Author Topic: Is Benadryl Safe?  (Read 3305 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Is Benadryl Safe?
« on: August 16, 2007, 06:36:43 pm »
as a sedative for dogs? Or is there anything else that you guys can reccommend? We have to bathe the dogs on Sunday. I can't take Yukon to the vet smelly ha. With the way they freak out and fight, I don't want him injuring himself further, so I was hoping to be able to give him something to relax him a little. They just HATE the water.  Any ideas?

Offline fivestartaylor

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Scooby & Kids
    • View Profile
Re: Is Benadryl Safe?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 06:42:56 pm »
My mom swears by benadryl, but she has pugs - not big dogs. I second the smelly vet visit, I am sure they have smelled far worse.
Mom To :

Scooby 18mo. Great Dane
          &
Lucy   7yr old Labrador Retriever

2 Kids & 1 Husband -(might as well be another kid)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 06:48:25 pm »
Okay thanks, didn't think of it that way. Is the Miracle Coat something you guys find locally or do you have to order it? I don't know if I've seen it in the pet stores, I remember looking it up online once. I'll look for an alternative to make him smell better then, at least for now until he's feeling better. :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 06:50:01 pm by mama2many »

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 08:22:49 pm »
I know I've seen a dry shampoo over in the skin care section of Petsmart for dogs.  I don't remember the name of it but you could also try your local feed store.  I wouldn't use the benadryl for a sedative mainly because it can have the opposite effect. 

Just to make you smile:  At least all you are worried about is Yukon smelling like a puppy.  Shiner's internal gas plant goes into overdrive when he gets stressed out and goes to the vet.  There's not a shampoo out there that will control that stench. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 08:35:28 pm »
I know I've seen a dry shampoo over in the skin care section of Petsmart for dogs.  I don't remember the name of it but you could also try your local feed store.  I wouldn't use the benadryl for a sedative mainly because it can have the opposite effect. 

Just to make you smile:  At least all you are worried about is Yukon smelling like a puppy.  Shiner's internal gas plant goes into overdrive when he gets stressed out and goes to the vet.  There's not a shampoo out there that will control that stench. 

LOL, yeah well I can count my blessings then. :D The only worry I have is that he'll puke all over himself on the car ride there. :-\ Hopefully he's grown out of it, but he won't be eating beforehand... not that he eats much as it is.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 08:57:40 pm »
The vet may need to put Yukon under anesthetic to get the x-ray quality that he wants (if Yukon is too wiggly or something), so I wouldn't give him any meds in advance of the appt in case the vet needs to give him something, too.  You might ask them today or something if they usually give anesthetic for leg/shoulder x-rays b/c if they do, they may want you to avoid feeding him that morning before you take him in.  My vet will try the x-rays w/o anesthetic first, but I'm not sure if all will or not.  Just a thought....

Modified to add:  Silly me,  ;D  I just read your last post Kristina, and I see that you're already going to be  withholding breakfast. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 09:00:33 pm by GoldenPyrs »
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 11:27:50 pm »
i love petsmarts bathing and grooming section. theres so many alternatives to bathing and struggling. when my pups HOD acts up and she cant walk, she sometimes urinates and deficates on herself (which is just oh so icky!). instead of bathing her every few hours (she doesnt mind it, but its a chore, and not good to bath them that much!) i bought her "wipes" theyre kind of like baby wipes, only for puppies. i LOVE them! they clean her up really well and leave her smelling so nice and clean, they even give her a shine and a slight puff (that just had a bath puff) to her coat. theyre really handy too for if we are out somewhere and she gets a little mess on her, especially if we are going to someones house! im weird though, we have a "diaper bag" for our "special needs" pup. shes got all her meds, her wipes, a thermometer, food, toys.... yeah, we take it with us, i want my pup happy!
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!