobug is up and bouncing (however softly) tomorrow. it's realy hard when the dogs dont get along im struggling to make some decisions my self also. i realy am hoping that neutering Zero will fix the problem. kiss his nose for me plz. :-*
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: My Poor Zero *updated aug 11*
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 08:27:48 pm »
just wanted to let everyone know that Zero is doing great. Though, he has ALOT of swelling, his testicles are twice their normal size, his poor love coconuts. lol. He is back to his old self being a crazy meat-head. We went out of town yesterday and i bought him some really nice bones to chew on. and he is laying beside me, chewing one happily.
thank you all for your well wishes and concerns!
Darcy was telling me, zero was the ONLY surgery went bad on thursday, he stopped breathing and they thought they were going to lose him... but luckily, they have miracle drugs, and he is doing amazing!!!!
Thank you all again...

Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2007, 08:36:08 pm »
OMG im glad he's ok! how long does it take for the testosterone to get out of a dogs system...any body know?
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2007, 08:47:44 pm »
"love coconuts" LMFAO!!!!! I am glad to hear he is doing better. Give him a hug for me.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 08:48:21 pm by zchic »
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2007, 09:20:24 pm »
that's what i'd heard, but i wasnt sure. so Jodi make sure and have an update in 2 months on how he's getting along with memph :D im anxious to see if it makes a big difference.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

chaosndestruction

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2007, 10:36:01 pm »
Glad to hear he's doing good! And now thanks to you I have "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts...dee dly dee...there they are a standing in a row...big ones...small ones...some as big as your head!" stuck in my head.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 10:36:20 pm by chaosndestruction »

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2007, 11:42:20 pm »
ROFLOL
you guys are all great! LOL  Yes, we will try to keep zeros exorsize down, but its so hard, when all he wants to do is play ball with jigsaw.  ::) Im not sure the total time for testosterone to leave the system. i am sure it will take a long while for zero. hes full of it. Raging male hormones. But he is doing very well, hes being annoying right now. and i give him tons of hugs and kisses for each and everyone of yous :)
Thanks
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2007, 12:08:44 am »
Great news Jo! I am so glad that Zero is doing well and getting lots of BPO lovin'!  :)

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2007, 07:10:14 pm »
Rather than see you have to give up one of your babies, here's an idea you might want to try.  It will take time, effort and consistency, and at least one extra person to help you, but I am pretty sure that given the other options, it will be worth it to fix this issue.

First, you would need to figure out exactly at what distance the two dogs stop reacting to each other. Is it based on sight- Where if they can see each otherthey react, even if separated by 100 yards or so? Or do they not react to each other until they are within a certain distance of each other?  (Note- this may be different for each of the dogs)

Second- figure out what kind of treat each dog considers their favorite- it can be ANYTHING, as long as to that dog, it is the best thing in the whole world.

For the first day, you and your helper each take one dog, and that dog's special treat, and head off around the block or something in opposite directions. (You need to be very aware of your dog's body language, and estimate before starting, just how far apart you will have to be.) The plan is to meet head-on, but stopping before either dog has the chance to react, (including starting to tense up.)

1.) Just before either dog would normally react, (Make sure you both stop JUST BEFORE the first dog is about to react.) each of you stop and start shoving treats into each dog's mouth, as fast as you can, without causing them to choke.  (Use small pieces of treat, so the dog does not need to stop and chew before swallowing- ie. hot dog cut into quarters length-wise, then sliced)  While shoving treats in the dog's mouth, praise him heavily. 

2.) After about 5 minutes, stop the treats, turn your dog around, and head back the way you came.  Plan ahead so you do not meet again when arriving back at the starting point- one dog should arrive first and be put away before the other dog is even in sight.

The next few days, do the same thing over again.

3.) When they both stop paying any attention to each other when you approach the "treat place" go about 10 feet closer, and do the exact same thing. Repeat daily until they no longer pay any attention to each other.

3.) A.  If either dog reacts at all during this procedure, back up to a place where he stops reacting, and begin again from there.  You do not want to force them if they are having a bad day, so pay attention to their body language.

4.) Repeat each of the previous steps, getting closer and closer to each other, until you can get them within 10 feet of each other without them reacting to each other (they should be looking at you expecting treats rather than caring what the other dog is doing).

5.) Start working with them in your own back yard. Again, if they are reacting to each other, you are too close together.  Repeat the above steps again until the dogs are not reacting to each other. If you do not have a yard to work in, try a local dog park, a neighbor's field (ask permission first, of course).

You will need to repeat all of the steps in order in various places before you can begin the steps in your own house, because dogs do not generalize- just because they no longer react to each other when on the other side of the block, or in the park, that doesn't mean they will not react to each other in your own yard or your house.  You have to stick with it, and keep repeating the procedure in various places, and then finally indoors, in your own house.

By the time you get to that point, they should start to be happy to see the other dog, because it means good treats. I have used this procedure, and ended up with the dogs being best friends, because being near each other resulted in good things happening (ie. treats and praise.)

Give it a try, and see if it fixes the problems with your guys before you even think about rehoming one, or worse. Good Luck!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 01:58:54 pm by Imani's Mom »

Weedsport, NY

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2007, 04:06:59 am »
I was going to suggest basically the same thing Imani's mom suggested.  I know of several people who have tried this, and if you stick with it and don't rush it, it can work wonders.

Good luck with Memphis and Zero.  I hope things can be worked out between them.