Author Topic: Therapy Dogs  (Read 2532 times)

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Therapy Dogs
« on: August 05, 2007, 03:19:42 am »
Hey guys, I know some of you (ok atleast I know about Lily) have therapy dogs. I was just wondering... my pup has a great disposition, with older people and with kids. My father has Alzheimers and she lays right at his feet and sits next to him so proudly and watches everything he does, as if shes protecting him. And shes great with my 2yr old neice.. shes only 4months old, but shes like one of those old dogs whos had little kids around all their life, she lets my neice hug on her and pet her and play with her lips. I was just wondering, when shes older (and over her HOD) if shes still got the same disposition (which i think she still will) I think she would make a good therapy dog. She just loves people and other animals, she just loves everything! I just wondered how I would go about getting her into something like that, or if she would have to have been started off from the day i got her.
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline EnchantedGypsy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Therapy Dogs
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 03:35:37 am »
Dogs can become involved in therapy work after 1 year of age. First they need to be well-socialized, and know basic commands and manners. There are several organizations that provide certification for becoming therapy dogs. The most well-known are:
Delta Society http://www.deltasociety.org/VolunteerAboutBecome.htm
Therapy Dogs Inc.
http://www.therapydogs.com/
Therapy Dogs International
http://www.tdi-dog.org/

Good luck!
~*~*And he says 'Rhiannon don't go.... Rhiannon stay'.... And he still cries out for her.... 'Don't leave me.... don't leave me now'....*~*~

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 03:40:57 am »
thanks a lot. shes very very well socialized, she goes to all parties and functions with us, and everyones house we visit she goes to. she knows the commands, "sit", "lay down", "shake", "high five", "leave it". Shes had HOD so we havent been able to work on commands like "come" and "stay" because she had flare ups every week and was being hospitalized. she couldnt walk for a while so "stay" she did all the time... and she couldnt "come".. but now shes getting over her HOD and is walking, and we are working on those commands. she mostly responds to "come on sweetie" or "come on chloe"... so i guess shes getting the command "come" but in her own way.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 04:06:43 am »
It seems like you are on a right track with Chloe. Keep socializing her and wait for her first birthday to take the test. I would also recommend taking CGC test preparation course.  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 05:08:23 am »
I agree you are on the right track with Chole,just keep doing what your doing and by all means ck into the groups that were listed,they are national groups.If one doesn't have a chapter in your area another probably does.
CGC class and test is also a great idea and I don't think they even have to be a year old for that.For the therapy groups that is a mim age.
Some dogs are adopted or come from bad situtations,and they make great therapy dogs.You have a head start you got her as a pup and it seems she is born to it.
Good luck keep us posted on you progress.
Tricia and the fur kids

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 04:00:39 pm »
born into it i can kind of see.... she was the "layed back" pup in the group. she was always away from the rest just sitting and watching them, occationally playing. but i think what made her special is her HOD. im not saying its a good thing that shes got it, but good things have come from it. she seems to have a connection to people who are sick, like she understands how the pain is. i would really love to get her into therapy with children, really i would love to get into roswell or something, with the children that have cancer. my cousin had lymphoma, she was diagnosed when she was 2. my mans mother had brain cancer.. both servived. but i dont know about something like that because i know that their immune systems are down and theres potential to get sick from the animals.. even if the animals arent sick. i dunno though.... shes still going to need a lot of work, ive looked at whats on the tests and i think she can do well with a lot of it. i just have to work on walking on a leash because of her HOD she really never got a chance to.

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 12:45:34 am »
thank you so much, you guys are always so much help! we started getting Chloe into class a month ago, but then when her HOD acted up, there were many days when she couldnt walk or even sit up, so we had to pull her. But as soon as shes all clear we are going to get her into more classes. Chloe has been exposed to so much already, little kids running and screaming around her, people that were old and young. Loud people, shy people... i know she still has a lot of work to do... but shes been great with every situation so far. Actually, for example... my neice who will be 2 in november LOVES Chloe. she loves to hang on her and kiss and hug her. and with how little kids are, she sometimes gets too excited and gets a little rough, and Chloe never even  flinches. The other day she tried to step over her, and she accidently stepped on Chloes foot, all Chloe did was move over a little so she could get over her. But my 1yr old nephew is terrified of dogs (no one knows why, nothing has ever happened) if he even sees Chloe he cries... one day he was in his walker and Chloe went over and put her paw on his tray as if to say "hey buddy, wanna be friends" and he started SCREAMING like someone was killing him, and Chloe didnt panic, she just backed away and went and did something else. shes great at petsmart by the way, everyone comes up to her and pets her and when my man and i are busy looking at an item, she just sits or lays down and waits. The only time she ever barks is if shes really really having a good time playing, or if she needs me and im not paying attention. she doesnt chase after any other animals at all, sometimes she follows the cat around the yard begging her to play, but she never goes faster than a walk, and isnt aggressive. she recently made friends with my inlaws neighbors whos backyard joins my inlaws, and in seppareted by a chainlink fence. her neighbor has a Pom. and a Chihuahua. The Pom is actually very pretty i do have to say, but the two came up to the fence and Chloe then went up, the Pom licked Chloes face and they got along. the Chihuahua doesnt like other dogs and barked at her very aggresively... Chloe never barked back or flinched, she just walked away and didnt bother him. sorry its so long, just trying to give you a feel of what kind of temperment she has.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 06:55:47 pm »
born into it i can kind of see.... she was the "layed back" pup in the group. she was always away from the rest just sitting and watching them, occationally playing. but i think what made her special is her HOD. im not saying its a good thing that shes got it, but good things have come from it. she seems to have a connection to people who are sick, like she understands how the pain is.

Don't underestimate her...  I truly believe that dogs and cats are much more intuitive than people give them credit for.  I would not be surprised if she is connecting to sick people because of her own trials and illness...
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 06:56:14 am »
You have already gotten some great advise,and Chloe sounds like she is well on her way,and since she is so young you have time.Don't rush her,lots of people do because they are excited about getting into TD work,as long as you create as many things as you can think of to get her reaction.Espec ially away from home or in new places,she should do just fine.

We have lost friends and it is hard especially when they are kids,but never to have known them would be worse and a greater loss.

Magic has found and sought out particular rooms or offices that need a fur hug that day that have become regular visits now.

And I rarely find a day that we visit that something new doesn't happen.from machines,and beds on wheels,to kids in wagons or cars going down a hall way.

I am happy that you want to do this and I am sure that it will come about when it is suppose to.

Tricia and the fur kids