Author Topic: Is this reportable? (Sorry so much backstory...)  (Read 3486 times)

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Is this reportable? (Sorry so much backstory...)
« on: August 13, 2007, 05:40:10 am »
Feel free to scroll ahead to the issue at hand...

So a little backstory:
Some of you may remember back to the drama of Izzy. My husband's boss and our landlord were one in the same, they changed their mind about Izzy and told us that we had to give him up or we'd lose Sean's job AND our only place to live (I wasn't working at the time) So, we made the terrificly heartbreaking decision to give Izzy up. Well, here we are, only 8 months later, and my husband has been laid off, and we now have to find a new place to live (wish I would have seen this coming in Dec., we would have just told them to go ahead and fire him!) Anyway, we're now finding ourselves looking for a pet friendly rental (we have two cats) and, just maybe, a place that will  let us have a dog someday down the road, when the timing is right. So, I found a cute a little house that was advertised as pet friendly, made a little drive by, and saw a mastiff in the front yard! Yeah for big paw friendly! So that brings us to the present problem...

The issue:
  So, we made an appointment to see the house. We're standing around waiting for the guy to let us in, and I get a better look at the mastiff. She's female, brindle colored, and.. oh my lord. Most of her ribs were visible, she's shedding in chunks, and she has the most horrendous infection in her eyes that I've ever seen. She almost can't see out of them because there is so much goop and puss and Lord knows what else in them.  :'( I can tell that she's an outside dog, which I know is not a crime, though I don't know if she's brought inside in the winter, which would be a crime, since I didn't see a doghouse. She has water available, but no food. Which, I mean, most big dog lovers don't free feed their dogs anyway, so that's also not a crime. So, am I overreacting, or should I call someone? A rescue group? Humane society? Or am I just crazy?

Based on the following, is this reportable?

She's extremely skinny. Ribs are not totally sucked in or overly defined from the top view, nor is her waist sucked in to the point of emaciation. But from the side, nearly all her ribs are visible and more than palpable, when petting her there does not appear to be any fat covering over her ribs at all. Her spine is beginning to be visible from the top view. If using the Purina Body Condition System (that poster in all the vet offices, it's the best visual I can think of)I would say that she's about a two (very thin).

Her eyes are very, very infected. Both of them are full of a  white/green, thick, snot like substance. I would say that each eye is nearly half full of this stuff. There's also some good crust around each eye.

She doesn't appear to be abused at all; she seems to really like her owner and doesn't exhibit any behavior typical of a dog that's been physically abused. But her condition has me concerned.

So tell me, am I overreacting?

And as a quick side vent- who in the world would let their dog suffer like that?! >:(

bigdogs@5501

Re: Is this reportable? (Sorry so much backstory...)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 06:01:42 am »
Did she have a mousy smell to her? The reason I ask is that deomdec (spelling??) mange will cause the dog to have the hair falling out and will cause they pussy discharge in the eyes. And they will have a mousy old weird smell to them. I have known another dog with this problem. Doesnt explain the weight or lack of though. Poor dog, it is a treatable condition if that is what she has, also stress will exacerbate the symptoms of that type of mange and well being under weight and out doors all of the time could be a stress producer.

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 06:06:36 am »
Truthfully, the loss of hair could b simple lack of grooming or poor diet- she didn't have any particular smell to her- though she was filthy. (My hands were solid black after just a few moments) But, she was shedding excessively, and it's not particularly hot here in Tahoe.

Though, I forgot to add, she also has a lump about the size of a golfball on the inside of one of her back legs...

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 07:20:11 am »
Yes! Don't feel weird. Report it to Animal Control. Even if the owner appears to love the dog, she clearly needs attention that she isn't getting. Maybe they just don't get it, and need someone to educate them, that's all.

You'd be doing the right thing.

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 04:03:02 pm »
I would definately report. You'll sleep better knowing that you've done what you can. Your story about Izzy is really sad... :'(
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 04:31:50 pm »
Hi,

Report or stop by for another visit and ask about the pupper. If you are comfortable doing that, may help sway them toward you being the tenant if you want to be.
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad