Author Topic: Bored of the same old food?  (Read 3814 times)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Bored of the same old food?
« on: September 03, 2007, 05:22:49 pm »
Teddy seems bored of his food.  He doesn't get excited when I feed him and sometimes his breakfast will sit all day until he finally eats it around suppertime.  He used to eat 3 meals/day!  I think he's just tired of the same old thing.  He looks fine, slim but not bony, but just isn't eating as much as I think he should  :-\.

Do you do anything to dress up your dog's food?

Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Nicole

Re: Bored of the same old food?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 05:24:54 pm »
What are you feeding him? He might need a switch. And like Tina said, he might just not be as active and growing.

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 05:43:28 pm »
Teddy is about 20 months old now and has been holding at 150-155 lbs for quite a few months now.

I feed him Nutro Lg Breed lamb&rice.  He's been on that since about January.  Only changed because I became single and couldn't afford the "good stuff" anymore and I thought it was a mid-range compromise. 

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 07:37:37 pm »
We switched to Orijen recently and it's the only food he's ever finished. He still isn't a big eater, eats the full 4 cups on a good day (still less than recommended on the bag but the most he will eat in a day), 2 on a lazy day. It is way higher in protein but he eats less than recommended on the bag, no big growth spurts or weight gain so far. I've found that it isn't expensive and at Ryan's (Global) you get a free bag after X amount purchased and they often have coupons in the coupon book that comes in the mail.

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 08:34:31 pm »
I bought him a bag of Royal Canin Giant Breed food.  He's not interested in that either (Have you seen the size of the kibbles in that food?  Huge!).  He's just not as hungry I guess, not growing as much? warmer weather? (Or maybe now he's spoiled and wants the "candy" dog food I've been topping his other kibble with! LOL) Oh well, either way, I think Royal Canin is probably a better food for him and I'll slowly switch him and leave him on that.

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 09:56:16 pm »
I WAS feeding approx 13c of the Nutro L&R earlier this spring/summer and he was just holding his weight at about 150#.  Thats why this slow down had me quite perplexed.  He's now eating about half that (which sounds like is normal for most dogs!)  He may even eat less on the Royal Canin since its a much better food!!

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 12:37:38 am »
Vets tend to prefer that dogs are fed less rather than more. It's not bad for dogs to feel hunger, since that's a natural feeling for them if they were out in the wild. Ideally, he should be scarfing down everything you put in front of him. So if he's not, save some money and start feeding him less.

I would also consider the amount of exercise/activity, which changes with the season too.
Rosie - Newfoundland