Author Topic: ~*Small SUVs & Big Dogs*~  (Read 8844 times)

Offline EnchantedGypsy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
~*Small SUVs & Big Dogs*~
« on: August 03, 2007, 11:01:57 am »
Well, I just went through all the prior posts about SUVs & such and have a question.... We have a Suzuki XL-7, at the time I bought it I'd intended to get a Silken Windhound. Now that I've up-sized my next dog to a Borzoi, I want to ask if anyone else has a small SUV that works fine for your big dog??

I originally intended to choose a female Borzoi pup; but after seeing all the big, gorgeous male Borzois last week it got me wanting a male. Female Borzois are about the size of an over-size Silken Windhound at 26"-30" (50-75 pounds); and male Borzois are 30"-36" (75-100 pounds). A couple of the Borzoi people I talked to at the show last week said their dogs don't actually stand up when they're in the car, so not to worry about it. Any thoughts? 
~*~*And he says 'Rhiannon don't go.... Rhiannon stay'.... And he still cries out for her.... 'Don't leave me.... don't leave me now'....*~*~

chaosndestruction

Re: ~*Small SUVs & Big Dogs*~
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 01:00:13 pm »
Well, I just went through all the prior posts about SUVs & such and have a question.... We have a Suzuki XL-7, at the time I bought it I'd intended to get a Silken Windhound. Now that I've up-sized my next dog to a Borzoi, I want to ask if anyone else has a small SUV that works fine for your big dog??

I originally intended to choose a female Borzoi pup; but after seeing all the big, gorgeous male Borzois last week it got me wanting a male. Female Borzois are about the size of an over-size Silken Windhound at 26"-30" (50-75 pounds); and male Borzois are 30"-36" (75-100 pounds). A couple of the Borzoi people I talked to at the show last week said their dogs don't actually stand up when they're in the car, so not to worry about it. Any thoughts? 

Well I don't know anything about the suzuki xl-7 but I just recently bought a rav4. My dog is only 24" and about 80lbs and she fits with the seats in just fine. I do plan on getting a Great Dane in the near future and when the time comes I plan on taking out the back seats whenever i take the dogs anywhere (they are really easy to take out/install).

I don't think a Borzoi would have a problem in a small-ish suv. My mom's GD back when she was younger used to fit in the backseat of a pinto!

lorim2

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 08:16:16 pm »
Ya I have a Ford Escape and my OEM who is 34 in and 205 and my lab, 86 llbs..fit fine.  Its a little crowded if the whole fam goes but its very do-able!!

Offline fivestartaylor

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Scooby & Kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 10:59:44 pm »
We have a dodge caravan(obviously not an suv but) it has stow and go seats, so the whole family can get in the seats and the back row can fold into the floor for the dogs, and needless to say without the kids and husband I could fit just about anything in that van.

My momma has a Pontiac Aztec and my dogs and 2 kids still fit fine in there too.
Mom To :

Scooby 18mo. Great Dane
          &
Lucy   7yr old Labrador Retriever

2 Kids & 1 Husband -(might as well be another kid)

Offline EnchantedGypsy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 04:21:32 am »
Wow, thanks for all the great replies & advice! I think I will go ahead and broaden my search for a Zoi pup and look at males as well ;D My prior dogs have been males, so I'm used to boys but really have no preference.

~*~*And he says 'Rhiannon don't go.... Rhiannon stay'.... And he still cries out for her.... 'Don't leave me.... don't leave me now'....*~*~

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 04:43:25 am »
Well, I can't speak for SUV's, but I've got a Honda Accord that fits one great dane, one mid sized husky/shep mix and 2 rat terriers pretty well.......... ..lol.

I am planning on upgrading late next year to a third row SUV (so I can actually fit people in too).  I'm hoping the gas mileage will improve by then.

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 05:35:27 am »
I've had my crew in a number of different vehicles that are much smaller then the Zuki, so I think your new addition will be fine.

Here is my list lol

Nissan 240sx hatch back-Great Dane adult male

Pontiac Grand am- Great dane, shep mix and 1 chihuahua, plus all our camping gear for a 5 hours road trip.

Dodge Durango- 2 great danes, 1 shep mix, enough camping gear and stuff to sink a ship- 11 hour road trip to Indiana

Chevy Colbalt- 1 great dane in the backseat

Hyndai accent- 2 great danes in the back seat

and various other rental cars with a dane in the back lol

I'm now at a Saturn Vue.  Atticus fits perfectly with his bed at the back (trunk area).  When Osiris comes along, we fold the back seat down as well.  The chihuahuas float around the cabin area lol.  I think the zuki is a bit smaller then the vue, but not by much.  The point I am getting at is, I dont think you'll have a problem :)

Wow! Thats about as many cars as I've had!

Bullmastiff at 115lbs would cram himself into the back seat of a Toyota Celica. He was cramped but very happy back there. My windows were slimmed to prove it. People at the Ft. DeSoto Paw Playground just watched in shock/horror as he bolted out from behind the seats.

I've "upgraded" to a Mazda6 5-door, those 5lbs he gained means he outgrew the Celica.  ;D If his royal highness doesn't have enough room to romp I just lay the seats down so he has the hatch area too but he forgets/doesn't realize the glass is there so it's funny when he cracks his head on the back window.
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat