Author Topic: What's the earliest ..  (Read 4427 times)

mama23+pyrs2

What's the earliest ..
« on: August 05, 2007, 06:42:42 pm »
a big paw can go into heat? I've heard 9 mos, but that closer to a year is typical. I've become super paranoid over here since Yukon has become relentless with Yiska..I was watching them outside this morning and it's like it's the only thing he's interested in. :o They will be 8 mos in 2 weeks. I was trying to hold out getting them fixed as long as possible. Hubby just wants me to take him already, but I thought it would be better if I could hold out a little longer. I was going to fix her later than him. Now I just don't know. I know this is a sensitive topic and some of you are for it and some not. I'm sure Yukon is acting completely normal, but it's sad to see them go from being innocent buddies to him acting that way towards her. :( And I'm sure it's irritating to her too.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 06:43:51 pm by mama2many »

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: What's the earliest ..
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 07:19:05 pm »
I would say if you wait with Yukon a couple of more months you are on a safe side.
Lily is almost 13 months and no signs of heat yet. And her littermates sisters didn't go in heat either.
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 07:49:49 pm »
Sorry, I forgot to mention that with Pyrs you can "predict" when the female will go in heat 4-6 weeks before. They shed enormous amount of hair before the first heat cycle...well, most of them do (I can't speak for every dog, LOL)
Mary W. Crane

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 08:40:09 pm »
I went through having an intact male and a female in heat in the same house. It was 22 days of complete h*ll. Bubba had to be kept 100% seperate. Even then Bubba was trying to go through doors/windows to get to Lola. The whining and howling was enough to make me want to neuter him myself. ;) My hubby feels no need to neuter Bubba, I'm working on him.. but he's stubborn. :( Lola will be spayed shortly because I definitely changed my mind about waiting until she's 2 to spay.

My only suggestion would be to fix one of them and save your sanity! LOL But If you neuter Yukon now your still going to have to seperate them if Yiska does happen to go into heat or he'll pester her to no end. If you do Yiska first then you won't have to worry about that.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 08:41:05 pm by Lyn »

Offline EnchantedGypsy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 10:16:44 pm »
My future Borzoi will be my first big dog. The breeder I've been on a waiting list for a puppy from advised to spay at 12-18 months. She said all of her females have gone into heat at 18-24 months.

~*~*And he says 'Rhiannon don't go.... Rhiannon stay'.... And he still cries out for her.... 'Don't leave me.... don't leave me now'....*~*~

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 10:56:42 pm »
My future Borzoi will be my first big dog. The breeder I've been on a waiting list for a puppy from advised to spay at 12-18 months. She said all of her females have gone into heat at 18-24 months.

18-24 months??? That's incredible!!!
Mary W. Crane

Offline EnchantedGypsy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 02:01:32 am »
18-24 months??? That's incredible!!!

Yep, Zois are late-bloomers. Many don't begin their show careers until about 3 years of age when they've matured physically and have developed their full coat.
~*~*And he says 'Rhiannon don't go.... Rhiannon stay'.... And he still cries out for her.... 'Don't leave me.... don't leave me now'....*~*~

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 02:14:03 am »
i would also think that if theyre around males theyre more likely to go into heat earlier. atleast thats the case with our horses, i dont know about dogs. but we can have females in the barn who rearely go into heat at all, and as soon as a stud male comes in they go into heat. i dunno, just a thought
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 02:22:04 am »

I would not think twice about getting Yukon in to be neutered.  Eight months is a nice age to do it and certainly you have an urgent need on your hands.  You can't spay your girl for quite a while if she is already showing signs of coming into season, even if it hasn't hit full blown.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 09:08:13 pm »
Joy, our newf, just had her first heat at 16 months.  Our neutered male Tiny, Rotti, went mental, and still has his moments.  We have to keep him away from her or he trys to mount her at every turn.
Also about Borzois, I was just at a show where a 7 month old pup was winning in the show ring, so I am not too sure where your breeder got her info, these people show at a young age, (to get them used to the ring and showing) and there was lots of competition in the puppy group. :)
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com