Author Topic: Aussie looking for a home  (Read 16202 times)

ilovemyaussies

Aussie looking for a home
« on: March 30, 2005, 04:53:15 pm »
Argon is a beautiful blue merle neutered/male Australian Shepherd with a long fluffy tail and bright blue eyes.  He was kept kenneled outdoors or in the garage by his previous family.  Being how he wasn't getting any attention or love that he so craved, Argon found ways to escape. So, he was soon dumped into my local shelter until I helped pull him.  ARPH www.aussieresc ue.org has taken him in as part of their rescue and Im currently fostering him in hopes of finding him a great home.  This guy is "Mr. popular" with all the dogs at my house. He gets along great with my male and female Aussies as well as my Cavalier King Charles. I have a 5 ft fence and Argon has respected it as he isn't left alone all day to give him any reason to want to run away.  Argon is a mellow guy who just enjoys playing with the other dogs, lounging on the dog beds, chewing on bones and doggie toys, romping in the yard, and cuddling with the nearest person.  I am uncertain how he would be with small kids. However, he does fine with my declawed cat.  Argon rides great in the car, has been fully Vetted, is crate trained, and is learning house manners pretty quickly for never having been in the house before. Argon is currently being fostered in Central Virginia.  If interested in Argon or dogs like him, please check out ARPH's webpage www.aussieresc ue.org to learn more.  

Offline gr8rxdotcom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Aussie looking for a home
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 02:11:19 pm »
How very sweet of you to help him find a home..I sent your post to my Pet Lover's email list.........I have an Aussie we rescued from the SPCA ..she was turned in after being home alone all day while the couple was at work...she has an attitude so I affectionately call her, "Princess Bitch"...she is very attached to me and lies under my car to be sure I don't go anywhere without her, which of course I do......all my dogs are house dogs who go outside often....she prefers to be outside in winter since she has a big black coat...we hope to get that shaved in summer......go od idea?

...I'm sure he'll find a good home.....My dog has  her tail bobbed but I would not do that if I had her since she was a pup..........

btw, this breed can have seizures I am finding out...mine doesn't but another dog I rescued does and for the record, THERE IS HOPE FOR DOGS W SEIZURES AT:
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com
It often is suggested to put down dogs with seizures and I am glad I didn't listen to such advice by one vet.......we just love the dog I found who has seizures and we are managing them and he brings alot of joy into our life!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: shaving your aussie
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 02:36:39 pm »
Since your aussie is inside most of the time, shaving her should be OK. We have to shave my red merle's butt about every 4 months 'cause it gets so matted and "stuff" starts to get caught in there!

However, i wouldn't recommend shaving an aussie - especially a red or blue merle that has a lot of white - if you keep him/her outside most of the time as the pink pigmentation from the white fur can get sunburned quite easily and they can get skin cancer.

By the way, Cheers to you for rescuing her! She's a lucky girl.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline mgcsold

• Ankle Biter
  • Zachary Thomas 1 year old.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 08:39:36 pm »
I applaud you for what you are doing....if I didn't already have 3 dogs in the house I would be soooo there....but I would like to wish you luck and let you know that there are people out here who think what you are doing should be commended...

Christi
my dog is my best friend, he listens when no one else will and licks away my tears....you can not lie to your dogs they can see right into your soul, and they will love you no matter what they see there.

ilovemyaussies

Re:Shaving an Aussie
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 01:29:47 pm »
I have only shaved one Aussie in my life. That was only because she had hot spots so badly that the Vet shaved most of her hair off to aid in the healing of her hot spots. She looked horrible, so we shaved the rest of her coat like a English Springer Spaniel/Cocker Spaniel.  I would have never shaved her otherwise.  I just bathe my dogs once a month and brush/groom them up once a week. I haven't had any problems with matts. However, my dogs are inside pets and aren't outdoors in the brush/mud/etc to have to do much more than that.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 02:22:25 pm »
Yeah, I suppose if I brushed him once a week that would cut down on the mats, but he hates being brushed. He'll turn around and nip at my hands. However, he LOVES to be vacuumed! He's a big weirdo.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

ilovemyaussies

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 07:16:22 pm »
Just wanted to let everyone know Argon has been adopted!!!  He was one awesome dog and I am so happy he finally found a family to call his own. ;D

Thanks for the space   :D