Author Topic: Why isn't he eating?  (Read 4570 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Why isn't he eating?
« on: August 13, 2007, 10:10:22 pm »
Would the pain in Yukon's leg cause him to not eat? I guess it could be a number of things, the heat (wicked hot her in FL of course), a slow in growth? About 2 mos ago they both decreased the amt they were consuming greatly. Yiska has since picked back up and will finish her bowl again at meal time or shortly there after if you leave it with her. Yukon most often times doesn't touch his food. I just took his bowl out of his crate from breakfast and it hasn't been touched. That is usual for him now. They won't starve themselves I know, but can he really live on that little fuel? Did any of you notice your pups appetite decrease when they reached the 6-8 month mark? They seem to weigh about the same now, which they never have..and probably because he hasn't been eating. Normal?

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
Re: Why isn't he eating?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 10:43:35 pm »
Just a thought, maybe because he isn't exercising that could be why he isn't eating much.  Not too sure though, my dog went through a no eating faze too just a few weeks ago, now she is eating more again.  16 months old, and when she wasn't eating  she was in heat.
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 10:54:52 pm »
Kristina, I haven't been on much b/c of the health problems that I'm dealing with, but I've been reading occasionally and I've been a little worried about what you said about Yukon's limp and swelling.  Until now, I haven't wanted to really worry you, but I would definately get him vet checked asap.  Pyrs have such a high pain tolerance that often the first real sign of discomfort is a lack of appetite.  If he wasn't limping and his leg wasn't swollen, then I'd just assume that he is in between growth spurts or the hot weather was making him less active, thus less hungry.  However, with the leg problems, I'd get him checked soon and pls push for an x-ray!  My experience is that our previous vet made a lot of assumptions and did NOT do an x-ray until I specifically asked for it (thanks to a recommendation from pyr rescue).  There are lots of things that if caught soon enough are treatable, that if left even a little too long, are not.  I haven't said anything until now and I hate to worry you, but I would get it checked out and x-rayed soon and then *hopefully* you'll know that it isn't something to worry about.  Please keep us posted and give that sweet boy a hug for me.    :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 12:19:51 am »
Kristina, I haven't been on much b/c of the health problems that I'm dealing with, but I've been reading occasionally and I've been a little worried about what you said about Yukon's limp and swelling.  Until now, I haven't wanted to really worry you, but I would definately get him vet checked asap.  Pyrs have such a high pain tolerance that often the first real sign of discomfort is a lack of appetite.  If he wasn't limping and his leg wasn't swollen, then I'd just assume that he is in between growth spurts or the hot weather was making him less active, thus less hungry.  However, with the leg problems, I'd get him checked soon and pls push for an x-ray!  My experience is that our previous vet made a lot of assumptions and did NOT do an x-ray until I specifically asked for it (thanks to a recommendation from pyr rescue).  There are lots of things that if caught soon enough are treatable, that if left even a little too long, are not.  I haven't said anything until now and I hate to worry you, but I would get it checked out and x-rayed soon and then *hopefully* you'll know that it isn't something to worry about.  Please keep us posted and give that sweet boy a hug for me.    :-*

Okay, sigh. I have already been worried, just because I guess..I'm a mom and I do that and all the possibilties of bad things I read about on here. I haven't done any research on my own because I don't need to freak myself out (I'm famous for doing that). He most likely will be going in Monday, because I honestly don't see his leg improving by then, maybe it will..who really knows. But he has gotten a ton of rest..he isn't your average 8 month old puppy with boundless energy. I think he lays down more than does anything else. But yes, the appetite thing is concerning me...especiall y now that I see Yiska scarf down her food and he's always weighed a good amt more than her..so I guess he's lost some weight. :-\

I would get him in sooner but can't do it on my own with being pg and helping him get into the suv..not to mention dragging the other kids along..so the soonest I can get hubby to help is Monday. My breeder told me not to let them convince me to x-ray because of the possibility of it being broken- she said I'd know if it were by his reaction when I touced it. But I guess you're talking about other things showing up.

Ugh, I just hope it's simple. Hubby is leaning towards it being an injury because of the circumstances around it. He was perfectly fine. Went outside for less than an hour..maybe 30 mins? And came back in limping.  :-\
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 12:22:00 am by mama2many »

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 01:09:24 am »
I caved and looked up some stuff. I know why you're pushng for the x-ray now. :( I told hubby to get it done Monday to rule out anything- I'd hate to be told it's one thing, then knowing me..I'd sit and worry the diagnosis was wrong, so he said we'd get it done.

I just got him to eat almost his whole bowl of food from breakfast- so that is good. He started to knibble on his own and I think a few pieces of cheddar cheese that I then added helped out a little. ;)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 01:43:02 am »
Yeah, I know...worryin g is what we mom's do best.  ;)  :)  I'm really sorry to worry you more, and I sympathize with the idea of a pg mommy hauling 3 kids and 1 humongous puppy to the vet.  It's enough to give me a headache just thinking about it!  LOL  It's just that it doesn't sound like the rest is improving his limp or the swelling, loss of appetite and maybe some lethergy, too?   :-\   It just doesn't sound right to me.  Maybe he's just feeling sore from a sprain or strain so he's just staying still a lot, and I really hope that is what it is, but personally I just wouldn't want to risk it.  BTW, x-rays aren't as horribly expensive as they might seem.  Around here, if they can get a clear x-ray w/o sedating the dog, it's about $40 for the first x-ray and around $10 for each additional x-ray taken at the same time.  I'm sure that it varies a lot from place to place, but that might give you a general idea.  Our first vet never even mentioned the idea of x-raying, much less the approx. cost, or we would've opted for it sooner.  Personally, now if anyone here starts to limp we'll be having a quick x-ray done just to be sure.   ;)
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 02:02:57 am »
Okay, thanks guys. I'll be sure to keep you posted. I just got this feeling in my gut last night about it, and I know I'm emotional but I keep looking at him (or thinking about it) and start to cry. I'm just scared it's not simple. Find out soon enough I guess. He's just the biggest, sweetest, baby.

Thanks again.

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 02:15:52 am »
Well monday just can not get here quick enough. I always think about Yukon and Yiska because they are about the same age as Tugs. Tugs is also the sweetest little fur beast ever and he still insists on "hold me time" every nite- This is where I sit in the recliner and he sits in my lap. He is getting big and its getting more and more difficult to do this- but just how can you say no to these sweet babies. I have not had any probs with Tugs and he plays extremely rough with the girls, granted he no longer lets them roll him into the creek because he is getting so big, but they still roll him. hugs and kisses to Yuk and Yisk, keep us updated.