Author Topic: What is the difference between a Kuvasz and a Great Pyrenees  (Read 60212 times)

Jen

What is the difference between a Kuvasz and a Great Pyrenees
« on: March 30, 2005, 01:16:03 pm »
I have a Great Pyrenees and I can't tell the difference.  My dog and I met a man from a a Europe and he said I have a beatiful Kuvasz and I said "Thank you". I went and looked up a picture of a Kuvasz and I can't see a difference?  Do they have double Dew Claws like a Pyr? I want to know all about Kuvasz does anyone out there have answers?

Offline Anniernc

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: What is the difference between a Kuvasz and a Great Pyrenees
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 12:55:39 pm »
HI Jen - The Kuvasz does not have any dew claws.  The GP is actually believed to be a decendent of the Kuvasz.  They are alike in appearance although the Kuvasz is alwasy whiite and has no markings.  Their personalities are very different.  The Kuvasz is very aloof and really appreciated their own space.  Hope this info helps.

Annie in Charlotte

Jen

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 01:00:50 pm »
Yup that is exactly what I was looking for!  Thank you!

HI Jen - The Kuvasz does not have any dew claws.  The GP is actually believed to be a decendent of the Kuvasz.  They are alike in appearance although the Kuvasz is alwasy whiite and has no markings.  Their personalities are very different.  The Kuvasz is very aloof and really appreciated their own space.  Hope this info helps.

Annie in Charlotte

Offline b_clark

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 02:24:05 pm »
Here is an easy place to compare a Kuvasz and a Great Pyrenees, http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/g.htm.
I adopted a dog not long ago who I was told was a Great Pyrenees mix. My officemate is dog breeder and when I told her of his personality, temperment, the way he looks, etc. she said he was probably a Kuvasz mix. Now when people ask I just say he is a big white mountain dog since he has traits of both, like the hooked tail of the Pyrenees and the single back dewclaw of the Kuvasz.

Offline glaciercreekkuvasz

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Creek Kuvasz
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 11:29:28 pm »
Go to www.akc.org and familiarize yourself with the breed standards.  Also, www.kuvasz.com has more information on kuvasz specifically.  Generally, the kuvasz is a leaner, more active dog with a wavier coat and a wedgier head with a higher earset and more alert expression. The kuvasz has front dewclaws, but NO rear dewclaws. The pyr has double rear dew claws.  Poorly bred kuvasz and poorly bred pyrs CAN nearly look alike. There was a time that kuvasz breeders bred dogs that were nearly identical to pyrs (heavier bodies and heads, long straight coat). Thankfully, those dogs are fewer and fewer in the show ring.  The hungarian standard does not allow straight coats/domy heads so perhaps the US show kuvasz is starting to be more true to the hungarian standard.

The kuvasz standard does not mention "aloof".  That is a trait many people use to excuse too shy dogs. The kuvasz standard says they should be suspicious and standing between you and any threat.  Lively is also mentioned.  A well socialized kuvasz can be outgoing and friendly in the show situation.  One with too many fear issues will appear aloof and afraid.

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org has videos of the breed winners from Westminster to show kuvasz and pyrs in action.

Offline grpyree

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 06:31:38 pm »
The www.akc.org site is just an excellent place to view both
of these breeds in action.  There can be no confusion between these two breeds once you've viewed them showing in the best of breed video.  Yes, I'll admit straight up, that I'm an ultra-devoted and proud owner of a Pyr, but there's just something so uniquely majestic about this breed. Don't get me wrong, though, the Kuvasz is a beautiful dog that is distinguished by its own sense of dignity, if you will.  But there's just something about a Great Pyrenees that is in a class all its own - all-around magical. 

Offline nkp

• Ankle Biter
  • This is Mr. Cuddle Buttons Pic
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Pottery and Pottery  Beads
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 08:42:21 pm »
I had a Kuvasz growing up and what I noticed was that his coat was much more curlier than the GP. He was a great guard dog. He always was suspicious of outsiders, but never threatened them, either, but wary, oh yea, very wary.

Natalie